What to do with my Pelican cases?

I picked up some Pelican cases cheap from a military surplus sale. I love how solid and rugged they are and I couldn't beat the price. I just need some ideas on what to use them for. I have:

1x 1150 (small)
1x 1400 (small/medium)
1x 1500 (medium/large)
1x 1600 (large)

The dimensions of all of these are online if you need a better idea. None of them have foam in them, but I can get the replacement pick-and-pluck foam cheaply enough that I don't mind buying it if the idea involves custom fitting something.

So give me your best ideas on how to use my Pelicans.

**PLEASE NOTE: While "send them to me" is usually humorous, it's not gonna happen** :D

You can work out so that you will be able to carry them :D......Otherwise Bushman5 will gladly take them off your hands. I've offload all my pelican cases. Thought they were ultra cool before and now find them a hinderance. First they are too heavy. Second, the thief world now sees these things and think 'expensive camera or computer gear'. You take them through the border and customs agents get all curious as to whats in the big cases....Too much hassel....

I just have the one small one and I use it to keep my camera in when I hit the woods. The Cannon fits it perfectly.

1) fire-starting kit
2) small tool kit
3) first aid kit
4) sharpening kit
5) ammo box
6) cell-phone drybox

etc.

I only use mine for my phone/camera when I'm at the beach, fishing, or on the trail. Like KGD said - I thought the idea of small Pelicans was a great idea for everything so I bought a bunch of them and then realized they didn't really work for ME. I ended up giving a bunch of them away.

smaller cases: cell phones, ipods, first aid kits, important papers.
larger cases: cameras, other expensive things

I normally drive around a Civic, so I keep a 1650 in the trunk as a "just in case" case. :D Normally it has two lights, a couple of sets of clothes, batteries, water, and blankets. Nothing major.

It also doubles as the most bad ass suit case ever.

I have a small one with a lock that I put my 38 special S&W model 49 bodyguard in when I am not carrying it. Keeps the kids out of it till they figure out it's only plastic and easily opened. Keep one with two small wakies, or cell phone, survial gear, for canoe use.

I also love the guarantee they offer.

Pelican Products, Inc. guarantees its products for a lifetime against breakage or defects in workmanship. Pelican™ injection molded cases are guaranteed to be watertight to a depth of 3.3 feet (1 meter) for 30 minutes (IP 67) unless otherwise stated if properly closed with undamaged o-ring in place. Pelican’s liability is limited to the case and not its contents or foam. This guarantee does not cover the lamp or batteries (rechargeable or alkaline) for lights. Any liability, either expressed or implied, is limited to replacement of the product. This guarantee is void if the Pelican product has been abused beyond normal and sensible wear and tear. This guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack or damage caused by children under five.
http://www.pelican.com/support/guarantee.php

I have 6 cans of bear spray stored in a Peli 1500. I did this after a canister self vented INSIDE my home and nearly killed the pets (cats).

Got a small BooBoo FAK in a Peli 1010 case

got my Emerson folders inside a Peli 1030 case

got a fire kit in a Peli 1010 case

got all my tobacco pipes stored in a 1500 case

got a basic FAK inside a rolling 1650 case

got an irrigation & dressing kit inside a rolling 1650 case

a chainsaw trauma kit (10 large stomach dressings, 30 6" x 5 meter roll gauze, 10 rolls tape, 1 roll duct tape, 20 cotton rolls for wound packing, 3 tourniquets, 1 trauma shear, 1 heavy duty heat tarp, 4 chem ice packs, 2 industrial sharpies, RITR notebook inside a orange 1600 case. I designed the kit for massive trauma injuries or amputations caused by chainsaws.

got a large Peli rifle case with all my axes inside, nestled in foam and there is also VCI paks inside to prevent rust.

got a 350 Cube Case for my arb gear

got a 1430 toploader case line with velcro and PALS rows for an EDC kit

got a bunch others, cant remember, too many of them

at some point i want nothing but Pelican cases for storage and furniture

I've got a 1500 with my Sig 229 and it's accessories. Very sturdy and locks up solid. With a small cable it attaches to the car seat base and won't be stolen, can't be seen with a dirty blanket over it.

10443538-md.jpg

mighty nice to bury out in the woods as a cache if you have little invested in them.

i'm too poor to buy one - i got mine from SEAL Team 3.

a bucket and Gamma Seal is about as close as i'd go to a new one in most cases, or i'll just make one myself nowadays, if i need a special rifle box or something.

vec

Just a warning: I've seen buried plastic buckets deteriate quickly when buried and have little crush strength.

Got my Pelican 1500 on Ebay for around $50. Cheap for as tough as they are built.

I used a big Pelican case as a briefcase/ BOB for several years. Now I use it to store knives in- which it works great for. It has a lock on it, so my kid can't get into it and eviscerate himself.It's my "spill-over" safe- since my safe is completely jammed full. I have a couple other Pelican cases I use to carry drawings around in- which they're great for- being totally un-crushable!

They're great for expensive things you don't want damaged- or fiddled with by other people. :thumbup:

Second, the thief world now sees these things and think 'expensive camera or computer gear'. You take them through the border and customs agents get all curious as to whats in the big cases....Too much hassel....

I'm happy to accept the weight for the inherent protection. I bought cheap, nondescript plastic travel bags to disguise my larger Peli cases for traveling.

I quite like them and have 17,several of the same size, though in different colours for different activities.

Unfortunately, they tend to be extremely expensive in the UK, that apart, I've had no problems allocating specific gear to the most suitable size and coloured case.

Got Otter Boxes and Outdoor Products cases too, but the Peli cases remain my favorites.

Back