What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Hi guys... Long time no post, lets solve that!

Steel is Takefu vtoku2 sanmai, handle ebony-copper-buckeye burl-ironwood with copper in copper pin.

Action photo and nice photo :)

Pablo
A0xS6yu.jpg

BMmF9bl.jpg

Found this cleaning my shop today. 9" chopper/parang thing I rough ground and heat treated a couple years ago but never finished. I was never entirely happy with it. I think I'll taper the tang and see if I can make something decent out of it.

4.5" drop point I've got in progress as well. Blade is 3/16 A2, hollow grind stops 160 thou from the spine and was taken to an 8 thou edge. Bronze dot inlay on the spine, and dovetailed bolsters. The handle is a rather disappointingly bland piece of lacewood. I usually use a thicker bolster on the back to keep the handle even in thickness, but I decided to have it follow the taper this time. Not sure I like it..... Thoughts?

Still needs the final polish on everything, and some proper pictures taken

Built an attachment rack today. Made some use of some dead space not useful for much else. I'll be adding to this before long as I have a couple more tool rests I want to build and get a couple more contact wheels of different sizes.

IMG_4150.JPG

Last edited:
Spent the morning reorganizing my bench, and swapping vises around. I finally made room for my Kennedy box. Should be a lot nicer to work with now.

Time for lunch, and then a pile of aeb-L to finish grind.

Spent the morning reorganizing my bench, and swapping vises around. I finally made room for my Kennedy box. Should be a lot nicer to work with now.

Time for lunch, and then a pile of aeb-L to finish grind.

I really like that chefs knife on the right! Also that fillet knife is nice!

Daniel.

Picked up a sweet deal today and got a jump start on a real dust collection system finally. Picked up a harbor freight 1hp dust collector and hose kit for $80 off a friend still in the boxes. Not sure about theses flex hoses as long runs. Seems the bellows could cause some problems with hot sparks. Thinking I'll run solid 4" pvc and just use the flexs in short runs as needed.

Just going to vent it directly outside the shop for the time being till I figure out the route I want to go. Can't come at a better time with the new grinder. Cleaned up a butt load of metal dust this weekend from the work I did. No bueno.

Currently have 6 ports to think about. 2 grinders, 2 bandsaws, 1 tablesaw and a buffer. Really hoping no more projects pop up like this as I really need to be making some knives. Been delayed by a forge build, and make shift 20ton press build a grinder build and a shop rearrangement.

Well it is time to put the steel roof on as I now have some bad leaks so maybe a couple more weeks and I'll get something out. Got 6' of steel left and I want to be ordering more by at least the end of June.

On second thought I better make that 7 ports now that I have a VFD in the shop. I can make use of the 2hp 3ph motor I have for a disk grinder. Dang it, I need a bigger shop.

Finished up knives 3, 4 and 5. All mustard patina'd 01, bottom two are sapele (softer than I thought it would be) with CF pins. Top one is bamboo (cutting board :p) with brass hardware.

(On a separate note, man I hate what photobucket has become, what a cumbersome useless operation)

Hi guys... Long time no post, lets solve that!

Steel is Takefu vtoku2 sanmai, handle ebony-copper-buckeye burl-ironwood with copper in copper pin.

Action photo and nice photo :)

Pablo
A0xS6yu.jpg

BMmF9bl.jpg
That is a beautiful knife.

(On a separate note, man I hate what photobucket has become, what a cumbersome useless operation)

Imgur is what you seek. I went from being a premium (paying) Photobucket user to Imgur a while back. No bloat. Faster uploads. Faster image loading. Vastly superior. They don't reuse URLs like Tinypic (now owned by Photobucket) either. So your knife post from last year doesn't turn into a picture of a leggy babe on the hood of a corvette (though that was the best swap that ever happened to me).

That is a beautiful knife.
Thanks!!
Imgur is what you seek. I went from being a premium (paying) Photobucket user to Imgur a while back. No bloat. Faster uploads. Faster image loading. Vastly superior. They don't reuse URLs like Tinypic (now owned by Photobucket) either. So your knife post from last year doesn't turn into a picture of a leggy babe on the hood of a corvette (though that was the best swap that ever happened to me).

I used IMGUR actively, but it started to have problems with large albums (1000+ photos) so I switched to my own hosting at peu.net. Now I only use it when I need to post photos to forums, not as my personal work gallery

Pablo

Picked up a sweet deal today and got a jump start on a real dust collection system finally. Picked up a harbor freight 1hp dust collector and hose kit for $80 off a friend still in the boxes. Not sure about theses flex hoses as long runs. Seems the bellows could cause some problems with hot sparks. Thinking I'll run solid 4" pvc and just use the flexs in short runs as needed.
Just going to vent it directly outside the shop for the time being till I figure out the route I want to go. Dang it, I need a bigger shop.

Those 1HP HF blowers will work, but aren't nearly as powerful as they bill them. The way to get the most from them is to set the blower at the same level as the bench so the suction duct goes straight into the intake, and vent the exhaust directly outside. If the air flow isn't lifting or going up and down, it moves faster. Also, eliminate as many 90 degree bends as possible. Use 45's when possible. When a 90 is needed, use the long sweep type, not the right angle type. Use 3" or 4" PVC for the ductwork along the bench, and 4" or 6" PVC for the exhaust to the outside. A cap covered with 1/4" stainless mesh on the outside will keep wasps, birds, and rodents from going up into the ducts. A long sweep elbow facing the ground keeps the rain out.

Finally getting dust collection for the buffer sorted out, only took about 5 attempts over a couple years.... Added a plywood shroud to the steel dust chute I welded up a couple months ago. I think I'm finally happy with it. I've never finished a buffing session with this little compound on me or the floor.

The result of a couple hours work.

Once all the compound is cleaned off, I'll be ready to start handles.

I've been trying to keep up the fun work around a garbage work schedule, here's my latest work. Finally starting to get the hang of sheath/holster making. Just need to iron out the last few issues with knives and then I'm hoping to start selling them at local gun shows and whatnot. O1 steel, top knife is Cherry handles with brass pins, left is a G10/Colored epoxy mix with copper through pins, and the right side is walnut with steel pins. And the holster is for a SW MP40 with lightsDFrbft.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the shop a lot cooler with a blower from the inlaws they replaced after hurricane Matthew. So far 25* cooler in the shop with this vs 3 box fans.
IMG_0018.JPG

Trying out a couple new designs. 5/32 154cm. Ready to taper the tangs after grind. Making a Loveless chute knife in this batch as well. Never actually made a Loveless design before, and figured it could be a fun project

Back