what type of axe did the frisians use (sorry for the repost)

hi guys i am asking this question again because i want more info and need to ask again , i am very sorry that i am reposting but i really need this info , if this is against the the rules i will delete this post as soon as i am told it is again the rules . Thanks

When you say Frisian, do you have a time frame of reference?

I am asking as I don't know much about the culture but am willing to learn. My first name is Dutch but my family is from Northern/Southern Sweden with needless (as far as I can tell) prejudice towards the central portion of the country.

The Netherlands are known for sandier soil and not so much forested lands and extensive forests. It is known for a launching point of several peoples in their conquest of the British Isles and Western Europe into the interior throughout history.

Every culture has/had/uses/used wood of some sort but it might be possible that as a proud ethnic group with distinct dialects and culture, it's plausible that their "axe history" would be determined by the changing influence of wars, occupation, land holding in a caste-style system, as well as defense? Every town and district had a blacksmith. In this case it might be a melting pot of influences - cutting of native woods and working of imported woods (floated in) to get building and construction completed. Homes, ships, and mills.

Axes as ethnography interests me quite a bit and I think you are right in asking the question. Honestly, I would want an answer if I were you.

The fact that you trace your lineage back to the area and time-frame is interesting in and of itself.

If there is a "Frisian axe", I want you to find it :)

When you say Frisian, do you have a time frame of reference?

I am asking as I don't know much about the culture but am willing to learn. My first name is Dutch but my family is from Northern/Southern Sweden with needless (as far as I can tell) prejudice towards the central portion of the country.

The Netherlands are known for sandier soil and not so much forested lands and extensive forests. It is known for a launching point of several peoples in their conquest of the British Isles and Western Europe into the interior throughout history.

Every culture has/had/uses/used wood of some sort but it might be possible that as a proud ethnic group with distinct dialects and culture, it's plausible that their "axe history" would be determined by the changing influence of wars, occupation, land holding in a caste-style system, as well as defense? Every town and district had a blacksmith. In this case it might be a melting pot of influences - cutting of native woods and working of imported woods (floated in) to get building and construction completed. Homes, ships, and mills.

Axes as ethnography interests me quite a bit and I think you are right in asking the question. Honestly, I would want an answer if I were you.

The fact that you trace your lineage back to the area and time-frame is interesting in and of itself.

If there is a "Frisian axe", I want you to find it :)
thank you

Doing a bit of research into dutch shipbuilding during the golden age might be the closest you get to finding a distinct regional pattern of any sort.

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/scheepstimmerman/OgEVdhNK0j138Q

efe08035dfeb3ddec05d5d9f0eb1e905.jpg

Just trying to get closer :).
Uhm, thats dutch, not frysian, because there is a difference.

A rough Translattion of the above text:

The Shipcarpenter (shipswright?),
My sand and shore, With my lifeship

My labor doesn't head me bodily harm,
In the wooden compartment and merciless sea,
The abbyss whose gaping at my life,
But they say of ethernal life,
And how to live to that goal,
It's as if the labor of people is sleeping,

That is deep. Thanks for the translation Kevin.

Since I'm Dutch/Canadian, living in Holland/the Netherlands and into axes I can probably answer it for you. Normally I only read and don't post, but since most of you probably won't speak Dutch or German, you'll probably won't get very far.

Frisians or "Friesen" as we like to call them are originally not from Holland/the Netherlands but are actually Scandinavian of origin. They settled there from Norway/Sweden/Denmark in the period of 800 to 1000. So your best bet would be a "viking" axe. I have 2 of them in my collection which I use, but you can buy a car with the money they're worth. And finding them is difficult to say the least.

The other type of axe which isn't typical Frisian per se, but was used there extensively is an type of axe that was used to chop Wood and Ice. I wouldn't say it's the prettiest axe I've ever seen, since I find them horrible, but you wanted the answer: The axe you're looking for has no poll, usually a round or D-shaped eye, and the weirdest thing about the head is that it has the axehead above the eye for the most part. The handle would be straight on one of those....

I don't have a picture right now, but it's an upside down version of my own carpenters axe, but without the poll, the nail puller and a slightly different eye without the cheeks and usually a bit bigger then the one in the picture below:

file.php

Since the Dutch are mostly a people that throw old stuff away, you don't see them very often for sale, but they are usually very cheap, since most are poorly made. They used them in the period of 1700-1900. After that, 1900 and beyond, they would mostly use German style axes. It's kind of like a hudson bay axe, but with a slightly longer eye. Here's one. The cheapest ones I can find brand new cost about €4,-- and weigh about 600 grams , which is about 1,5 pounds. Thats almost the same one as this one below.
76530.jpg
from what i know the frisians have been in friesland since around 500 bc , any way i thakn you for the help, it would be nice if you could link the place you read the frisians came to friesland in 800ad to 1000 ad that would be great

Uhm, think of it as this: Frisians don'ts peak a form of dutch, but rather something closer to high-german. Most Dutch cant understand a word Frisian. Next to friesland on the right side is Germany, which is also called West-Friesland.

It would be inhabited since around 500BC, but not specific by Frisians. That would be much later. "Friesland" thanks it's name to Friso, some legendary ruler from folklore. There aren't any records from that time, so it's anyone's guess how old Friesland really is? What i do know is that around 810 friesland and it's Islands where captured by Danish vikings and that they founded villages and such. I have a refference, but since you can't read dutch I think it wouldn't be of much use:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikingen

Something you can read however:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Frisian
This is more about the language then anything else, but you can see the resemblance in it.
thank you for the info , i do know that around 800 ad a flood killed pretty much all the original frisians and the danes angles and saxons moved in and learned the language and culture ,frisian is also very closely related to English and danish so much so i can understand about 1/4 of the words

Right, found one, or 3 actually. As I said, they ain't the prettiest around, but these are axes found in "Friesland". These are the more modern ones from 1800-1900. The nail on the underside isn't typpical though, since you can find them with or without them.

c64696d6a48246fbb9668ca55aba0500.jpg
The saw is interesting as it cuts on the pull.

I think sometimes motivation can come from watching someone stumble around looking for information that seem pretty commonplace to others.

Kevin, here is a French site that I peruse every so often:

http://www.forum-outils-anciens.com/t7169-une-collection.htm

Is there anything that rings a bell (or "beil" in this case;)) in that thread as being related to the types of axes you are sharing about? No as an answer is fine too.

Ive seen the pattern before but no reference point before now. Good info in this thread.

Back