Where is this forum Headed??

Just checking to see if this place is going to be around for the long haul?

It has been very quiet of late. Both with members and Mods. I know folks get busy with different seasons. And shows like Blade & Shot eat up a lot of time.

I applied for Krew membership over 20 days ago and no response. Then again, a guy above me applied in December 2016 and didn't get approved until this April. Seems like a long time to wait for a response to a manufacturers request for group support.

If my search skills are correct Official KA-BAR has not been on here since March. I know all the cool kids hang out on the Becker Forum. And I have supported that one as well. Hence my early BH number.

That place took off like gang busters. I'm just curious why the KA-BAR side seems to be languishing? I almost always root for the Underdog. So here I am.

I have done my best to support this forum. Because I see great value in the KA-BAR. It really is a stellar knife. But having been a member on another knife forum that just up and died (I joined early and had no idea of the politics involved).

Frankly, I just don't want to spend hours in the woods trying to come up with interesting and worthwhile content only to have it disappear yet again into cyber space.

In truth, I will spend hours in the woods anyway. So that is no big deal. But the photography, the up/down loading and the composition of worthwhile content takes time.

I also cross post to some Bushcraft Forums so folks that might not otherwise be exposed to KA-BAR Knives have a chance to see them in action. Not because KA-BAR pays me, or gives me free stuff. They don't. But because I personally believe in the product.

I would have asked this question directly of Official KA-BAR in a PM. But with the updated forum. I found no way to contact him directly.

Certainly the Becker Knives are very cool and well received. As they should be. Ethan does a spectacular job of designing and supporting his products. He should, they have his name on them. He also adds a personal touch.

On this side of the fence I see an equal amount of cool products. My Dog's Head has certainly earned its way into my permanent knife collection. And that stands even if this forum were to close today. It's that good.

***Just looking for some Official KA-BAR Guidance on what the future might hold for this Forum.

Thanks for listening,
LostViking

LostViking I just recently became a BH and I noticed that some of the BHs also have a Ka-bar krew number. So I gave it a look see. It is kind of crickets here when compared to the very lively BK&T forum. I don't have alot of experience with the Ka-bar brand so I can't bring much to the table, But I can gain knowledge and share what I've learned. As long as we post interesting topics maybe members will slowly start to gravitate to this forum. I'm going to try.

the becker mods are also mods here.
unfortunately, they aren't very active on BK&T and even less so here.
the hope was for the Krew to vitalize this forum -- which is difficult, because they're already all over on the becker forum.
OKB is busy with other social media and this doesn't get a lot of attention from him because it's not hopping.
it's not hopping because it doesn't get a lot of attention.

catch 22.

what it needs is for folks to do things with their Kabar made blades -- especially the non-Becker ones -- and some good contests, giveaways, gatherings, etc...
something to build it up and get some flow going.

This^^^.

I think I was the KabarKrew member you were referring to... just gotta be patient bro the mods here have a ton to do....

But I agree that this sub forum needs a bit of let's just say work?

I think most Kabar peeps are into beckers so they hang out over in the bkt because it's more active...

Thanks for the post, LostViking. I do check the forum everyday, but usually only log in when I am going to post or have a specific reason to. The BK&T forum came long before the KA-BAR forum. The KA-BAR forum was setup as almost a complimentary piece to BK&T. My role here is to answer questions when I can and stay out of the way. Moderators and members were the expectation for driving content. We have social media channels across the board and a website and that is were we see it is our place to dictate content. Is this forum going to go away? Not very likely. It has never even been discussed as an option. However, one conscience decision that was made early on was that we would not use this as an advertising platform - there is just something very insincere in that regard considering the setting. BF is the closest thing I have found to an Internet camp fire: folks stop in, relax, and discuss their hobbies and passion in a (generally) friendly manner. What is/was our vision for this forum? Our vision was that the direction of this forum would be dictated by its membership. There are several excellent members here that are quick to answer questions - that is outstanding and exactly what we hoped for. Unless something is wildly off or inaccurate, I prefer to let them answer. Ethan is a great ambassador for BK&T and KA-BAR. From a factory standpoint, he is a dream to work with. From a personal standpoint, it is even better to have him as a friend. My question to you LostViking (and other members here) is this: what would you like to see on this forum? What is your vision here? It is essentially a blank slate at this point and can be shaped and molded in to what the members find most useful/entertaining/insightful.

I'm seeing similar things in a lot of the forums I belong to. The traffic is either down, or I'm seeing a changing of the participation from the people there regarding the subjects that people are interested in. A couple of the places seem to be moving away from the subjects that the forums were originally setup to cover and being more centered on being a virtual gathering place to chat. Nothing really wrong with that as I believe the social aspect of a forum was and is part of it's function.
Maybe it has something to do with people using other platforms to converse through. I've seen a couple of forums just disappear with really no chatter about where they went to out there when I do a search.
I do like the postings from members here sharing their recent experiences with us. Some of you take very good pictures and video's. Maybe this is just a phase and soon this too will pass.

OKB,

First off, thank you for the response.

I will give it some thought and respond in this thread in a day or so. It seems some contemplation would be wise.

Make no mistake, I am aware, even if painfully so. That other social media sites like Facebook and Reddit, are huge drivers of business. And as such, deserve a proportional amount of attention. I personally will not be jumping on that bandwagon. But that discussion is for another thread.

This is your forum. It bears the Company name. Or at least the Division name. So, I would expect it to be a driver of business for you. I certainly hope it drives some business for you.

There is definitely a difference between shamelessly hawking every product or device you make here. And offering advice, tips, and possibly even guidance about products already out or in the pipeline. However, with that being said. I do think it wise to limit the pre-release hype. That just never seems to end well for either side.

I like your description of this forum as a campfire.
To expand on that analogy. This fire seems to be growing a little dim. Many folks here are walking between the two camps. They hear lots of noise from Ethan's camp. So they wander over and have some fun. Two camps can be good. Especially for the owner of the campsite, and even for the campers. Options are always good.

I was heavily involved in Ethan's camp early on. And ended up wandering over here. Not really even sure why. I was just drawn in by the history of the KA-BAR. There was definitely no animosity involved. I quite enjoyed my time over there and hope I contributed to their forum. I still stop by from time to time.

One thing the KA-BAR camp lacks, is some great, slightly eccentric, but in a real world way, chap with his larger than life personality.

Maybe it is because I live in the woods, and sit by many real campfires. I tend to avoid the larger camps and their associated fires.

As a resident New Yorker. Perhaps this goes a little deeper for me. Having owned a business in this state. I understand how difficult that endeavor can be. I like to see New York companies thrive. Even better if they make knives.

Like many folks. I come and go on the internet. I certainly will never purchase enough knives to keep you in business. But I try and do my part. Sometimes the cyber world just wears me down, and I need a break from it.

When I returned from my last break. I was greeted with new forum software. And having to work to retrieve passwords, plus get acquainted with a new platform.

In my business life and in my personal life. I try to avoid focusing on anomalies. Chosing instead to focus on longer term trends. A blip of high or low here and there, matters little in the longer term outlook. Trends are what they are. And businesses change. At least the ones who choose to remain in business.

One doesn't have to be a marketing analyst to pick up on the trends. I don't have hard facts to back this next statement up. But my seat of the pants assessment is. Overall traffic is down here on Blade since the latest software transition. Again that is unsupported by hard analytical numbers. But many sub-forums I typically visit seem unusually quite. This one included.

Another driver of my original post question. Is the fact that I find the new software more difficult to work with when posting content and photos.
In a thread such as my Dog's Head review. I could post and edit in Word and then transfer it here in batches. That seems to have gone away with the change. So the uploading of photos has become a tedious chore. Honestly, it's just not fun anymore.

The downside of that is two fold. It is just a royal pain for me. But it also limits what I call "Taking the show on the road"

I have posted that review on other sites as well as here. I believe in that blade. I believe in KA-BAR. And I wanted to share my experience with other folks, on other sites. Folks got to see a knife they had preconceived notions about performing in a way they didn't expect. It was received very, well.

Many other forums have made the switch to similar software. Making this task next to impossible. Or at the very least time extremely bandwidth and time consuming. The technology on my end is as modern as I can get. I'm working off a new Ipad Pro. Yet it is now way more difficult that it was.

I should have warned you in advance. For me to even be asking this question, reflects a great desl of thought and analysis. I didn't just wake up one day and think it was too quiet here. This would have been handled in a PM if I could have figured how to get one to you.

You are also 100% correct in the fact that there are some great KA-BAR folks here. Their knowledge a great resource. I don't begin to scratch the surface of what they offer to this community.

I will ponder your question to me. In the hopes of enhancing our campfire in some positive way. Perhaps others here will chime in and offer you some of their feedback as well.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond. It goes a long way.
LV,

I'm seeing similar things in a lot of the forums I belong to. The traffic is either down, or I'm seeing a changing of the participation from the people there regarding the subjects that people are interested in. A couple of the places seem to be moving away from the subjects that the forums were originally setup to cover and being more centered on being a virtual gathering place to chat. Nothing really wrong with that as I believe the social aspect of a forum was and is part of it's function.
Maybe it has something to do with people using other platforms to converse through. I've seen a couple of forums just disappear with really no chatter about where they went to out there when I do a search.
I do like the postings from members here sharing their recent experiences with us. Some of you take very good pictures and video's. Maybe this is just a phase and soon this too will pass.

Sac Troop,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see it until after I posted my thoughts. But your thoughts seem to support some of what I'm seeing, and trying to articulate.

I, for one, love when designers stop in here to talk about their newest designs that Kabar is coming out with. Like when Jesse shows up to talk about his designs, the knowledge and thought that went into them and why they are shaped, ground, and built the way they are, etc... It's one thing to buy a knife and be able to experience it personally. It brings a whole new level of appreciation to understand WHY, from the perspective of the guy who designed it, it is the way it is.

I wish some of the other designers working with Kabar, like Snody and Johnson would stop in. It's always cool to make a personal connection with the guys behind the scenes. It builds loyalty. Why do you think Becker has such a strong following here? He's present. I think presence is key.

I agree completely. Its a nice feeling when Mr E respons to one of my post at the BK&T forum. I'd love to hear the thought process that went through a designers head. And it builds a historical data base for future collectors.

Last edited:
I love the few ka-bar blades i have and I always come to this subforum first and am anyways disappointed with the lack of fresh content.
I have the same frustration with the Ontario subforum.
Not sure what to do with that but my time will go elsewhere.... Maybe not my $ as I think both brands deliver outstanding value, but as a knife enthusiast, there is just not enough going on here.... Or in the okc forum

I have few ka-bar blades i have and I always come to this subforum first and am anyways disappointed with the lack of fresh content.
I have the same frustration with the Ontario subforum.
Not sure what to do with that but my time will go elsewhere.... Maybe not my $ as I think both brands deliver outstanding value, but as a knife enthusiast, there is just not enough going on here.... Or in the okc forum
Post some pics of your blades. You know we love our pictures here lol Every little bit helps:thumbsup:

I, for one, love when designers stop in here to talk about their newest designs that Kabar is coming out with. Like when Jesse shows up to talk about his designs, the knowledge and thought that went into them and why they are shaped, ground, and built the way they are, etc... It's one thing to buy a knife and be able to experience it personally. It brings a whole new level of appreciation to understand WHY, from the perspective of the guy who designed it, it is the way it is.

I wish some of the other designers working with Kabar, like Snody and Johnson would stop in. It's always cool to make a personal connection with the guys behind the scenes. It builds loyalty. Why do you think Becker has such a strong following here? He's present. I think presence is key.

Guys - I will be the first to admit that I've done a poor job when it comes to having a presence on the forums. I just haven't made it part of what I do and I need to spend more time here. I am just a neophyte when it comes to forums and how they work. That said, I'm plain as dirt and I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone has about my designs, me or how and why I do what I do. Honestly, getting some good conversations going is the kind of thing that will get my sorry butt hooked on spending time here. Please hit me up with questions, comments and otherwise and I will do my best to spend more time here and less on Instagram. - Steve Johnson, Adventure Blades

Thanks SEJ73. We Loooooove pictures. Gotta have visuals lol. I'm 53 and my wife forced my first cell phone on me 2 months ago. If I can figure this out anybody can. And I'm a product of the Florida public education system:rolleyes: I can even make those face things now!!!

Thanks SEJ73. We Loooooove pictures. Gotta have visuals lol. I'm 53 and my wife forced my first cell phone on me 2 months ago. If I can figure this out anybody can. And I'm a product of the Florida public education system:rolleyes: I can even make those face things now!!!

Right on! Pictures are worth 1000 words. I'll get this figured out, the picture thing is escaping me at the moment, but I'll stay after it. What kind of stuff would the gang like to hear about? Designs? Handles? Blades? Materials? Inspiration for designs? Just let me know and I'll make it happen. Question: is there a way to get "notifications" when someone posts on a thread?

At the top right of the begining of each thread it will say watch thread or unwatch thread. Click on that. And you will get alerts when someone post to a thread you are watching. They will be next to the envelope by your call sign. Also you can watch forums its in the black menu bar at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Right on! Pictures are worth 1000 words. I'll get this figured out, the picture thing is escaping me at the moment, but I'll stay after it. What kind of stuff would the gang like to hear about? Designs? Handles? Blades? Materials? Inspiration for designs? Just let me know and I'll make it happen. Question: is there a way to get "notifications" when someone posts on a thread?

We were hoping that some of the Ka-Bar designers would make there presence known. Bring your knowledge to the table and spread it out like Thanksgiving Dinner:D

Thank you Mr. Johnson!!

At present I don't own any JABs. But I will give them a look. I like elliptical blades and your Potbelly is right there. I still remember with great fondness the Halloween Zombie Train epic flick.

I run Smugmug as a photo hosting site. Frome there it is just a matter of copying and then clicking on the icon next to the happy face that looks like a mountain and a sun. Paste into the insert slot and click insert.

I am a Luddite with the tech stuff. But individual photos aren't that bad.

I love your "Plain as dirt" description. I'm right there with ya.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a great opportunity.

In keeping with the Camp & Campfire theme.
Instead of just slapping up a shack, adding boards to it as we need them. Then. covering it with assorted tin we find along the way.

This may allow us time to plan and start with a solid foundation to work off of. Placing our campfire pit where it will best serve the most folks who would like to sit by it.

Ironically, I aiways say you can learn a lot about a man, or a woman, by rhe camp they build. And how they maintain it. So this fits well into my way of thinking.

A quick trip over to Tomar's identifies for me, one of our first potential hurdles. Over at the other camp. Which I will now refer to as Ethan's Camp. We basically have Ethan. The Big E, Uncle Ethan. It is his camp, and he has placed his name on it.

Our Camp to steal a phrase from today's crazy world, is much more diverse. We don't just have one celebrity. We have many.

Steve Johnson from Johnson Adventure,
Jesse Jarosz from Jarosz Knives,
Mike Snody from Snody Knives,
John Benner from TDI Knives,
Bob Dozier from. Dozier Knives
The John Ek knives,

Not to mention the core group of actual KA-BAR knives like the F/U and the Dog's Head. (My apologies, If I forgot someone. I feel like I'm at the Oscars. I wouldn't do well at the Oscars)

Think about the potential we have here, with that list of names above! It offers up so much in the way of designs, ideas and potential camaraderie. Just think Ethan times six!

Yet for every Yin, there is a Yang. With all that diversity, comes division and dilution. Not necessarily in a bad way. But it's there. Folks will like Steve's knives or Jesse's knives, or John's knives. And so on.

Ethan was wise in that regard. He brought Jerry in as a Special Guest Star on the BK-5, and had another visit from another guest star on the 12. (I think it's the 12. I own #3 you'd think I'd know what it is). But the star of the Camp is always Ethan Becker.

I see two challenges.
Both are real world challenges. Let's face it folks. In order for KA-BAR to remain viable, or even survive. They HAVE to sell knives. That is an inescapable fact.

So with that being said. Let's interject KA-BAR as the owner of the Campground. Or the property where we are and hopefully will continue to camp.

Buying knives is the way both Camps pay the fees for the space they will camp on. And some of that money will go towards the special events we will have at both camps.

Here is the next challenge. And this is a big one.
KA-BAR has built and allowed allowed us to have two seperate and distinct Camps. This costs them more money.

A smaller sub-challenge for them as well as us. Is stealing, borrowing, migrating, people between Camps. What ever you want to call it. Really doesn't add to the revenue. If I buy a KA-BAR this month. I probably won't be buying a Becker this month.

I may wander over to Ethan's Camp next year. And see he just released his new BK-213. I may think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and buy two. As I'm conditioned to doing. But I most likely won't be buying a KA-BAR at the same time.

Part of the reason I started this thread. And risked peeing in everybody's Cheerios is this. In the United States of America. There are only two ways for businesses to survive.

#1. Be owned by the Government.

Or the more realistic option,

#2. Continue to grow and to generate more revenue. Revenue, and more importantly Profit. Yes profit, it's not an evil word. Proft must exceed expenses if KA-BAR is to survive.

Where am I going with all this you ask??

Traffic folks. Traffic is where it's at.
Traffic creates excitement. Excitement creates interest. Intrest converts to revenue. Revenus generates profits.

But not just Traffic. That is available on Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook.
(Incidentally, did you guys know? Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook are merging. It will now be known as YouTwitFace. Keep that under your hats for now. It hasn't been announced yet)

If this place is to survive. We need Traffic here. We will never be Facebook. And Thankfully Facebook will never be Blade Forums.

Spark has a dog in this fight too. If Blade Forums loses enough ground. Spark takes up residency in my newley remodeled Outhouse. None of us want that.

Look again at that list of names. If we succeeed, they succeed. And further down the chain, the folks who make those knives these guys put their names on get to feed their families, and enjoy life.

We need our Camp to be active. But we need to drive not just more traffic, but new traffic. Just as much as well as the old well seasoned guys, that grab a beer and strolls that well worn path between the two Camps.

This is running long. And I have stuff to do. So I will pick it up later.

But I am already extremely pleased that we have solid feedback from OKB and Steve Johnson.

Thank you gentlemen!
LV

Last edited:
Back