what type of axe did the frisians use (sorry for the repost)

You are most likely right!

The topic starter asked me a question about why the frisian axes have that shape, but since a lot of people don't know I will post the answer here:

First off, let me say that these are only my thoughts and they aren't set in stone:
First of, The Netherlands has a soil made op of clay and sand and wasn't always the shape it is know, since we gained a lot of ground by building dikes and other waterworks, like dams and such. About 25 percent was under water back in the day. We do have forrest, but they usually begin near Utrecht and aren't that old. We do have a lot of bush. Knowing that, we don't have a use for big axes and don't have very fertile ground. That being said: We are currently on the top of our game because of that and can grow allmost anything as long as climate allows it. Frisian axes all had that shape because we needed axes that could be used agriculturally as well as for firewood. It's bent because it was needed for pruining. Other then that I also suspect that the skills in Forging wheren't that high here anyway, since we don't have ore rich grounds. So it also has to be an easily forged axe. My bet is that it's an evolution from a broken grub hoe Forgeweld a band around it and there you go: You have an axe. The rivited one is a nice example.
thank for thanks for the answer kevin. i think the frisian axes look good and will look to find one but i think i might have to buy one from somone in the friesland because i live in western canada if you know any place that sells them that whould be great, anyway i want to thank you again for you help with the axe and my frisian family roots and culture. also i want to tell you a little fact i know from my grampa, axe in frisian is bile and wood is bosk

In Canada? No chance whatsoever! Overhere they run about 5 to about 50 euro. The reall expense is the shipping, and finding someone to go to all the trouble of shipping it. We do have local trading sites, where You can find them, but thats Dutch and flemmish only. Local trading and without insuranse although it is fully owned by Ebay. Catawiki is an auction site, but the proces are true the roof. Thats an international one. Or Ebay itself. Not a fan (hate paypal).

selling them: No chance, since they havened been made in about 100years or so.

as for the Frisian: I know, but searching for it in Frisian is not a goog idea: The language isnt spoken by a lot of People anymore. Your best bet is "bijl" or Bijltje (hatchet)
I am not against buying from eBay but am wonder what I should put I in the search bar as I'm sure if I just put in Bijl it will come up with normal axes made in China

thats true, but the problem is that even most People from here dont know what type of axe they have. It's just "axe" or in our case "bijl"

bijl = axe
bijltje = small axe / hatchet
bijlkop = axehead
Friese = Frisian of You put it in front of the words above, but You probably wont find anything that way.

catawiki is in English though,so that Will work normally.
i can not find anything on ebay or catawiki i might just have to wait intil i go to friesland in 2019 ,if you can help me find one that would be great ,also do you know why they stopped making that type of axe, and if they were from scandinava why did they not use axes like granfors makes

Last edited:
Waiting untill in Friesland would probably be best, but chances are, you won't find anything either. Ask around with local farmers in Friesland, and maybe you'll be in luck? It'll probably be in horrible condition, but at least you'll find one.

The axes that where used then are different because of the lands and woods are different. Scandinavia tends to be quite forresty compared to almost flat with gras in Friesland. There's a reason they call us the low-countries you know ;) . They stopped making them because of one simple fact: Mass production kicked in. Go into a local hardware store and you will find rheinlander models almost exclusively. Germany sort of flooded the marked and made them the cheapest. That and it is a better axe in general, since all the mass is right in front of the eye, and with a frisian one its in front and above.
thanks kevin for all the help, one over option is to go to my local black smith and get one made for me

Yeah, or sending me a mail so I have your adres. I can keep an eye out on this side of the pond....
I'm always impressed with how last names seem to carry on with new generations. "Houtzager" is Germanic for "Wood Sawyer" which is the first time I've ever come across that last name, and is a way better moniker than "Springintveld" (colloquial: jump in the lake) or Vogelzang (bird song) or Haaseneier (rabbit eggs).

How close is this to the pattern you are interested in?

Stuff
oh that looks pretty much the same, looks to be in good condition but the steel might be bad but it is over 100 years old so Dropforging was not common yet so it probably is good and hand made , so i might buy it ,one thing that confuses me is that a axe from friesland and the surrounding areas made it's way to France

It's the same pattern allright! And as I said before, you do see them in other parts of the netherlands, belgium and france as wel. From france tend be a lot newer and stamped, where the frisian one's aren't. Ones from franche can be 300 years old, as wel as 10 years old. You are wrong about 1 thing though: That isn't drop forged but hand forged from 2 pieces. And if you look closely you can still see the temper has a lot, almost all, life in it left.

As for the dutch: We are seafairers by nature: Founded New York and things like Indonesia and South Africa where part of our colonies. So spread among the coast? That was just normal ;)
kevin i want you opinion on if i should buy this axe head

Thats up to you, but of you want my opinion: It's the same model, but with french lettering. If it's only the model your interested in: Just buy it. If you really want a frisian one, you need to search some more until you find one without marks on it.
kevin i found 2 more with no markings on the ebay and want you to see if it is good b/c and which one it better because i want one with no markings http://www.ebay.fr/itm/n-122-old-to...644728?hash=item486769fd78:g:eE4AAMXQuCdTiJ10

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/n-41-old-too...050932?hash=item566f5555b4:g:ExUAAOSwWKtUtRt5

Last edited:
Back