Which knives were you into 10 years ago?

"It's funny how our tastes and preferences change with time and experience.
A lot of new knife designs , companies and steels have emerged over the last decade."

That's for sure !

This is what I was EDCing way back then. Boy . . . hahaha pretty tame huh . . .

Now ?

I'm sportin' this sweet piece of kit !

:p
Oh and I still use the sandwich goop spreader and have since around the year 0 or so.

Of course it’s day time now,

(looks like I need to wax the handle again)

. . . well . . . it hasn’t been a full ten years since I got the first knife . . . actually . . .
having this personal "condition" that I do I tend to loose track of time a little bit. For certain details . . . you understand. Well maybe you don't.

Haha whatever works for ya.

Is that the same quarter too?

SOG.

Trident satin clip point
Trident tanto TiNi
X-RAY Vision mini
Pentagon Elite
Flash II TiNi partial serrations
Seal Pup

Bear and Son Damascus Subhilt fixed fighter. A client was the local sales and marketing rep for bear and son, got a huge discount for me.

Kershaw all black leek
Scallion

CRKT M16 12Z
K.I.S.S.
P.E.C.K.

Camillus lev-r-lock.

Not my proudest moment.

I've noticed that my taste and personal preference in knives has gone from favoring smaller folders to prefering larger ones. It used to be a Spyderco Native or BM 707. Now it's an Umnumzaan and a Spyderco Military (I absolutely love the 204P Military I just got).

I've also steadily gravitated toward frame locks. They are probably my favorite lock mech. Although , I just got my first liner lock and I'm thrilled and impressed with it's solid and secure lock up. That nice "Thwack" immediately inspires confidence.

Wonder what I'll be carrying in another ten years.

"Military"
yes . . . the call is strong for me.
"204P Military"
That's the dark green handled dude ? I was ogling it just last night.

I too have gone longer. However now that I am not trying to succeed at the "One Knife For A Month" challenge (I was a miserable failure there) . . . I have backed off on the blade length a little but still pretty much must have the longer / full size handle. Craziness you all say . . . you may be right. I often carry my knife in a pouch including the Para 2 so that gives me a lot more latitude for handle shape.

Here’s the “natural” progression :

Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini
Spyderco Para 2 (seriously sweet knife)
Opinel #12 slightly modified (I’m sure you have all done this but added so as not to break the thread):)
Cold Steel Ti Lite modified

Now ?

Well I think at some point I will go with the Ti Lite six with the blade grind of the four in the photo above (or maybe leaning toward Bowie) and shorten the handle to the same length as the four (so length of the four but fatter/fuller handle of the six).

I’m trembling with the anticipation . . .

Last edited:
I pretty much bought things that only looked cool. That was because i didnt really use my knives for anything. Now that I actually need different tools for different tasks I only go 90% for looks ;)

Wowbagger Wowbagger That is pretty cool! A razor blade opinel...hmmm maybe thats what i should do for my job. It would be tough to chop up a beautiful opinel blade tho.

10 years ago all I carried was my Kershaw Leek...still have it today, but back then I couldn't imagine spending over $100 on a knife.

Times change......

10 years ago I carried a Vic Tinker daily along with a a Case folder. Usually a Mini- Copperlock or a medium stockman. I also often carried a Benchmade AFCK. Today I have retired the AFCK and all other tactical style folders, and still carry SAKs and Case folders. So not much has changed.

Knives I couldn't afford and now I have them.
VVWnJ5Z.jpg

If I can recall, and many knives ago, I was into big bowies, tactical looking with micarta scales and kydex sheaths. That led to Hudson Bay knives that looked like the mountain man era, and now it is small 2.5 to 4 inch small fixed blades. I also remember that Ats34 was really hitting the market as a new great steel and everyone was making knives with it.

One thing I always remember that has not changed is that as a kid I believed it was really cool to have a Swiss Army knife in the zippered arm pocket of my bomber jacket, my friend and I would play in the creek and woods, pretending to avoid enemy patrols. That was in the 70's, I am showing my age.

Last edited:
Ten years ago i was into saks and carbon steel slip-joints. My most carried were a Vic. Fieldmaster and a Case 3254 Trapper. Now days im still in to saks and slip-joints however they have both gotten smaller over the last ten years.
The biggest change however is that i have also started carrying a modern folder clipped to my pocket. Usually a Spyderco.

My interests started in the military issue/surplus knives because I was under the assumption that military people know the importance of a good knife. Quickly found ESEE after realizing how crap they really were.
Now I've gone to traditional folders and fixed blades.

10 years ago I was just carrying and using SAKs (Vic Ourider, Vic Classic, etc.)

then I got into cheap flippers, gas station novelty folders...
a bit after that I started getting big camp, survival and bowie or hunting knives
adding more big blades (machetes, choppers) to the collection
after having enough of those I tried out Ontario, KaBar, and similar "American classics"
and finally settled into carrying OHO Folders from Cold Steel and Spyderco,
as well as Multitools and the always-present SAK(s)

" . . . a lot of Euro blue collar knives for under $20."

Henry,

I would like to see those. Will you post a link to a photo of them or start a thread to show them off ?

Here's a link that I started a while back to talk about these knives. I have posted some pics, but I won't know for sure what's in the thread unless I go back and look. In any case, I have added quite a few since, so I guess I ought to take some new pics.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/is-there-a-term-to-describe-these-knives.1343417/

Update: well, there are no photos in that thread. I have posted a few somewhere, and there are a number of threads on this topic in the Traditional sub-forum. Plus, there are whole threads on Spanish, Sardinian and French regional knives.

Second update: This thread has pics of the ones I owned at the time (at post#50), plus plenty of others.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...aditional-knives.1434388/page-3#post-16537470

Last edited:
Alot of Bud K junk. Daggers, Butterfly knives, and sword canes that I simply refer to as $19.95 specials. Of course I was I was only working a part time job and going to school so I couldn't afford better quality stuff, but as I moved on up and got a better paying job I was able to afford better quality knives from more reputable companies known for producing well built and reliable knives.

I bought my first small sebenza in 2007... Been eyeballing them for a few years and thought it was nuts to pay 350 for a knife. Replaced my bm 720. I go back and forth between carrying a sebenza or a traditional now adays. I truly enjoy the choices and the hobby

Masters of Defense Dieter CQD, and a Pat Crawford neck knife. I wish I had both of them today.

Back