What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

This little guy is nearly done. 3" paring knife, 3/32 aeb-L, mirrored blade, Nigerian ebony handle, bronze pins. Just need to etch my mark and take the good pictures, then off to its new home.

Just noticed the tip looks weird, must be the lighting in my shop....

Attachments

• IMG_20170524_162904.jpg
    IMG_20170524_162904.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 58
Is there a sticky on picture posting somewhere? This forum is layed out differently and has different limitations than any others I've been on, haven't quite figured it out yet

Been cleaning and rearranging my shop. No more 2x42! My Pheer arrives on Tuesday, my (new to me) Tippmann Boss has been stripped, cleaned, lubed and dialed in. Sorting out the mess, adding lights and power strips. Should be ready to get back at it Wednesday.
0516171104_zpsemud6gul.jpg

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/angeldhunter/0523171130_zpsfnz6wk7k.jpg
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/angeldhunter/0523171129_zpshrurmbc2.jpg
Added a shelf to the workbench and finally made a table for my metal bandsaw. in the meanwhile i took a live edge slab of some curly and spalted maple and made my wife a plant and picture bench.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr116/angeldhunter/0521171349a_zpsfa0s7kct.jpg

We are almost there! The white color is beautiful but always difficult to work.

Got my Pheer put together this last weekend. No more struggling with a 1x42:)

And a couple parer blades, and a parer/utility I did a few weeks ago on the 1x42.

Got my Pheer put together this last weekend. No more struggling with a 1x42:)

And a couple parer blades, and a parer/utility I did a few weeks ago on the 1x42.

I'd still keep that 1x42 around. I still have the Kalamazoo I first started with, and use it for 90% of my handle shaping. I like the smaller belts enough that I'm going to be building a new 1x42 soon, specifically designed for slack belt work. Very loosely based on the 3 wheel burrking

I'd still keep that 1x42 around. I still have the Kalamazoo I first started with, and use it for 90% of my handle shaping. I like the smaller belts enough that I'm going to be building a new 1x42 soon, specifically designed for slack belt work. Very loosely based on the 3 wheel burrking

Oh, absolutely. Mine is the Kalamazoo as well. Still has its uses for sure. Would like to have one with variable speed though.

Oh, absolutely. Mine is the Kalamazoo as well. Still has its uses for sure. Would like to have one with variable speed though.
I've honestly never missed having variable speed on anything. I've used variable speed grinders before, and pretty well just left them at the speed I'm used to for everything. Way faster could be nice for roughing, but I'll probably just have a seperate grinder for that when I've got space

I've honestly never missed having variable speed on anything. I've used variable speed grinders before, and pretty well just left them at the speed I'm used to for everything. Way faster could be nice for roughing, but I'll probably just have a seperate grinder for that when I've got space

At 1725 rpm on a 1x42, it was pretty unforgiving, and couldn't quite get used to the speed. Too often I would find myself chasing mistakes trying to fix the original one. I'm sure over time I would have adapted to it. But my time in the shop is very limited as it is, and I had the money. So right now it's my second bestest friend in the shop ...after my dog.

At 1725 rpm on a 1x42, it was pretty unforgiving, and couldn't quite get used to the speed. Too often I would find myself chasing mistakes trying to fix the original one. I'm sure over time I would have adapted to it. But my time in the shop is very limited as it is, and I had the money. So right now it's my second bestest friend in the shop ...after my dog.

My problem was never the speed, it was the tension system. I constantly have to fiddle it. For shaping handles you really develop a touch for it after a while. I usually start with a 100 grit jflex belt, and cut everything 95% to size and shape. Followed with a 220 and 400, and the hand sanding starts at 400 grit and only takes a few minutes.

I'll do the roughing on my big grinder, usually with a contact wheel. Mostly taking the big lumps off, and getting it flush with the tang

I almost use my variable speed exclusively for handle shaping. I could be happy with a High/Low speed for blade grinding for the most part, but find VS to be really useful shaping the variety of different handle materials I use without causing burns and the like. For example, shaping something like gidgee or ironwood or natural micarta at only 950 SFM with a 36 grit belt, you can move material really fast, but with almost no risk of over heating. And as I go up in grits I go up in speed, since I don't need to remove as much material, just scratches, and never stay in one place too long.

But grinding blades, I really just crank it up to 4000 SFM or down to about 1500 SFM and really nothing in between.

I like it! I've always kept a separate set of buffing wheels specifically for white materials such as bone and ivory. Nothing looks worse than a white handle with grey crap stuck in it.
Nice work!
:D:D:D

I'm agree with you, I can't see a white handle with gray crap on it!

I m almost done with my two wheel grinder .2hp , 2820 rpm ,50Hz 3-phase motor . Will run 5500 SFM and with WFD around 6500 SFM= 41m/s ?? on 70 Hz if my math is OK :)

2niprwi.jpg

My problem was never the speed, it was the tension system. I constantly have to fiddle it. For shaping handles you really develop a touch for it after a while. I usually start with a 100 grit jflex belt, and cut everything 95% to size and shape. Followed with a 220 and 400, and the hand sanding starts at 400 grit and only takes a few minutes.

I'll do the roughing on my big grinder, usually with a contact wheel. Mostly taking the big lumps off, and getting it flush with the tang

Last edited:
Working on Bladeshow knives. It's been a busy time. Here is some of what I will choose from to take.

2lPwSlBl.jpg

IvkzdIwl.jpg

A snapshot of my WIP box.
  • O1 63 HRC 165 mm Nakiri with wa handle
  • 14C28N 62 HRC hunter
  • 14C28N 62 HRC 210 mm Gyuto
  • 14C28N 62 HRC 240 mm Gyuto
Now94TR.jpg

I also found the time to make and install a second opening handle for my Paragon kiln. It's been bugging me for a while since I'm a leftie with my quench tank at the right.

Now I can do super-rapid-quick-quenches!

pGWljAE.jpg

2p1w9sK.jpg

Back