What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Polished my big butt!
Boxwood @ 2500, ready for epoxy and a scandi-sheeth
(the blade with spacers and the drawing are in the back ground)

IMG_20170506_124855_zpskghinwk2.jpg

IMG_20170506_124900_zpsnsr6mukv.jpg

IMG_20170506_124908_zpsfx5tzgle.jpg

IMG_20170506_124846_zpsb6tnnwkt.jpg
Are you going to wax that big butt?

Waxing will help protect it for sure. And no one likes a hairy butt.

I just finished another flat platen, this one with a leather platen. It's for VS wet convex sharpening. It makes nice convex edges without rounding it like a ordinary slack platen.

Tried it out on a couple of blades, it works great! I create the initial edge with a 120 grit AO belt and then move to Trizact (the thin one which works wet). I strop on a thin belt (without abrasives) loaded with green compound. It gives me a really quick and nice working edge.

I use it for quick belt sharpening on my utility knives. For a more distinguished edge I use my WEPS with diamond stones and 3M lapping films.

Edit: I forgot to mention the workrest, it's for referencing the sharpening angle. I set it with an angle cube and then reference it for freehand.

adNYTOU.jpg

uaA8JiE.jpg

Last edited:
A coworker raises elk. Apparently sheds are worth more than cutoffs and the price of cutoffs hasn't been enough for him to mess with so he's just been piling them outside the last couple years. He let me pick through and take a bunch. Here's my first from that:

80CRV2, stone wash etch, Ti guard and moldy antler. I couldn't find a way to get the green color out of the antler but I did find you could dye it :) This is going to be raffled off at my gun club's annual steak feed.

g2tqR3K.jpg

Riccardo, these are amazing. I would use the heck out of that top one. Great job!

Blessings,
Joshua

Thanks a lot Joshua.

The smallest has a very difficult blade to make: you have 6 different grinding plates (to be joined) in only 3". I realize this knife with a maximum thickness of 0.165"

3hp ironhorse motor should be received tomorrow, ordered a KBAC-29 with the extra on/off and forward/stop/reverse switch today. should be in in about a week or so as the on/off switch had to be ordered from the distributor. Time to hunt down some steel for the mounting plate.

Guys , is it good or bad if blade after tempering still scratch glass ? I have no Hrc tester ...........

wrflnr.jpg

I was cutting up some Elk today. Dyed it with potassium permanganate, and sealed it. This taper is going to make an awesome knife one day.

IMG_20170509_210921_725.jpg

Back