Which knives were you into 10 years ago?

Wolverine666

Gold Member
It's funny how our tastes and preferences change with time and experience.

A lot of new knife designs , companies and steels have emerged over the last decade.

Back in 2007 , my EDC's were a Spyderco Paramilitary 1 and a Benchmade HK Axis folder 14210.

I was into smaller designs then.

So which knives were you into 10 years ago?

more serrated ones due to my weaker skills sharpening back then. other than that about the same for the most part.

pACE3-18611059enh-z7.jpg

Back in 07...I was into flea market knives and buck knives were considered my grails. Now I edc a Sebenza..yeah

You've come quite a ways. I bet if someone told you ten years ago that someday you'd be carrying a $500 knife everyday you would have scoffed at them. I would have.

In 2007 I was carrying a Police SS and Case Canoe. Around 2009 I replaced those with a BM 940 and Spyderco Rookie G10

10 years ago I was into 5+" choppers 0.25" thick. Now I am looking at 3.5-4.5" 0.125" thick bushcrafting knives. My "tastes" have definitely changed. I have a bunch of nice folders but am still on the lookout for more nice folders. I do carry a near $500 knife around the house and property because it just works so well. When I go into town I carry a decent folder.

I'd say 10 years also I was more into value folders, something I could beat on at work without feeling guilty. I had a few Crkt's that fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately their quality seemed pretty hit and miss and very few lefty friendly designs led me away. I found Spyderco had a lot of ambidextrous options and reasonable pricing on higher quality products. I still love Spyderco but have since acquired many other brands too. More recently I was on a traditional kick as they are more "friendly" and can use in public without scaring anyone. I'm out with the kids a lot in places with other kids and paranoid moms around and such.

Spydercos.

What has changed is that I now collect Spydercos. And I have a lot more expensive knives that I carry.

Balisongs and Italian stilettos were my jam! Illegal where I live now, and not practical for my needs.

I was toting a Buck Odessey folder and eyeballing my first Spyderco, an Endura full serrated edge.

For a long time I thought you were stupid if you paid over $20 for your knife thankfully I got the sense knocked back into me. And now I edc a CRK inkosi

I was 12 and the knife world was my oyster, I was interested in all knives. I didn't know what was good or bad ,though luckily my only knives were good.
My carry knives were a blue vic Swiss card light, and a carbon steel Shcrade 33OT stockman.
It was a wonderful time because everything I saw was so cool. Now I know what I like as well as what the minimum of quality is , because of this I also now hate 75%+ of modern knives I see. it's not all my fault though as most companies tend to live by the motto " form over function ". They may or may not actually function, but they just look like crap because form was the designers primary concern.

I had some cheaper but decent old stuff, like a Victorinox Gardener, Mini-Buck 425, and a Kabar clone of a Buck 110. I also had a Schrade X-Timer and Taylor S&W Cuttin Horse when I discovered modern OHO knives. I coveted Buck knives the 119 in particular and the Kabar USMC iconic blade. I figured Buck and Kabar were just the best.

10 years later I have a few Spydercos, a few budget blades like my Kershaw Cryo, then I have a handful of traditionals, mostly Barlows and Trappers. Now I covet more Spydies in Super steels, a ZT0562, and Becker fixed blades, Benchmade fixed blades, and if I ever get a custom it will be a fixed blade. I'll probably go custom on any significant fixed blade purchase just because BF has some real talent I'd love to support!

10 years ago I was carrying a Vic SAK. I still carry a Vic SAK. :rolleyes: When I joined the forum in 2005, I was just getting into modern knives after many years of carrying and using traditional knives. I liked SOG stuff 10 years ago. But I grew out of that for various reasons. I was buying 1/4" thick steel knives (think BK-2 or the like); most of which I never used for anything. Now I generally buy and use thinner bladed fixed blades, but have been carrying regular traditional knives more and more (regular traditional like a Case vs a Vic SAK). Most of the knives I have purchased this year have been traditional knives. I consider it a re-alignment of my cutting priorities toward practical. But I still buy and use modern knives. If I carry two knives, one is a modern.

Probably carrying a Buck 110 on special occasion, and a lot of cheap Spanish or American stuff. Back in these days, CRKT and Kershaw were Grails...

Ten years ago i was pretty much collecting kai products exclusively aside from balisongs and the odd otf. Might have even had my first zt scavengers at that point. Now its all about bearings and flippers. Funny how a certain someone back then told me bearing flippers would likely never be as big of a deal as i hoped they would be. I love being right. :cool:

Back