• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Where in the world is Richard Derespina? Let the buyer beware.

It actually only takes a couple mins to cut serrations in....

And the more I read the more of his handmade sounds bogus... he sure outsources a lot for handmade... anyways keep spreading the word this is unacceptable, this gives reputable knifemakers a bad name. Don't think other makers are like this or act like this, they don't. Just vette them thoroughly.

Honestly do not mean to rub salt in the wound, but did you REALLY think he woke up and said to himself I'm going to change my ways today??
Sorry you're stuck again and really hope he comes through for you brother.
Joe

Honestly do not mean to rub salt in the wound, but did you REALLY think he woke up and said to himself I'm going to change my ways today??
Sorry you're stuck again and really hope he comes through for you brother.
Joe

Well, no, but I did at the time think that it would be a relative priority to put the serrations on, and since it should be very easy, that it wouldn't take more than maybe a month or so. I did know it was a risk that I end up waiting a ridiculous amount of time for the minor work, but I also felt it was unacceptable for him to send me an incomplete knife. So I made a decision between two bad choices. In hindsight I probably should have just kept the knife without the serrations, but hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.

And Richard is very talented at sounding sincere in his apologies and promises. Like, con artist talented. He sent me a 700-word response apologizing and addressing my concerns when I told him about the missing serrations, which, if you've ever dealt with this guy, you'd know does not happen often. Which is probably why he continues to have so many customers despite horrendous business practices.

Last edited:
I got ya brother. Hoping you get it back exactly how you wanted it in the first place!!
Joe

And we all learn once more...

Never let the Paypal buyer protection period expire. If a maker quotes you a longer lead time than the protection period, pass it up. If you're quoted a shorter time but you see a pattern of dragged out delays, file a claim before it expires.

This whole "it's been seven years and I'm still out $5k and a Rolex" stuff is getting downright silly.

And we all learn once more...

Never let the Paypal buyer protection period expire. If a maker quotes you a longer lead time than the protection period, pass it up. If you're quoted a shorter time but you see a pattern of dragged out delays, file a claim before it expires.

This whole "it's been seven years and I'm still out $5k and a Rolex" stuff is getting downright silly.
At the time I ordered, Richard had a good reputation. I had never seen any threads like this concerning him. He was probably the most prolific maker of custom karambits. There was nothing on his website about "no refunds whatsoever." I had no reason to think he wasn't an honest professional. And it still shocks me that maybe the #1 maker of custom karambits operates like a con artist. Most industries are not like this. Most amateur buy/sell/trade people are not like this. I used to collect high-end yo-yos, which ran about $100 to $500 each. I bought and traded with hundreds of people. I even used the gifting option when paying on Paypal because it saved the other guy money. I never once got scammed. And this wasn't just second-hand buying and selling. I dealt directly with the makers on several dozen orders. They did the design work themselves, had their own lathes, and could produce very small runs of yo-yos. My point is in that industry, this kind of deception was just unheard of. But in the knife-making world, deception and scamming is evidently rampant. Why is this?

Still, your advice is well-taken. Lesson learned. :suspicion:

BTW, this may be getting old to you, but posting here is the only avenue of communication I have with Richard. He does not respond to emails. After eight months of no personal communication, he finally sent me an apologetic email a couple days after I posted this thread, and a few days after mailed my knives (one incomplete). He did the same to Animus31, breaking months of silence after he posted a thread here. He obviously watches these forums to some extent. I'm hoping he still cares enough about his rapidly dwindling reputation to try to salvage it by completing his orders. I have no other course of action to get my karambit back.

Sucks Shai. Really feel for you brother.
Keep this thread open and add to it as you see fit. If someone does a search on his name we want this thread to be the number one thread to pop up. It'll warn others.
Still hoping you get squared away.
Joe

Just wanted to add that I am another Derespina knives customer affected in the same way --- ordered in early 2015 and haven't heard from the guy at all in almost a year... I have bought custom knives before and NEVER dealt with anything like this...

Last edited:
I'm in on this one.
I placed an order with Rich Derespina, with a stated wait time of 1 yr. 50% payment required up front.
I contacted him after about 15-16 months, requesting an update, and every 4-6 months after that. Most of the time, I didn't get a response...when I did, it was BS excuses. Finally, at about the 3 yr mark, he contacted me saying that he planned to work on my knife in the near future. I expressed my displeasure, and stated that if I had been willing to forfeit my payment, I would have cancelled the order long ago. I told him that my financial situation had changed, and it would likely take me some time to come up with the money...and suggested that if he had another buyer, he could sell the knife and refund my payment. Much to my surprise, he agreed - admitting to poor communication and not honoring his commitment. He said it would probably take about a month to get the knife finished and sold. That was 7 months ago, and he has not responded to any of my subsequent emails/messages.
Buyer Beware!
How appropriate thay this thread got bumped, as I've been thinking that iit's time to contact this clown again. My above quoted post was made nearly a year ago; and - SHOCKER - I have received no replies to my subsequent inquiries. (I think it goes without saying that he has not provided the refund he promised.)

View attachment 714196 So from his web site...
Notice how he says, "email for info" and how he will be out of communication through Feb-March. Well, March was 2 months ago. And I haven't heard from him despite multiple emails. I have been patient for 2 years now..

I am not here to insult the man or even question his reasons for the massive delays. But I expect some basic level of respect as a customer. And I am not getting it at all.

Last edited:
Notice how he says, "email for info" and how he will be out of communication through Feb-March. Well, March was 2 months ago. And I haven't heard from him despite multiple emails. I have been patient for 2 years now..

I am not here to insult the man or even question his reasons for the massive delays. But I expect some basic level of respect as a customer. And I am not getting it at all.

These clowns are just serial offenders that will never change, and are struggling to survive in the real world. Just accept the lesson that you have learned, move on, and never let this kind of trash get inside of your head again.

You know I'm remiss in not taking time to thank all of you people who bring these guys to light. It's a tremendous benefit to me not for buying and selling, but to know who to accept an order from. I will not work for or accept an order from these guys who have worked so hard to gain a BAD reputation.

Paul

Last edited:
Wanted to come back and add that Richard has finally gotten back to me about my knife. He apologized profusely and says I should have it in my hands later this week. He has also offered me additional compensation for the delays. None of this excuses the lack of communication - but at least the man comes through in the end.

Last edited:
Wow!! Never thought this would happen!!
Hoping he finally comes through for you!!

He's got a bunch of other people to come through for, including me. I don't think I've even gotten a response from him in over a year and a half.
In case you haven't figured it out yet, the guy is full of empty promises...I wouldn't start waving the he came through flag until you actually get your knife.

He's got a bunch of other people to come through for, including me. I don't think I've even gotten a response from him in over a year and a half.
In case you haven't figured it out yet, the guy is full of empty promises...I wouldn't start waving the he came through flag until you actually get your knife.
My issue wasn't really him coming through or not - but more the lack of communication. I am not saying that I am totally fine with the ridiculous delays...but they are understandable in comparison to the lack of contact. NOTHING excuses communication issues when you have someone's cash - delays can kinda be excused. I hope I get my knife, and he gets back with you soon man.

Has anyone heard from him I had heard from a couple people he has knives from people from 2012

He has knives from me from 2015 also and idk what's going on wondered if anyone heard anything?

Guys... nobody is getting their knives or their money. Be realistic; this thread is over a year old. For those who paid up front and waited too long to dispute the charges, I'm sorry.

The only way to get anything out of him at this point would be to sue him in small claims court.

Last edited:
Back