What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Holy shit that's awesome, Bob. I'll see if I can't swing up there to see!!!

Reactions: nsm
How's this for jimping?
Rounded and hand sanded to 2500

Naamloos.jpg

Finally finished this guy up. 6.2 oz. .130" 3V @ 61 RC. Natural maple, leather dye and tru-oil. Standoffs are soldered into the frame, and scales locate to them. Lots of trial and error on this guy, it was my first use of unstabilized wood on a knife.

WxTQw8F.jpg

U49rxjB.jpg

vqo0cMR.jpg

VEsMVta.jpg

John, that is absolutely beautiful. Is that some of Doyle's wood? If so, please share what you did.

John, that is absolutely beautiful. Is that some of Doyle's wood? If so, please share what you did.

Hehe, no, although I have some of his maple. This is from a grocery bag of wood my boss gave me from his late father in laws wood shop.

I sanded to 600, did a brief round of aqua fortis which darkened the stripes, knocked whiskers off with 600 again, but not enough to remove all the color. Then dyed with saddle tan fieblings pro dye, sanded lightly, dyed again, then burnished it with the back side of sand paper before finishing with 4 coats of tru oil.

Hehe, no, although I have some of his maple. This is from a grocery bag of wood my boss gave me from his late father in laws wood shop.

I sanded to 600, did a brief round of aqua fortis which darkened the stripes, knocked whiskers off with 600 again, but not enough to remove all the color. Then dyed with saddle tan fieblings pro dye, sanded lightly, dyed again, then burnished it with the back side of sand paper before finishing with 4 coats of tru oil.

Thanks for sharing. I have some of John Doyle's unstabilized maple I've been saving and I think I may try this method. Again absolutely beautiful....

Thanks for sharing. I have some of John Doyle's unstabilized maple I've been saving and I think I may try this method. Again absolutely beautiful....

Thanks! I had planned to sand to like 1500 or something, but I just couldn't see the point. Burnishing after 600 left it very smooth, and the tru-oil filled nicely. It may not be presentation grade appearance under really close inspection but I think it's a really nice level for a working knife.

Finally finished this guy up. 6.2 oz. .130" 3V @ 61 RC. Natural maple, leather dye and tru-oil. Standoffs are soldered into the frame, and scales locate to them. Lots of trial and error on this guy, it was my first use of unstabilized wood on a knife.

U49rxjB.jpg

This knife looks great man. :thumbsup:
The handle treatment looks fantastic, and I'm digging the black fasteners.
Erin

Nice! Love the contouring on that handle! That is something I really struggle with.

Daniel.
Thanks, I find that the shape of the tang really helps you get the hang of it. A tang shaped like that one almost makes you "coke bottle" it. A small wheel really helps but I started with just a slack belt.
When you tang has a belly and butt like this one, I start carving out material on the bottom between the butt and belly then I move up and carve out some on the front of the belly. I don't touch anything else until I have some nice indents going, then I start rounding everything else out with a slack 20170810_123011.jpg 20170605_202509.jpg belt.

Thanks, I find that the shape of the tang really helps you get the hang of it. A tang shaped like that one almost makes you "coke bottle" it. A small wheel really helps but I started with just a slack belt.
When you tang has a belly and butt like this one, I start carving out material on the bottom between the butt and belly then I move up and carve out some on the front of the belly. I don't touch anything else until I have some nice indents going, then I start rounding everything else out with a slack View attachment 749135 View attachment 749136 belt.

That is lovely! Thanks for the tips!
Very helpful! I will give it a shot.

Daniel.

Back