What makes a fighting knife

I know I post this knife often but it is one of my ideal "fighters" and just knives in general.

d9b869733d718c7fe90be8e3f2a24183.JPG

Very nasty design. I see it easily making a mess of someone.

Also, I'd like to direct some attention to this one:

Glock_Field_Knife_78.jpg

It is well known as a utility knife but it has amazing stabbing ability.

Most real life knife fights are one sided, and even then the knives used are kitchen cutlery or cheap no-name folders.

The Glock knife costs around the same as a decent kitchen knife or low end acceptable folder.

Thus I propose this knife to be one one of the best fighting knives... if knife fighters knew about them...

I'd like to see that. Can we expect a sketch or a finished product?
Hopefully both but will be a bit. I really want to hammer it out instead of stock removal which means i have to get a forge together. Ive been working on shop tools lately. Ill probably do a model cardboard one first like I did with the micro folder. Will definitely be a challenge with the curves but what aint?

Hopefully both but will be a bit. I really want to hammer it out instead of stock removal which means i have to get a forge together. Ive been working on shop tools lately. Ill probably do a model cardboard one first like I did with the micro folder. Will definitely be a challenge with the curves but what aint?

I imagine drawing something out from scratch can be difficult. I've tried to do it myself with little success. I've had the most success just tracing out other designs and maybe modifying them. And of course taking a drawing and making it real would be more difficult. I have some bar stock that I hope to turn into knives one day, but I lack the tools and those with the tools have been completely unavailable.

JWB, that ginunting set is gorgeous! -if i could afford it, i might order one!

is that a japanese-style ito paracord wrap on the scabbards? as a suggestion, for perfection, the scabbards IMHO would traditionally be wrapped in rattan strips (or more modernly - desert paracord minus the inner guts, for durability) in a spiral wrap or turks heads.

here's one of mine i just repaired in rattan: (the dark brown one was the last original rattan turks head.

moro.jpg

as i received it, someone had tarted it up with crinkled brass bands which had to go.

straight kris 001.jpg

next job is to re-wrap the grip after removing the current leather thong wrap, which, tho nicely done, is also not traditional - leather rots quickly in the jungle.
(another 'knife' i'd happily bring to a gun fight - along with an m-16 of course, over 100 yrs old & still you can shave with it.)

p.s. - recently found out the grip fittings, the baca-baca blade clamps, and the separate blade guard itself (ganja) are all silver (Ag), along with the laminated steel blade, a rare beasty.

Last edited:
Also, I'd like to direct some attention to this one:

Glock_Field_Knife_78.jpg

It is well known as a utility knife but it has amazing stabbing ability.

Most real life knife fights are one sided, and even then the knives used are kitchen cutlery or cheap no-name folders.

The Glock knife costs around the same as a decent kitchen knife or low end acceptable folder.

Thus I propose this knife to be one one of the best fighting knives... if knife fighters knew about them...

I have had an original Glock field knife since before Gaston got into guns...the knife contract was what gave a plastic pellet salesman the money to go for the gun contract with zero knowledge of guns....

The knife is thick, short in depth, very wide angle to primary grind, about useless for any slice or draw cut, nor can it chop or hack, and is suitable mainly for poking holes in things....it has stayed around only due to historicity and otherwise has sat unused since the 80s after initial attempts to find any use for it failed completely....it DOES have the way cool alternating parallel rows of sawteeth which the Germans have always done with perfection and precision...the second reason i have kept the thing....

I have always pretty much kept to the Applegate training as i have never been in a duel with a trained martial artist but only in things where everybody gets hurt no matter who wins and winners just as likely to die....there is no glory in it....

i somehow wound up with two sand colored glock knives.not bad. about as robust as the guns they make. has a stub tang press fit into a steel tube (you can remove the butt plug and store stuff in there) but i've not heard of any failures. i dislike the newer 'saw teeth' trendy version. mine are the older plain ones. i suspect anyone who has actually sawn thru anything with the teeth on any blade spine had massive blisters and was worn out by the effort.

19c army pioneers worldwide tried them as a gimmick, but the troops hated them as they were useless. in ww1 the germans, reacting to allied propaganda, eventually ground off the saw teeth on most of the bayonets (they also were fairly useless for cutting stuff).

having said that, i have other knives i'd choose first for any task i can think of. if it was the only one i had available, i would not feel under-dressed tho. poking holes in things is effective sometimes. i favour the don't let him see your knife until you are close enough to stab him quickly about ten times in a second or two and then retreat school of using a knife. i don't wanna fight fair or use the marquis of queensbury code duello. if it ever happens i want to walk away unharmed as much as possible afterwards.

i recall a video of some us marines (or maybe rangers) a nd some filipino martial artists in mock knife fights with red magic markers & white t-shirts, the filipinos usually won on points, but their fancy dance work and routines went out the window & no one escaped unmarked.

the best piece of steel to bring to a knife fight remains the 1911 in .45 acp. just make sure it is out of the holster and cocked before you get close to the other guy with a blade.

Last edited:
The saw teeth were original as far as i know...this knife is from their first run and has the teeth....the old (now scratched and worn) glossy finish.....the teeth are for notching and not sawing....we trained with markers as well, including sentry silencing....the guy who ended up with a stripe on side of neck had to wear it until it wore off....and no glory in it.....nothing but ugly and blood all over....they should make it mandatory that all war movies be as realistic as Saving Private Ryan at minimum....once you have been there, it is not something you ever want to do again except neccessity and duty....there is nothing cool about reducing a human to a pile of steaming meat.

Last edited:
the glock model 81 has the teeth. the model 78 doesn't. i assumed, maybe incorrectly, that the lower model number came first. mine are model 78s. wiki linky does not mention production dates.

I do not know for sure my own self....this one came over with Glock salesmen peddling wares to DEA "back in the day" as they say, and was a real yawner.

see This Linky it appears the model 78 came out first in 1978 for the austrian army, followed later by the 81 for sopecial forces who wanted the saw teeth. maybe it hit the states first tho ;)

'nother linky - 78 came in 1978, 81 in 1981, was not adopted by the austrian army as it violated the geneva convention as when used as a bayonet it may cause unnecessary suffering.(?) as if getting stabbed with a 78 wouldn't...

Last edited:
I never paid enough attention to the knives after using one to even know the model numbers....as soon as you posted them, i figured i was wrong.....i ended up with it by default after it went around the team....you want it?...nah....how about you? .....nah....and you?....nah.....ask Mikey to try it, he'll try ANYthing.....many germanic woods knives have continued the parallel sharp row of teeth through the years, but mainly on fancy expensive ones and quite useful for intended notching purposes to construct pallets, lash poles, building things....it reminded me of the bayonet a classmate brought for show and tell in 5th grade so i ended up with it....it is in my general kitchen drawer as backup bottle opener in case i lose the two church keys i never use for anything either...as for killing, i would bet many have never even killed a chicken or eaten a bug, much less a person....and that is a good thing...

JWB, that ginunting set is gorgeous! -if i could afford it, i might order one!

is that a japanese-style ito paracord wrap on the scabbards? as a suggestion, for perfection, the scabbards IMHO would traditionally be wrapped in rattan strips (or more modernly - desert paracord minus the inner guts, for durability) in a spiral wrap or turks heads.

here's one of mine i just repaired in rattan: (the dark brown one was the last original rattan turks head.

View attachment 549173

as i received it, someone had tarted it up with crinkled brass bands which had to go.

View attachment 549174

next job is to re-wrap the grip after removing the current leather thong wrap, which, tho nicely done, is also not traditional - leather rots quickly in the jungle.
(another 'knife' i'd happily bring to a gun fight - along with an m-16 of course, over 100 yrs old & still you can shave with it.)

p.s. - recently found out the grip fittings, the baca-baca blade clamps, and the separate blade guard itself (ganja) are all silver (Ag), along with the laminated steel blade, a rare beasty.
Thanks Kronck!
The wraps are stripped black 550-i was going to do turks' heads but opted for simpler stuff...
I'd love to learn to do rattan wraps like Jun Silva does-i'm a brick when it comes to cordage related stuff though. Takes me forever.

here's a link on braiding rattan rings. i tried that on mine but they didn't come out too well, i think i missed something following the destructions from steve (who is also a member here), so i elected to just do a simple spiral wrap with the ends tucked under 3 turns (which is also a traditional style). you wet rattan to make it flexible & it seems to shrink & tighten a bit when it dries.

I thank you for the link but even with paracord or rope and being sent interservice to a Navy deck duty and knot tying school, i am as likely to tie myself to the knife as knot...

i was an engineer officer, we had deckies to tie knots if we needed them, had a deck officer show me how to macrame belts out of small stuff. that was during hippy times when they were popular. of course, not all deckies were qualified knotists. ;) they did have their uses tho.

I very much appreciate the links to the Glock info, even though much conflict in info...but hopefully the 1095 at 55 Rc is correct and if this is a fine fighting knife then so is a Jet Pilot Hunting/Survival Knife whose teeth and guard an aid to opening sheet metal aircraft.

The Glock is dinky and contract claims of clearing vegetation or processing game are laughable...and a cheap knife as sloppy early what looks like spray paint and nothing else...the Glock boys probably stopped by Spookville too while making the rounds with this one
..a modern "pound knife through wood" nut might like them, it probably makes a dandy wedge
Quick and dirty shots on workbench junk table...i DID at least move overflowing ashtray...

But will admit if can be found for under $40, a nice cheap tough sticker if you like plastic....personally would take my M3 or M7 over it as they are even harder to break and have a sharpened upper edge....

I had personally hoped to read in links that it had the case harden of the gun slides/barrels but it predates them and apparently the need when black paint will do...and i do not especially trust most Glock info as fans are sure they are sprinkled with magic pixie dust as well and go overboard ascribing things they only hope are true...

Last edited:
Back