Which multi-tool meets these requirements?

Are there any multi-tools that have:

Replacement wire cutters
Bit adapter
Premium straight edge blade steel (non-420HC)
?

I've seen Leatherman models that have two of the above, but not all 3.

Thanks.

Welcome to the club. I've wondered for years why Leatherman doesn't offer a tool that does what you call for.

I'm not familiar with all the other brands, but regarding Leatherman, I think your only option is to buy a Wave, and switch the pliers out with another tool with the replaceable cutters. It's been done, but I can't remember which tool the wire cutters jaws came from.

If I can find the thread on it I'll post it here.

~Chris

Welcome to the club. I've wondered for years why Leatherman doesn't offer a tool that does what you call for.

I'm not familiar with all the other brands, but regarding Leatherman, I think your only option is to buy a Wave, and switch the pliers out with another tool with the replaceable cutters. It's been done, but I can't remember which tool the wire cutters jaws came from.

If I can find the thread on it I'll post it here.

~Chris
I was afraid I was out of luck, at least with Leatherman. Thanks Chris.

I think that many people don't carry a multitool as a knife so they don't bother making sure a lot of different models have an unnecessary fancy steel.

I would just not worry and pair your multitool with an actual knife.

but I can't remember which tool the wire cutters jaws came from.
Surge. Requires some modification I believe. Even then you need to buy the blade from a Charge to get superior steel at which point the build starts getting pretty expensive.

There are some mod services around. I think the demand compared to price just doesn't do it for LM, they know their price points pretty well I think.

Thanks for the replies. Considering it seems to target the high end multi-tool market, I would have figured the Charge TTi would have replaceable wire cutters with its price point. Oh well.

It might get them eventually as LM cycles new designs in, they keep adding the cutters to more tools. Worth asking them about.

The SOG powerplier can be completely taken apart. Can replace the wire cutter, has the 1/4" hex drive and can buy the separate adaptor kit so you have an entire tool kit on your hip. But as everyone has said the blades are made of 420hc steel. Because the blades are so thin to fit inside any tool, they break easy, so it's more affordable for the companies to make them in massive volume. Spoke to Spencer the owner of SOG and it would be very expensive to use a VG10 or S30V on a thin blade. Yes would be sharper but same issue with breakage. Multi tools are tools first the knife really is secondary, as most people will also carry a edc knife with them also.

The Charge TTi and Skeletool CX have a blade with a premium steel, bit driver, and wire cutters so depending what else you want the option is there.

The Charge TTi has S30V blade and the Skeletool CS has a 154CM blade

The Charge TTi and Skeletool CX have a blade with a premium steel, bit driver, and wire cutters so depending what else you want the option is there.

OP needs the replaceable wire cutters, like the type found on the ST300 & Surge.

~Chris

DOH! my mistake there hmm yeah then I think current market options he is SOL.

Looks like the Blade is easily removable on the Surge and Skeletool could get those swap the blades and he would have his tool. Even the Charge TTi looks like screw construction so probably an easy mod there between those options. I guess he can sell the other tool put together with the parts he doesn't want.

Last edited:
The SOG powerplier can be completely taken apart. Can replace the wire cutter, has the 1/4" hex drive and can buy the separate adaptor kit so you have an entire tool kit on your hip. But as everyone has said the blades are made of 420hc steel. Because the blades are so thin to fit inside any tool, they break easy, so it's more affordable for the companies to make them in massive volume. Spoke to Spencer the owner of SOG and it would be very expensive to use a VG10 or S30V on a thin blade. Yes would be sharper but same issue with breakage. Multi tools are tools first the knife really is secondary, as most people will also carry a edc knife with them also.
I can see how this makes sense. The Charge TTi has an S30V blade, and is quite expensive. So expensive in fact, I'm not sure why there are no replacement wire cutters. The street price for a LM Rebar is $60, and it has them. Adding the replacement wire cutters surely isn't that much of a potential price increase.

This would be for someone who 1) likes the higher end things of a specific category, like multi-tools, and 2) sees no point in carrying a pocket knife when you can carry pliers and a pocket knife in one package.

If you look at the life-span of the average LM tool, they seem to have at least a 5-10 year lifecycle, I mean think of how long the Wave has been around and we are only on Mk2. The Rebar replaced the Fuse or Kick, which replaced the Pulse, and so its far newer in the than the Charge. Since the new Surge has the replaceable cutters, They will probably add them in at the next revision. But as I said, they don't tend to make changes too willy nilly. I mean they retired the Crunch, and then brought it back and its been hanging around for a long time.

LOVE the SOG PowerPlier.

P3ftkoF.jpg

Unrivaled in the multitool world IMO

I had 2 different SOG powerpliers break their own jaws on copper tubing.

then unless it was a cast/steel/manufacturing error you'd have broken the jaws on any other Multitool, IME the PP has jaws as sturdy and solid as the Surge, Rebar, MP600, Swisstool or Spirit

unepTae.jpg

SOG Power Lock, Leatherman Wave/Wingman and Victorinox Swisstool Spirit X are my top 4 Multitools.

I tend to get what I need out of all of these. I mostly use them for fishing, hunting, and general light duty repairs when I don't have a toolbox. Good pliers for taking hooks out of fish and clamping on weights, scissors for trimming line..ect, knife for cutting rope....it's just always handy having pliers, knife, scissors and screwdrivers in your pocket at all times.

I go back and forth on which one I like the most but Wingman is pretty sweet for the money. I really like the fit/finish of the Victorinox and SOG but the overall solid feel in the hand of the Leatherman.

As for the OP, 420HC is really the best steel for a multi tool application because it's relatively inexpensive, fairly durable and performs well for the purpose of a backup blade. I always have a higher quality blade in my pocket as well but like having the backup in the multi tool. When I have the notion of making ill-advised use of a blade I do it with the blade in the multi.

Back