What SAK for woods - Farmer or Forester

Hi,

which one would you prefer for walks in the woods (like when walking the dog)?

The Forester
+ larger, lockable blade
+ longer saw

The Farmer
+ generally tougher
+ great awl
+ easier to carry
+ useable also as EDC (no need to switch knives)

I don't want to carry two knives (two SAKs anyway) for shorter trips - so I'm looking for different viewing angles. :)

Thank you for your opinions! :)

Farmer has more advantages according to your own assessment. I would tend to agree with you that it is probably the best choice.

Farmer. unless you know for certain you want the larger blade, but I'd prefer the farmer for carry, and it has a more robust blade, even if it is shorter.

All around, the Farmer unless it's a dedicated camp tool. If so, the Forester's saw is better.

I go 130mm in the woods. Because of the Saw.
62daab2459b30f8265f47d3d03d17d3b.jpg

The larger blade is nice too, since I use the knife for food preparation when I'm camping.

I carry a Farmer a lot when walking my lab. I live in the country and my dog walks are on trails in the mountains, so carrying the Farmer just seems appropriate.

I carry a Farmer while hiking or hunting. It takes care of my needs while being in a compact package.

I have never tried a Forester so I can't say anything about it. I can see where some might want a longer blade for the saw.

My green forester fills the hand better and has a rubberized grip, so it would be my preference on an extended trip

Thank you for you opinions! :)
It seems that I ended up with this combination
- Pioneer all the time (usually RRP)
plus
- Forester in RFP when going for a walk in the woods OR Forester in a bag when going anywhere with bag

The Pioneer seems to have catched me with its low profile and weight. :)

My green forester fills the hand better and has a rubberized grip, so it would be my preference on an extended trip
By rubberized grip you mean the dual density scales?

I go 130mm in the woods. Because of the Saw.
The larger blade is nice too, since I use the knife for food preparation when I'm camping.
Yeah, I agree. I had the Vic Rangergrip 79 but sent it back because of a problem with the joint of the bottle opener. Nice knife though, mayber a little too heavy ...

Back