What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Just finished this one. Alabama Damascus, ivory micarta, SS bolsters and liners, brass shield and pins.
uc

finally worked on knives after about 3 months, met with Mike Shindel of @bladeandhammer at his shop.
He learned how to work on laminated Japanese steel using a kitchen knife design I made.
Mike did much of the forging, and I guided him in the HT. I did alot of the grinding
Mike will finalize the handles for our "collaboration"

4a4GyVK.jpg

dHOUSYW.jpg

euFQHma.jpg

h0KjT5X.jpg

vxohbHG.jpg

finally worked on knives after about 3 months, met with Mike Shindel of @bladeandhammer at his shop.
He learned how to work on laminated Japanese steel using a kitchen knife design I made.
Mike did much of the forging, and I guided him in the HT. I did alot of the grinding
Mike will finalize the handles for our "collaboration"
Oh yeah! Love it.

I've finally gotten around to tilting my kmg and putting a second arm slot below my main slot. It's something I've wanted to do forever and just kept putting off. I tried to do it a different way and was never happy with it. Sometimes the simplest way is the best. And I don't know if there's any other mods I can do to it. You can hardly tell there's a kmg under there.
I also decided to try my disc sander horizontally.
IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG IMG_2160.JPG

The OSB is temporary, it was there already so instead of cutting a hole in new wood, I figured I'd test it on this cheap stuff first.

I've finally gotten around to tilting my kmg and putting a second arm slot below my main slot. It's something I've wanted to do forever and just kept putting off. I tried to do it a different way and was never happy with it. Sometimes the simplest way is the best. And I don't know if there's any other mods I can do to it. You can hardly tell there's a kmg under there.
I also decided to try my disc sander horizontally.
View attachment 751015 View attachment 751016 View attachment 751017

The OSB is temporary, it was there already so instead of cutting a hole in new wood, I figured I'd test it on this cheap stuff first.
Josh, The mods you made look to be well thought out and accomplished. Your grinder will be much more versatile now. You need a easy to use work rest. Try one similar to this. Larry
Wow! HSC & Comet_sharp those kitchen knives are looking amazing!
Josh, Those are really nice crisp grinds. Are you grinding your swedges with a small wheel? Larry
IMG_20170816_164104_906 by Joshua Gallardo, on Flickr

Larry, I really found the need to flip it when I tried keeping both sides of a folder symmetrical. Hopefully this helps. I definitely want a good work rest.
I think your picture uploaded wrong, but if my knives came out like Josh RG's, I'll take it!:D

Yeah I need to do something like that on my horizontal. Getting the top and bottom of handles square before contouring is a struggle without it.

Got these lovely peices of wood today! The left one is spalted Jatoba the right one is African Blackwood. Hoping to make mom a wa handled kitchen knife for Christmas with these woods. Sorry for the pics.

IMG_0690.JPG

Off to be HT'ed
Two gentlemen knives like in my avatar, a testpiece, a puukko and a parring knife for our kitchen here and to test some idea's I have

IMG_20170821_130740.jpg

A handle idea for one of the blades above here. It will have three black pinns in the middle of the handle

IMG_20170821_135051.jpg

Back