What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The Joker steel seems to darken, and then lighten again :confused: ...
That one goes back quite a while GT :) They are inexpensive knives, but well-made I think, and everyone I've gifted them to has been very pleased with them I think. I haven't seen one for sale in a while though. I think you'd like the L'Ecureuil, like the Douk-Douk, it's a simple well-made knife, with a blade which takes a great edge :) Have a relaxing weekend pal, it sounds like you've earned it. I like your pair of matching pairs :) :thumbsup:
Sounds like you have a "miracle" Joker, Jack! ;) Thanks for the recommendation regarding the L'Ecureuil; I also think I'd like that knife, with the only drawback being I have trouble spelling "squirrel", let alone "L'Ecureuil"! :eek:

Nice! I started a little spoon a while back, but I can't find it now. Maybe that means I should spend my holiday weekend decluttering/cleaning...Naaah. I'm too idle. :p

Pile side:
I did a bunch of the usual Saturday chores yesterday (4 loads of laundry, get groceries, mow the lawn, rake up "oak droppings", clean the bathroom, sweep the floor mats and basement stairs, pay some bills), but I'm definitely working on idleness for today and tomorrow! ;)

Hi, I'm a new guy here. Just joined today. I've been scouring this forum for a couple of months. You have some awesome people here, looks like from all over the world. Me, I'm a bit of an antique myself, having been retired for several years. I hope to be able to participate more, once I figure everything out, like how to post pics, and whether I have even put this post in the right place...lol. I placed it here because I have been reading this topic for days. You guys have some beautiful knives, and I am enjoying looking at all the photos.
Welcome, blade chaser! :thumbsup: Lot of nice knives to look at here, and IMHO, even nicer people! :cool:

Into the Garden (series) and Beyond

Mark Job Barlow amidst the Samaras

34539778040_4b75c7b3a3_b.jpg

Splendid photo and sublime knife, Gev! :thumbsup: And thanks for teaching me a new word! :cool: We always just called those maple helicopters. :rolleyes: "Samara" from you and "samosa" from Jack expanded the "S" section of my vocabulary! :D

Went for a quick hike at a local state park this morning, carrying these two.

And had a little company while I was there. She wasn't afraid of me at all, this is maybe 10 yards away :).
The blue fob on your orange Farmer makes me think that carrying the blue and orange Farmers together would be like spring weather: bright and cool! :thumbsup: But it might put somebody's eye out! Oh deer! ;)

Nothing fancy. A Buck 301 in black Valox covers. Mostly because I have a thing for Buck 301's. Always have. (Sorry for the pic. It's the only one I have with this particular 31.)
0a9295ff-3fd3-412b-b967-f5c03c31dc73_zpsd10gcdmt.jpg
Good to see your classic Buck 301, Frank! :cool:

I will think of a series to go with your suggestion, Gary :thumbsup: Thank you ! I find the Marbles workman series very intriguing !
Thanks for the Marbles compliment, Gev; they certainly seem like inexpensive knives capable of hard work, just like the old Imperials I'm quite fond of. :thumbsup:

I love the Buck 300 series, I have a few, do you ever spin them on their backsprings ? Greatest spinnin' knife out there, they were the original fidget spinners. ;)
I see that piece of cardboard under the etched blade ;). Try puttin' a big bag of rice down with a cloth over it to shoot your pics. You can position your knife/knives anywhere or way you want.
It's comforting to know I'm not the only knife-spinner, Ted! :D And thanks for the photo tip; I'm always looking for ideas that can help me move from camera novice to someone who can get half my shots to be "keepers". :rolleyes:

Thank you, Gary! It is always good to see that very special knife; it is an incalculably appropriate carry for you.
Have a good weekend all. I'm still trying to figure out what to carry on Memorial Day. I went with a simple Vic Cadet today (the one at the bottom of the photo).

That orange Alox pair is very cheerful! :cool: Thanks for the kind words on the scrimshaw, and I see what you did there! :D

Gary, I was up at 4:00 AM with some recurring tooth pain! :eek: I have another root canal scheduled for Wednesday. :( ...
Sorry to hear about the ongoing tooth problems, Ron! :( Wednesday is a long time to operate on limited sleep! Does your DDS or oral surgeon give you any painkillers to make it until the next appointment?

View attachment 713764 View attachment 713765 New to me Catt that will be riding in my watch pocket for the foreseeable future
Jamie, that knife is ravishing!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lord have mercy, Jamie !

Tonight's Menagerie ;)

Focus on the cuts
34547367160_524a0bce0f_b.jpg
Gev, that's a cool photo, and I'm envious that you're already harvesting tomatoes and peppers, but I've spent WAY too much time staring at the pic trying to discern the "hidden meaning"!! :eek::mad::confused: (My wife says she sees a toucan.)

This was in the mailbox when I got back in town tonight, a Zulu Spear in black linen Micarta by Ian Vanreenen:cool::thumbsup:

It's 3 3/4" closed, double pinned acorn shield, a CPM 154 hollow ground blade thats solid and centered and sits flush in all three positions. This knife is a pleasure to own and use:thumbsup:
NnjSDm.jpg
Congrats, Paul, that is a majestic knife, fashionable AND functional! :cool::thumbsup:

Grand MAM, FBC! :cool:

Another provocative pair, Jack! :cool: I like the photo of the Mauser in the pines! :thumbsup:

I am going to carry a pair of Reds today. I hope everyone has a great weekend!:D

33531347041_7dceeed7c9_b_d.jpg
Ron, when I was a kid growing up during the Cold War, there was a slogan "Better Dead than Red"; I'm sure they were NOT thinking about knives like your beauties!! :thumbsup::D

A family BBQ today, I've got these two with me. A custom and an old Primble scout.

Superlative pair, Tom! :thumbsup: Hope you enjoyed the BBQ, but didn't get sauce on that white handle!! :eek:;)

More wild weekend off the prescribed schedule for me. :rolleyes:
Another matched pair of Marbles with stag bone covers and "damascus etch" blades: a stockman (thanks, Randy) and a canoe.
a1iiCVY.jpg

JVzwgZj.jpg

Also a weird but wonderful little whittler and a marlin spike, both from Rough Rider:
oM1LC74.jpg

CiN6uR5.jpg

- GT

Sounds like you have a "miracle" Joker, Jack! ;) Thanks for the recommendation regarding the L'Ecureuil; I also think I'd like that knife, with the only drawback being I have trouble spelling "squirrel", let alone "L'Ecureuil"! :eek:

LOL! :D I perhaps didn't explain that very well, but the steel doesn't seem to hold a patina as well as some other carbon steels. Much the same with D2 tool steel, you can force a patina, but it seems to sit right on the surface, and is easily wiped off again. That's my experience anyway :thumbsup:

Another provocative pair, Jack! :cool: I like the photo of the Mauser in the pines! :thumbsup:

CiN6uR5.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Thanks my friend, nice Clasp/Rigger's Knife :thumbsup:

Ive been industrious.Built this RR large lock back.In typical meako fashion I ran blindly into a couple of problems.
The wood scales that came with it were cheap and nasty looking laminate wood.I didnt fancy them so got some off cuts from the firewood bin at a local joinery.Some sort if aussie hard wood. Had to then get that cut down and planed to an apprpriate thickness.
I discovered Corrimal mens shed with its supply of knowledgeable blokes and fully tooled up workshop.
Then during a dummy run I tapped to hard on the pin and the bolster fell off. I think they are spot welded not sure. I took it to my mate Pete for silver soldering and in that process learned something.
I lost the pins for the scales so had to order pinstock.
I tapped too hsrd again and lost the bolster off the other end. I was able to silver solder that back in place myself. Charring the already glued scale and giving it some "character ":cool:. Pinning and peining worked like a charm. Filed down and sanded .Polished and sharpened.Still gotta get some scratches out of the brass.But all up not bad for a first attempt. The new wood really lifts it.
Its aliiive.:)
20170529_082151.jpg

Last edited:
Carrying a Scout & Pemberton for two weeks as I help family move. The pen blade has opened a bunch of boxes:

1z3m343.jpg

The blue fob on your orange Farmer makes me think that carrying the blue and orange Farmers together would be like spring weather: bright and cool! :thumbsup: But it might put somebody's eye out! Oh deer! ;)

Superlative pair, Tom! :thumbsup: Hope you enjoyed the BBQ, but didn't get sauce on that white handle!! :eek:;)

More wild weekend off the prescribed schedule for me. :rolleyes:
Another matched pair of Marbles with stag bone covers and "damascus etch" blades: a stockman (thanks, Randy) and a canoe.
a1iiCVY.jpg

JVzwgZj.jpg

Also a weird but wonderful little whittler and a marlin spike, both from Rough Rider:
oM1LC74.jpg

CiN6uR5.jpg

- GT

Nice word play "deer" sir, lol and thank you :). The custom survived the bbq unscathed. Lately I am really drawn to knives with white handles for some reason, your RR is certainly a looker :thumbsup:

So many gorgeous knives...I wish I had the time and motivation to multi-quote like Jack ;)

Let me know if you're getting tired of seeing this one yet...I forced a little patina, really makes the lamination on the main "pop" :)

~Chip

Back