What was your first victorinox ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I'd love to hear what your first Victorinox knife was and when you got it, meaning did you get it as a kid or buy it as an adult.
When I was 3 I found a red classic on the ground at an amusement park, but my mom took it until I was old enough and 19yrs later still has yet to give it to me so I guess that doesn't count.
Other than that I'm not 100% sure though. When I was 11 my dad gave me my grandpa's yellow classic to cherish as it was in his pocket when he died, but right around the same time I was given a blue Swisscard light. I believe my grandpa's classic came first but just can't be certain.
My love for Victorinox partly comes from my grandpa's love of the classic which he would buy wear out and replace as needed, but I mostly love them because they just plain work and have a high value and quality to cost ratio.

Well, mine was a Wenger, not a Vic. As mentioned in other posts. It was the nomad, which was only made for a short time. My great Uncle gave it to me for my eighth birthday. Just bought my first Vic the other day, a super tinker.

Wednesday I would have had that Wenger for 30 years, had I not lost it this past July.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Last edited:
Well, mine was a Wenger, not a Vic. As mentioned in other posts. It was the nomad, which was only made for a short time. My great Uncle gave it to me for my eighth birthday. Just bought my first Vic the other day, a super tinker.

Wednesday I would have had that Wenger for 30 years, had I not lost it this past July.

Sent via carrier pigeon

Sorry for your loss. My first SAK was also a Wenger, don’t remember the model name, but it had scissors and probably equivalent to the Vic Climber. It lasted only a few years (I was hard on pocket knives then) but then I replaced it with a Vic, which I don’t remember the model but had a few more implements. It got stolen out of my gym locker, and then I went full SAK with a Swisschamp. It was my only for several years, and I still have it. By then, I had got the fever, so in the couple of decades since, it was joined by a bunch more. These days I have cut back to 5 in different sizes and implement loadouts, and am at peace with myself and the world of SAKs.

My first SAK was a Wenger since we had a sporting goods store nearby that carried them. This was back in the mid 80's. My first Vic was a Swisschamp! Go big or go home, haha

My first SAK was a Wenger since we had a sporting goods store nearby that carried them. This was back in the mid 80's. My first Vic was a Swisschamp! Go big or go home, haha

Back in the day, that was my attitude :D . Glad of it, though. My Swisschamp taught me SAK.

My first Victorinox was a Huntsman but I didn't know it at the time. For the first 20 years I carried it I thought it was called an "Officer Model". You see, I found it in a County Park. When I was unable to locate it's owner, I put it in a small kit I carry with me whenever I ventured into the great outdoors. To this day if you see me walking or bicycling a trail, most likely that Huntsman is in my pocket. Throughout all those years it has proven itself very handy many, many times and as a good friend of mine is known to say...

"One thing leads to another"

Tinker was my first and a replacement after #1 being stolen around 1984/1985. Second model was the old Alox Soldier.

No idea what it was or how I got it, but I was about 12 years old or so. I don't remember that much about it. It was red, and the blade was sharp. If it weren't for the scar on my left hand it gave me that I still have today, almost 50 years later, I probably would not remember it at all. I don't know what happened to it. I was not into knives as a kid.

My first "bought by me" SAK was an Alox Electrician, in 2013, which my wife has since appropriated and carries every day. She uses the hell out of that knife (and I get to resharpen it for her regularly) so that was a good purchase. My next SAK purchase (which I still get to carry and use) is an alox Cadet. It has been with me almost every single day since I got it.

I bought a Huntsman in 1986, and there has a Victorinox (or two) of some variety in my pocket just about every day since.

This week I've been carrying a Compact and an alox Solo.

I forgot to mention that the first Victorinox I bought myself was a pocket pal which I bought at the local hardware store for 15$ last summer, I've bought a recruit and tinker since then and wouldn't mind having a mini tinker as well as a replacement for my old " seen better days " gardner.

My first SAK is 34 years old this year, a red Climber. My daughter gave it to me. It's been so long ago that when I mentioned that fact to her late last year, she'd forgotten this old, faithful SAK. It's been all over the US, and several countries overseas -- longest time spent in the former Soviet Union. Wonderful cheese & bread cutter, and wine bottle opener for that 3-day train trip between Kiev and Moscow.

This year I've carried a new black SAK Climber and silver Alox Farmer from time-to-time. It seems that old Red Climber manages to most often end up in my pocket. Great knives!

Last edited:
I mostly love them because they just plain work and have a high value and quality to cost ratio.

You said it !

The black SAK , an Executive, has the orange peeler for breakfast.
My mentor carried one forty years ago, I bought one because I liked it. I lost it (a red one) many years ago and only replaced it with this black one recently; I just couldn't go any longer without one. I don’t know why I waited so long to get another one. It reminds me of him and our adventures together.

I don't know what it was called, I saw a Swiss Army Knife at the PX and bought it. it had the old style can opener (without the screwdriver) which I preferred, the bottle opener screwdriver, cork screw and two blades. Thus began my quest of losing and then buying a new SAK about every 2-3 years, I'd lose them and buy a new one. Then 12 years ago I bought a Super Tinker, thought I'd like the screwdriver. Turns out I didn't like the phillips, but I'd lose it eventually and get one with the corkscrew. Never lost it, so after 10 years, I got an Explorer. Glad to get the cork screw back, it's great for knots and such. Hope I don't lose it, gave the Super Tinker away.

First one was an Outrider, a gift from my father.
The first one I bought myself was the mighty Handyman, who thought that would lead to soooooo many other SAKs...lost the Outrider some years ago but I still keep the one I acquired, the Handyman, and will never part with it

20161214_095805_zpsxavx9tbt.jpg

I bought a Champion at an Army store out in West Texas back in '75-'76. EDC-ed it daily, taking it on camping/hunting trips, backpacking and traveling till a wildfire took it in '06.

My first was a Huntsman, I found while walking my dog out through the mesa about 20 years ago. My dog found it actually. I has a slightly bent saw blade and a cracked scale. It's an old model with grooved corkscrew and scales without toothpick & tweezers. I still have it, the saw is slightly less bent and it now has nylon scales with toothpick and tweezers. I rides in the console of my truck.

First recent ... say in the last ... 20 years?
A Vic Huntsman and Signature Christmas set with Translucent red covers. I think Target sold them. Added a Recruit a couple years ago.
Growing up ... I honestly don't remember. I've managed to block a lot of memories from when I was a kid. (plus it was 50 years ago or more)
I know I had at least one or two "Swiss Army Knives" but Vic or Wenger, the model, or who gave them to me, or what happened to them, I cannot not say.

Got my first knife (some kind of Vic knock-off) back in the '80s at age 7. Got my first 'real' Vic at around 14, which was a Spartan. Then I got yet another Spartan (these were promotional items from various brands that my father somehow kept on receiving and passing them on to me), then a Swiss Champ, then a Woodsman (the now discontinued explorer+saw model).

I still have and cherish both the Swiss Champ & Woodsman, both still going strong after 20+ years of use.
One of the Spartans got lost on a trekking trip (it was not my main blade, borrowed it, the person misplaced it, you already know where this is going).
The second got me through my military service, it only made sense to have it bestowed upon the next generation of grunts :D.

Back