whittling with a swiss army knife

i have a couple swiss army knife questions. how many of you whittle with a swiss army knife? and what model of swiss army knife do you whittle with?

Ive done a little whittling with a Tinker and Super tinker. I prefer the Tinker, it is just a bit more comfy for longer periods of use.

I like a two-blade non-Alox model for whittling, such as the Recruit, Spartan, or Camper.

I started a thread over on the Swiss sub-form at multitool.org about just this subject. Look it up; there's great info there. It's called SAK Whittling Club or something. Search on 'whittling club' and you'll find it.

In my opinion, the Recruit is the best model for whittling. Since it has no back tools, it is easy on the hands, but it still has the large blade for mass material removal, and the small blade for precision whittling.

The next best is the Hiker. It is a bit bigger, still has both large and small blades, and adds a saw, which is good for harvesting branches as you encounter them. Since it has the phillips on the back instead of the corkscrew, it is more friendly to the hand.

On any of the models, you're going to have to remove the keyring and grind the nub down, so it doesn't dig into the hand when using the small blade.

Plus one for the Tinker. Used mine tonight to whittle the loom on a Greenland Style kayak paddle.

Out does my GEC 57 whittler in all respects except for looks, of course.

Best deal for a good whittler out there.

The Hiker sounds great as well. I already had the Tinker when I took up the pastime.

Great steel in those Vic knives.

Whittled with a swiss champ and a leatherman juice:

Dv7BMMonYqdV95fX.jpg

Nice chain Beto, my great grandpa used to make those, and balls in a box, etc., dad still has some of them. G-grandpa was a farmer and part time carpenter, and made extra money in the non-working winter months carving tool handles for the local hardware store.

Anyways, I use my alox pioneer rancher and alox harvester. I like the location and cutting edge on their awls, and the slight hawkbill blade is useful for many tasks. I wish that they also had a smaller blade, but alas, you can't have it all.

SwissChamp, Trekker, Tinker, Super Tinker and Hercules. They all do nicely, though the others are probably more comfortable than the SwissChamp and the Hercules.

Interestingly, he convexes the edge, and does not go full wharncliffe. He makes a pointier tip by removing spine and edge equally.

In my opinion, the Recruit is the best model for whittling. Since it has no back tools, it is easy on the hands, but it still has the large blade for mass material removal, and the small blade for precision whittling.

The next best is the Hiker. It is a bit bigger, still has both large and small blades, and adds a saw, which is good for harvesting branches as you encounter them. Since it has the phillips on the back instead of the corkscrew, it is more friendly to the hand.
Or perhaps the Tinker, or the 84mm Tinker Small. I heard the small Tinker was discontinued though. :(

Back