What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Nice trio Tiger!
There is something about that juxtaposition of details! Amber hilights in sawcut bone, lined, clearly stamped bolsters. Classic blades, in a regular Jack format!
What's not to love???:)

Atiger, if I ever win the lottery, I'm finding you and throwing wads of cash into your hands until you open up that Barlow vault! I am constantly in awe of your collection. Beautiful knives, as always!

My latest - I really like the flatter profile on the bone on this bluegrass - similar to the TC but even flatter- i prefer it to a more rounded style.

SH7SGNQ.jpg

YWzojZA.jpg

Last edited:
Do your old barlows have most of the blades left and good function or do you buy some just for the stamp and closed look?

Your collection is too good to be true.

Thank you for the compliment. While it's hard to find old knives that have complete and unused full blades, most of mine have decent blades with good snap and have been well taken care of by their previous owners. They get carried regularly and used for typical pocketknife chores. A few of the really old ones get what I call an "honor carry" occasionally but aren't used for much cutting. While I do have a few that I picked up as "conversion pieces" only, I try to stick with those knives that are interesting, in good shape and are fully functioning. Generally the knives I post on the forum meet that standard. Honestly, knives with broken or extremely worn blades, wobble or worn-out springs aren't as much fun to carry no matter how rare they are. That's just my opinion - others may disagree and I can certainly see their point also.

Again, thank you for the nice compliment.

Nice! When were those "everydays" made, Trav?

Last edited:
Back