Attention Whelp...if you are using..

I understand them wanting to be paid for hosting everyone's pics. But $400 a year is nuts and this ransom crap has to be the stupidest idea I've seen in a long time.

Yes, that.

For those suggesting Imgur, you might want to see this from the Terms of Service.

Hosting stuff there might go away as well.

Perhaps a dense question, but-- what do image hosting sites intend for customers/consumers to do with the variety of pre-formatted image links they all provide if not post them in various places on the web...?

~ P.

Perhaps a dense question, but-- what do image hosting sites intend for customers/consumers to do with the variety of pre-formatted image links they all provide if not post them in various places on the web...?

~ P.
What a silly question to ask, you crazy-head. The links are obviously put there to test you... kind of a "forbidden fruit" type thing. Eden is lost forever!

Man. This stinks. Going through some of those old threads is not the same. I use photobucket but my pics are still there. Maybe if I never try to post a pic through them again?

They waited until we were good and hooked...... then they yanked the line like we were a dogtooth tuna when they should have started by treating us like little sardines...

Just signed up for a free 30 day trial on Fotki, paid sub seems reasonable, $44 for 100 gig, 2 year subscription

40520887100421-vi.jpg
[/URL]Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
Fotki sound pretty good... thanks for the heads up. I love the "Photobucket Victims Wanted!" on their home page... lol

While perhaps unwise to consider spending any further time in/with Photobucket, I just read this post in the P-sux thread in Tech Support...

I figured out a workaround for photobucket. Put ~original at the end of the url and it works for me.

photobucket.jpg~original

Could be helpful for anyone that wants to fix their broken pics without having to reupload them. I'm sure photobucket is a sinking ship though, so I don't know how long that will last.

... and it works.

If one of your posts has the Pb We Suck meter instead of a previously visible image, click Edit Post, click on the image/holder, delete everything/anything after .jpg in the URL pop=up, and add ~original.

A stopgap to be sure, but a morale boost to see one's images inline again in the meantime.

~ P.

You all do realize that you can download your photobucket libraries and close your account, right? That's what I did and I also sent them a very "polite" farewell message too.

There are a couple really good free options, I am using one called use dot com. The other one is imgbb dot com.

Don't empty your album and close your account.... fill that baby to the max with garbage and bog down the system! Did I say that out loud?

My account was supposed to have been deleted on 7/2...but they have managed not to do so. When I have time to spare, I I log in and delete a bunch of my images.

While perhaps unwise to consider spending any further time in/with Photobucket, I just read this post in the P-sux thread in Tech Support...

... and it works.

If one of your posts has the Pb We Suck meter instead of a previously visible image, click Edit Post, click on the image/holder, delete everything/anything after .jpg in the URL pop=up, and add ~original.

A stopgap to be sure, but a morale boost to see one's images inline again in the meantime.

~ P.
Spark Spark can you modify the forum to unbreak all the old posts by converting the links to have this ~original at the end of the .jpg of those images? I mean I know it can be done, but is that something you would want to implement to solve the problem of massive amounts of useful images throughout the forums.

I don't know your coding skill levels, so I'm sorry if this is not possible because of that.. the theory would be to find the link to the hosting service and remove the info after .jpg and before [/IMG and apend ~original in between.

No way to do that without effecting all jpg files everywhere

No way to do that without effecting all jpg files everywhere
You would be looking for Photobucket in the link not jpg itself. As I mentioned it def can be done. I don't code anymore else I'd help do it.

I think it is best to let the OP fix their own links as needed. I've had a few folks tell me that the pics in my past(more viewed) threads were broken. It was easy to go back and copy/paste the "~original" and in some cases, re-link new pics.

That being said, I am not a coder and if a script could do it all at once, maybe that should be looked into. I just don't know the chances of it really screwing things up.

You would be looking for Photobucket in the link not jpg itself. As I mentioned it def can be done. I don't code anymore else I'd help do it.

Sure, it can be done via conditionals but not within the software itself, and largely because these aren't fixed directory, fixed image names that will easily be switched out. You have to search for all messages containing photobucket.com/[imagepath] and then find the file type identifier and go from there. The software isn't up to doing it, and I'm not screwing with the database to make changes

Plus, as soon as Photobucket figures out that ~original is bypassing their ransom, they'll plug that hole.

Back