What Upstets Me About Knife Makers!

BabyJWuu

BANNED
They offer very nice fixed blade knives and then they offer cheapo sheaths. They should all offer a kydex sheath with a tek-lok with it, otherwise, I have to go looking for sheath maker and the price jumps!

In future I am not buying any more knives unless they do that, no more junk sheaths for me!!

Cordially,

BabyJWuu :mad:

:rolleyes:

They should all offer a kydex sheath with a tek-lok with it...

I'd be bummed out to buy a nice fixed blade, like this one, and have it come in a plastic sheath. :barf:

Prentice.jpg

There are many production knives out there, that don't have quality sheaths...and you can't change that. In contrast you can talk with custom makers about better sheaths in most cases. So I'd be more pissed about companies which only use cheapo sheaths.

I wonder what P*sses bladesmiths off about customers? Complaining about sheath materials has got to be right up there.

Don`t lump all knifemakers together. I offer leather or kydex for my knives.

Kydex for my brand new custom fixed blade? I don't think so. If that kydex was lined on the inside with deer skin and then the outside was covered in a nice tanned hide then kydex wouldn't be a problem at all. The last thing I want are those ugly kydex marks all over my new handrubbed satin blade. I can mar up the blade all on my own without help from the sheath.

knifemaking is a specific craft, knifemakers primarily make knives, and sheath makers make sheathes. It's not uncommon for a knife collector/customer to order a custom knife from a knifemaker, and then move on to a sheathmaker to have a custom sheath made for that knife.

I make both knives and sheaths. My sheaths are functional, but some customers want a custom made sheath, they will then take their new custom knife to a sheathmaker.

The quality and the utility of the sheath can make or break the purchase of the knife for me.

sorry but i have no time to track down a good sheath when i buy a blade.

X2 on most of the responses above.

Not everyone likes kydex, I prefer a good leather sheath, but as long as the knife comes with good sheath that works, I can live with it.

Kevin

Im not a big kydex fan, but like it on certain knives. I prefer leather for most of my knives.

I guess I am one of the knife makers who really enjoy the leather working end of this business. I found out long ago, that a sale could really depend on the quality of the sheath that housed the knife. To that end, I have tried to learn from the top sheath makers, everything I could. I was a little bashful to start with, but now I ask questions and usually get a good answer. I think knife makers would do themselves a great favor, if they payed more attention to the leather end of their craft. Trav

When you buy a handgun, does the holster it comes in figure into the purchase?

No sheath is going to make everyone happy. Your perfect sheath may be my ugly piece of crap that's gotta go. (Since you apparently prefer Kydex, this is most likely true.) As long as the supplied sheath keeps the knife from cutting its way out of the shipping package, it can be cardboard and duct tape for all I care. I'm going to customize the sheath to suit me anyway.

Knives cut.

Guns wont shoot you if you stash them in your belt or pocket, thus
the sheath is more critical to safety and handling. If one has the time
and money for a custom sheath more power to them.

Kydex for my brand new custom fixed blade? I don't think so. If that kydex was lined on the inside with deer skin and then the outside was covered in a nice tanned hide then kydex wouldn't be a problem at all. The last thing I want are those ugly kydex marks all over my new handrubbed satin blade. I can mar up the blade all on my own without help from the sheath.

Amen, Tony, amen . . . :)
Be safe.

Now that we're on the subject, I don't like it when a knife maker offers a nice knife and then offers to make a sheath for x amount extra for the knife. I know its just me but it pisses me off. Just include the sheath in the price to begin with. I know I'd feel better about it. There I said it and I feel better about it! keepem sharp

Now that we're on the subject, I don't like it when a knife maker offers a nice knife and then offers to make a sheath for x amount extra for the knife. I know its just me but it pisses me off. Just include the sheath in the price to begin with. I know I'd feel better about it. There I said it and I feel better about it! keepem sharp

:thumbup:I agree.What am I expected to stick it in my pocket,or walk around with it in my hand?:p

Some guys like kydex, some like leather. To be fair some knives just have a better feel with one over the other.
But bladesmiths are bladesmiths, not sheath makers. Doesn't matter if it's a company or a custom knife maker. Some of them do their job very well and a sheath shouldn't be the end judge. Look at Bussie kin. I personally don't like 'em too much, but without a doubt they are some of the finest blades made today. And they don't even come with sheaths! The functionality, the execution, the steel tempering... It's like a symphony. You can't say that Beethoven's 5th is not good simply because it was written on a piano written from one type of wood while there is another that certain ppl considered better.

And lets not forget that both kydex and leather have it's advantages over the other.

Back