What's your favorite leather glue?

I've been using Fiebings Leathercraft Cement and it seemed to work great at first but now it won't hold at all on some cut pieces that have all come from the same side of leather.

Barge Cement is way and above the best thing out there. I was none too thrilled when they "improved" it by making it more environmentally friendly. However the new stuff in the blue tube works quite well and may work as well as the old stuff. I still try to find the yellow tube. It will never let go. It is what shoemakers use.

It is a contact cement that is applied to each side and allowed to dry for about 15 or 20 minutes. One must be very carefull putting the pieces together as once they touch, they're stuck. press the pieces together, pound them with a rubber hammer and your really don't even need stitches...I always do but...

Clean up with acetone.

Dap Weldwood is often touted as being as good. I don't think so. It is much more fluid and moves around. It takes longer to dry both too a tacky surface and then once the piece is stuck it exudes powerful fumes much longer than Barge. That said, it does work well...just not as well as Barge.

I have used Barge for as long as I can remember ( and any more that's about 15 minutes:D).

I buy in case lots of Gallons and the formula of the latest purchase is one of the newer formulas but still contains Toluene. It is made up of Toluene, Ethyl Acetate, and Heptane.

There is another brand name out there. "Super Bond" All Purpose Cement, carried by the type stores that cater to the shoe repair industry. It is made by the same company and is simply Barge under another name.

The newer barge formulas that I have used are different in color (darker) but hold as well or maybe even better than the old stuff.

As I said I buy in the gallon size and I'm not sure it even comes in tubes yet/any more, but I have seen it in Qt. containers.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto, so I'm sticking with Barge (no pun intended).

Paul

I followed Sandy's advice back in 2001 and haven't had a regret yet.

Weldwood has been very good to me at half the cost of Barge, twice the glue saves me the money to put toward leather, and thats the bottom line.

I'm sure Barge is quality bar none, but I cant spend twice for the same result. Just my humble opinion.

Okay, curiosity has the best of me. Where do you buy Weldwood at half the cost of Barge? Barge is currently just under about $33/$34/gal., and the last time time I priced Weldwood at Lowe's is was about that same price. Plus it appears that Weldwood has the same "Old formula" New formula" issues as Barge. Gel vs. Original etc.

Paul

Well I'd have to repectfully disagree re Barge vs DAP Weldwood -
In the last 50 years of doing leather work I've used them all and like Sandy and Duane for quality and price Dap 00272 Weldwood The Original Contact Cement works as good or better than any of them.
For me it takes no longer to dry to tacky nor does it smell as strong - used the "new" Barge once and didn't like it at all - but IMO each to their own as long as it works for you..........

and Paul - you can actually remember things for 15 minutes?!?!? ;) :rolleyes: ;)

One thing to note - with ALL contact cements, thinners (including the more benign ones such as alcohol and acetone), etc. have PLENTY of ventialtion and wear gloves - the stuff is insidious and MAJOR health problems can occur - voice of experience......

Okay, guys, I'm gonna try the Dap Weldwood Original formula, but it will be a while because I just bought a case of six gallons of Barge. It appears just by looking at the color, of the Welwood that it may be close kin the the old original Barge.

Oh, RH, I don't know where you are located or the climate, but if any of these cements are subjected to freezing it will ruin them right away.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the help.

Mr.Long
I'm down south but will make sure my left over is inside during the winter.Thanks for the tip.

Last time I went to the leather store Barge was 20.00 a quart my wholesale price, a gallon was 40.

Weldwood costs me seven and change at Wal Mart for a quart. I cant get it there by the gallon, but a quart lasts me long enough to get back for a refill on occasion.

Another vote for DAPS Weldwood Gel......does what it has to for me.
There are either no fumes...or I am used to it by now.....

Back