Where I Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYP

Just a reality check...

16 killed in shootout between Somali army, police
(AP) – 4 days ago
MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — Fighting between Somali government troops and police killed 16 people in Somalia's capital on Monday, witnesses said, underscoring the weak U.N.-backed government's inability to control its armed forces.
The fighting began when police executed a plainclothes soldier they suspected of being an Islamist insurgent, police officer Ahmed Nur said. The soldier's colleagues arrived at the scene of the shooting in Benadir market and began attacking the police, he said.
An Associated Press reporter saw 16 bodies at Medina hospital in Mogadishu. Some of the victims were wearing uniforms. Three of the victims were women. Hospital director Mohamed Yusuf said 30 people were wounded.
Cleaners tried to mop up blood from the floor as women screamed outside the hospital. Hundreds of people gathered by the gates, seeking their wounded or dead.
"My husband was killed," wept Hasno Ali. "He was just a businessman."
The killings underscore the lack of discipline and command of Somalia's armed forces after 20 years of civil war. There have been several shoot-outs between police and soldiers in recent years and analysts say the Somali armed forces are more like a collection of militiamen than a well-trained, disciplined national force.
Desertion over lack of pay has been a major problem, impeding the government's ability to fight an al-Qaida linked Islamist insurgency.
Islamist suicide bombers have worn military uniforms before in some of its attacks — a common tactic in conflicts throughout the world — one reason why the police may have been overly suspicious.
Currently international donors led by Italy and the U.S. are supposed to pay around 8,000 Somali soldiers. An EU-led program is halfway through training 2,000 Somali government troops but trainers say one of the biggest problems they faced has been the lack of midlevel junior officers whose duty it is to impose discipline and ensure orders are carried out.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Just a reality check...

16 killed in shootout between Somali army, police
(AP) – 4 days ago
MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — Fighting between Somali government troops and police killed 16 people in Somalia's capital on Monday, witnesses said, underscoring the weak U.N.-backed government's inability to control its armed forces.
The fighting began when police executed a plainclothes soldier they suspected of being an Islamist insurgent, police officer Ahmed Nur said. The soldier's colleagues arrived at the scene of the shooting in Benadir market and began attacking the police, he said.
An Associated Press reporter saw 16 bodies at Medina hospital in Mogadishu. Some of the victims were wearing uniforms. Three of the victims were women. Hospital director Mohamed Yusuf said 30 people were wounded.
Cleaners tried to mop up blood from the floor as women screamed outside the hospital. Hundreds of people gathered by the gates, seeking their wounded or dead.
"My husband was killed," wept Hasno Ali. "He was just a businessman."
The killings underscore the lack of discipline and command of Somalia's armed forces after 20 years of civil war. There have been several shoot-outs between police and soldiers in recent years and analysts say the Somali armed forces are more like a collection of militiamen than a well-trained, disciplined national force.
Desertion over lack of pay has been a major problem, impeding the government's ability to fight an al-Qaida linked Islamist insurgency.
Islamist suicide bombers have worn military uniforms before in some of its attacks — a common tactic in conflicts throughout the world — one reason why the police may have been overly suspicious.
Currently international donors led by Italy and the U.S. are supposed to pay around 8,000 Somali soldiers. An EU-led program is halfway through training 2,000 Somali government troops but trainers say one of the biggest problems they faced has been the lack of midlevel junior officers whose duty it is to impose discipline and ensure orders are carried out.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Hardcore. You're a Somalian soldier?

Last edited by a moderator:
As for me, I have sometimes been in the very same country where violence was taking place -- at the very same time! :eek:

Just a few days ago IN THE SAME STATE I LIVE IN someone was shot in a courtroom. Am I a super badass operator now?

I find it remarkable that ryp has done something perceived as wrong, and suddenly everything he does is bad - his knives, what he does for a living, and now he's apparently throwing the whole military under the bus. I'm surprised you guys haven't attacked his mustache, lol

Fucking amazing the general turn of attitude around here.

In your work, does character count?
Do the people you work with work with you by choice or are they ordered to?

I find it remarkable that ryp has done something perceived as wrong, and suddenly everything he does is bad - his knives, what he does for a living, and now he's apparently throwing the whole military under the bus. I'm surprised you guys haven't attacked his mustache, lol

No, actually people had noticed all that stuff earlier (yes, even the moustache). But when he threatened Ren's wife, well, "the straw that broke the camel's back" is not the right metaphor. That was more like the telephone pole that broke the camel's back. So now you suddenly see a camel under a pile of sticks as well as a telephone pole and you wonder where did those sticks come from? The camel was carrying the sticks all the time -- you just suddenly noticed.

o6v05.jpg

1234,,,,,,:D

He's a low speed, high drag operator. Just ask him.

For the record, he should still be banned. Ren took the high road and all Potsie did was close his thread. Pure class.

-Tye

No, actually people had noticed that stuff earlier (yes, even the moustache). But when RYP threatened Ren's wife, well, that wasn't just the straw that broke the camel's back -- it was more like the telephone pole that broke the camel's back. So now you see a camel under a pile of sticks and a telephone pole and you wonder where did those sticks suddenly come from? The camel was carrying the sticks all the time; you just suddenly noticed.

He's a low speed, high drag operator. Just ask him.

For the record, he should still be banned. Ren took the high road and all Potsie did was close his thread. Pure class.

-Tye

Three out of five ain't bad.

It's nice how we can segue from his closed thread to this one without missing a beat.

-Tye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back