What would you like to see from Cold Steel in 2018?

A seax, non-machete versions of blades like the barong and smatchet, the return of several older designs like the Desperado, Caledonian Edge, and Twist Master, NOT charging AUS-8 prices for 4116 knives like the Working Man and Pro Lite

The thermal treatment that cold-steel performs on all blades is exceptional The AUS-8A has a remarkable cutting capacity (penetration) is very easy to sharpen the quality ratio is 10

Yes and this isn't just aimed at your post and I totally agree Cold Steel’s AUS8 is really great.
but
There is a difference I am willing to pay for though.
Of these work knives the upper four are CTS-XHP. The three in the lower part of the photo are AUS8

I often reshape my knives to adapt them to my uses. When I do this, using power grinders but especially when I use the super coarse diamond file and the Shapton Pro 120 stone shown here. There is a huge and very noticeable difference in how much work it takes to effect a change in the dimensions of the two steel alloys. Not to mention edge retention and resistance to dinging the edge . . . see the Razelized Ti Lite Six . . . think using it to do light carving and deburing of mild steel parts.

Don’t say it is ALL hype; I know different.

One of my friends is a Vietnam veteran and he showed me a knife that he took from a dead Vietnamese soldier during the war, The blade shape looked just like a CS Magnum Kukri machete but the knife was the size of a Bowie with a 8 1/2 or 9 inch blade length.

Cold Steel should make one like that with a 9 or 10 inch blade and finger guard.

:) Easier to sharpen serrations or a better tool to sharpen the CS SE than that little Lansky dog bone thing .:rolleyes:

:eek: And a HUGE senior discount ! ;)

Yes and this isn't just aimed at your post and I totally agree Cold Steel’s AUS8 is really great.
but
There is a difference I am willing to pay for though.
Of these work knives the upper four are CTS-XHP. The three in the lower part of the photo are AUS8

I often reshape my knives to adapt them to my uses. When I do this, using power grinders but especially when I use the super coarse diamond file and the Shapton Pro 120 stone shown here. There is a huge and very noticeable difference in how much work it takes to effect a change in the dimensions of the two steel alloys. Not to mention edge retention and resistance to dinging the edge . . . see the Razelized Ti Lite Six . . . think using it to do light carving and deburing of mild steel parts.

Don’t say it is ALL hype; I know different.

:thumbsup:I agree, see your photos I have come to buy a hold out lll in CTS-XHP:thumbsup:

1. 5" Black Talon
3. 7.5" Hold Out
4. 12" Drop Forged Survivalist (I know that's skipping 10" but after you go past 8" there isn't much point in holding back).

That.
Please, not only a return of this (inexplicably) discontinued marvel, but a larger version as well.
It'd be my dream folding knife

20161221_090706_zps11se2br9.jpg

I want to see proper balance and distal taper to their swords. Yeah, I know this is a suggestion best directed at Windlass Steelcrafts, who makes their swords, but with their selling power, CS could easily demand proper sword geometry. Fencing (mounted or on foot) with a CS sword is like coming to the plate with the doughnut still on the bat. The edge CS puts on their swords, done in their shop, also demonstrates a profound ignorance of sword geometry. CS swords just don't work they way their battle tested historical ancestors do and Lynn Thompson knows it.

Zieg

I think the American Lawman with a stone washed or satin blade would sell to a lot of people.
I also believe the Recon 1 with an uncoated blade would be very popular. Could be sold at the same price as the dlc bladed models.
I also would say return the Holdout series, but personally, I have a sufficient supply of this model to last for years. I don t understand why this model didn't t sell well.

Last edited:
Some uncoated Recon 1 and American Lawman models, a DLC coated 3V Recon 1 folder, other folders in 3V, an upgraded Tuff Lite (better steel, maybe G10), and fixed blade sheaths that don't dull the blades.

More lightweight G-10 framed knives like the Broken Skull and the Khan.

I also would say return the Holdout series, but personally, I have a sufficient supply of this model to last for years. I don t understand why this model didn't t sell well.

It didn't sell well because
as an acquaintance used to say
"People are stupid"

They are TOTALLY GREAT KNIVES !

Some uncoated Recon 1 and American Lawman models, a DLC coated 3V Recon 1 folder, other folders in 3V, an upgraded Tuff Lite (better steel, maybe G10), and fixed blade sheaths that don't dull the blades.

and fixed blade sheaths that don't dull the blades.

I wonder how many of us it would take to kidnap Lynn Thompson . . .
just long enough to make him write one hundred times:

"Secure-ex blade sheaths . . . dull the blades and that sucks."

Then turn him loose.

and fixed blade sheaths that don't dull the blades.

I wonder how many of us it would take to kidnap Lynn Thompson . . .
just long enough to make him write one hundred times:

"Secure-ex blade sheaths . . . dull the blades and that sucks."

Then turn him loose.
:eek: From watching all those "proof videos " and what I've heard about the Cold Steel compound , I think I'll have to regretfully decline involvement in your plan to "reeducate " LT ! :rolleyes:

Bring back the Desperado and maybe a mini version in 3V
A smaller Tai Pan with 5 inch blade
Why not an AD-10 clone? It won't cut into Demko's custom backlog
Or how about a 4-Medium with a 3.5 inch blade
SR1 with slimmer grip in height (more like an AD-10 than an AD-10 +P) and CPM20CV steel

I would like to see the old style 4" Gunsite Voyager make a comeback. I have the 5" version and like it. I carry it when I want to be obnoxious. I always liked the 4" better though.

Back