What makes a custom Buck?

I have a 475 with elk cutout and elk etch in the dymondwood scales. I really like it. It is marked custom in the stamp. I've seen others marked Buck USA that were exactly like it. The same with an elk stag 192. Mine is marked buck 192 usa but I've seen others exactly like it but with custom in the stamp. did one go through the custom shop and the other exact knife not?

Long ago Buck Knives did have a true custom shop, you could order most anything and there were craftsman that could make it. It no longer exists.

Today, as I understand it, those marked custom are special runs, but go thru the production line. The 118 I posted is marked custom and has 5160 steel...special run for Copper and Clad. The ones that we can order with special scales, blades and steel are also marked custom. Hopefully they get special attention but are made on the production line.

There are craftsmen at Buck Knives today capable of custom work and do produce build outs. I know Joe Houser along with his regular duties makes one offs of different models, a 184 Buckmaster blade, mirror polished with an elk antler handle comes to mind. He also did the 'Black Widow' 119. HTH, Preston

Long ago Buck Knives did have a true custom shop, you could order most anything and there were craftsman that could make it. It no longer exists.

Today, as I understand it, those marked custom are special runs, but go thru the production line. The 118 I posted is marked custom and has 5160 steel...special run for Copper and Clad. The ones that we can order with special scales, blades and steel are also marked custom. Hopefully they get special attention but are made on the production line.

There are craftsmen at Buck Knives today capable of custom work and do produce build outs. I know Joe Houser along with his regular duties makes one offs of different models, a 184 Buckmaster blade, mirror polished with an elk antler handle comes to mind. He also did the 'Black Widow' 119. HTH, Preston

Thanks Preston,

Any idea when the custom shop essentially stopped? Both my 475's have no year stamp.

MP

This is a quote, in another thread, from member David Martin, he's much more knowledgeable than I..."Buck's first Custom Shop was started in 1980 and went to about 89. Then Richard Rochelle's custom offerings went from 2004-2009. Then in 2010 (about) the current one began.
DM" HTH, Preston

ETA...Buck used an anvil as a date code in the anniversary year 2002, could your's be from that year?

Possibly,

One with an elk cutout has Buck-(anvil)-custom-USA tang stamp. The other has a deer cutout with white bone scales only has a Buck-USA stamp on it. Though research this seems to be common for this knife. I like them though. Perfect every day carry knife.

Thanks again, mp

mp, the Buck-(anvil)-custom-USA tang stamp seems to be a 'custom', i.e. special run. the Buck-USA stamp is unique, 'cause it seemingly has no date stamp. Photos would help. Preston

here is a pic of 2 identical knives.
dateposted
dateposted

what makes one custom and one not?

I'm not seeing a picture. There is a sticky at the start of this forum about posting photos. Preston

well, I've tried posting pics in every way possible from 2 different host sites. I was able to post the first time but no go now.

Back