What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Aargh!!! I am doing my best but I can not get to grips with this picture posting lark , what I was trying to explain is that after three days of handling my #35 Harness Jack that extra quarter of an inch is a deal breaker for me, I definitely prefer the three and a half frames or even the three inch frame of the #14 Lick Creek. I shall just have to put the #35 down as a lesson learned, maybe bring it out from time to time for its superb slicing capability.

Greetings from beautiful Vienna Austria! I'm here for a week of business meetings. I'm not carrying anything today, or for the rest of my trip for that matter. Out of curiosity I checked their laws before leaving. They are quite liberal/rational about 'weapons' unlike most of the EU, but I didn't want to risk anything valuable in the checked luggage. (I did pack a CRKT Little Guppy multi-tool. Quite a handy device. I won't get Frank worked up with a pic ;), but look it up if you like that sort of thing.)

I'm making up for this self induced drought by enjoying the food and beer (bier). I will tell you that we've got nothing on the Austrians when it comes to sausages, cheese and brews, and that's coming from a Wisconsin boy.:D I'll try to post pics of the breakfast spread on the Porch.

You have to try "Käsekrainer" and "Sachertorte" and for the beers, from Austrian one I like Puntigamer (Lager), Wieselburger (Lager) and Stiegl Weißbier. Erdinger (Bavarian) is my favourite Weißbier. Hopefully you can also find a Solingen cutlery shop, I've come across them in Austria, although Vienna is not my strong point, I'm more used to the southern Austrian States. Enjoy!

R.W Loveless drop point and a Texas jack from Tony Bose today,

img_20170325_092406_295-jpg.700142

tb1-jpg.700143

Have a great Saturday folks

Attachments

• IMG_20170325_092406_295.jpg
    IMG_20170325_092406_295.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 203
  • TB1.jpg
    TB1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 202
Thank you Tony Bose for this bent gunstock pattern.
This prototype has been in my pocket for a while.
It seems strange posting with the new format.......everything changes I guess:)

IMG_0208_zpsexpyfrsr.jpg

Everything does change Mark! Including your work, it just keeps getting better and better my friend! That's a beautiful gunstock! :thumbsup::cool:

r8shell r8shell @paulhilborn Nice 2014 Stag Jacks! One of my absolute favorite 77's! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Starting off today with this Tribal Lock in my pocket. I have noticed some comments about the F&F and the shade of the Bone on this particular model. I did buy this one in person and I really didn't have much choice on the Smooth Antique Bone because the dealer only had this one in stock. Overall I am pleased with the Bone. The lock up is rock solid. The blade is off center just around .030" when closed, which actually looks more than it is because of the narrow channel. The only thing that really bothered me on this one is the fact that they ground probably.015" or so from the spine of the blade at the tang so it would be flush at lockup. This means to me that the pivot hole was off. If they had ground the spine and blended in a little more in length most people would probably not notice it. But they only ground an area of around a 1/2" which makes it more noticeable, at least to me. At the same time I bought this Smooth Antique, I bought an Amber Jigged model. I had two to pick from on this one and picked the best of the two. It has absolutely no flaws that I can find. :)

Hoping you all have a great weekend! :D

33950638301_03bd758138_b_d.jpg

I know a few others have given this one due praise. But just wanted to add my twopence and say this is a truly stunning knife. Never seen one before. Please forgive my ignorance John, but was this a special run or a beautiful anomaly within the old barn chest nut release?

Thanks for asking, a photo of the backside will help clear things.

gecmammoth2.jpg

Since GEC didn't make the exact knife I wanted, contacted Evan who did a fantastic job rehafting a barn chestnut with blue / cream mammoth ivory I provided.

The Stevens crackshot .22 single shot rifle was purchased by my grandfather in the 1950s for $2 when he worked at the local sporting goods store. It's the first gun I ever shot, first gun my boy ever shot, first gun my granddaughter ever shot, and when my grandson gets big enough, it will be his first gun too. Don't get it out of the safe very often, but this knife is special and deserved it. Thanks Evan.

gecmammoth3.jpg

Thanks for asking, a photo of the backside will help clear things.

gecmammoth2.jpg

Since GEC didn't make the exact knife I wanted, contacted Evan who did a fantastic job rehafting a barn chestnut with blue / cream mammoth ivory I provided.

The Stevens crackshot .22 single shot rifle was purchased by my grandfather in the 1950s for $2 when he worked at the local sporting goods store. It's the first gun I ever shot, first gun my boy ever shot, first gun my granddaughter ever shot, and when my grandson gets big enough, it will be his first gun too. Don't get it out of the safe very often, but this knife is special and deserved it. Thanks Evan.

gecmammoth3.jpg

John, that pile side photo is really beautiful as well. It actually is not surprising that Evan did this rehafting. He has turned out many beautiful 15's and his work just keeps getting better and better! Your Stevens is quite a keepsake! I can imagine it has provided a lot of tasty meals for your family since it was first purchased! :)

View attachment 700264 Picked this one up from the exchange a few weeks ago. Using Bret's photo since I don't have one better.

Whoa. I've never picked up a wharncliff only knife (maybe I should?). I just don't find the swayback to be pretty (please don't shoot me purists lol! It's strictly opinion). But that is just incredible!

Whoa. I've never picked up a wharncliff only knife (maybe I should?). I just don't find the swayback to be pretty (please don't shoot me purists lol! It's strictly opinion). But that is just incredible!

I don't prefer a straight edge only knife Joey but this was too nice to pass on. I prefer a single blade to have some belly, but for most edc uses, a straight edge won't leave you stranded throughout the day lol. (I like the Swayback pattern but the City Knife pattern is much nicer)

Back