• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Who can grind/modify my Knife to be less than 2.5 inch, Emerson CQC-14 2.7 inch is now "illegal" LOL

Who can grind/modify my Emerson Knife to be less than 2.5 inch, my Emerson CQC-14 2.7 inch is now "illegal" at UCLA

This is a continuation of an older thread coming from Commiefornia :(

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...erson-cqc-14-2-7-inch-is-now-illegal.1304708/

Any knife including a belt buckle knife, dirk dagger, cane sword, pen knife, lipstick knife, switchblade, butterfly knife or any knife that has a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, opens automatically or has more than one sharp edge

https://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/prevention-education/education/weapons-are-prohibited-on-campus

well now the Emerson is illegal and it doesn't matter if it is a folder or not. So I am looking for recommendations on who can modify this knife and shave of 0.2 inches so that the blade is 2.5 exactly.

I really like the larger handle 5 inch handle of the Emerson cqc 14 which is why I am leaning towards sticking with it. IF there is a fixed 2.5 inch blade with a LARGE handle (equal in size at least to the Emerson cqc14's handle which is 5 inches long) I would also like some recommendations for that just in case I decide to make another purchase vs removing metal from the Emerson. I really love my Emersons and it took me a long time to save up for the two I have so there is a bit of hesitation on grinding one of them down which is why I'm open for suggestions.

Krein Knives, Razor Edge Knives and many more here offer regrind services. UCLA Policy 131 appears to be in line with CPC § 626.10. Hence, you may want to take note of the underlined section of subsection (e) below:

(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to any person who brings or possesses an ice pick or a knife having a fixed blade longer than 2 1/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, state university, or community college for lawful use in or around a residence or residential facility located upon those grounds or for lawful use in food preparation or consumption.

Thank you for these recommendations & for the additional legal information.

It does make me a bit confused.
"lawful use in food preparation or consumption." God can only imagine where this is defined in the code of laws. Remember this is a insane campus where they have signs all over proclaiming it to be a gun free zone and then a Professor gets gunned down in his office. I don't want to get in trouble even tho it looks like it might be legal, however I don't know what specific knives fall under "lawful use in food preparation or consumption."

I attended USC for four years and UCLA for two. Always carried over three and never got into any trouble because of it. Not that I am advocating anything other than a careful review of CPC and Universiity of California policy as it pertains to the possession of knives on campus. I believe that Big Chris Custom Knives also offers regrinds.

I attended USC for four years and UCLA for two. Always carried over three and never got into any trouble because of it. Not that I am advocating anything other than a careful review of CPC and Universiity of California policy as it pertains to the possession of knives on campus. I believe that Big Chris Custom Knives also offers regrinds.

Nor am I recommending you do anything other than follow the University of California bylaws, but I work on a college campus and if you're not a student, no one will care about your knives. I've had zero interactions with campus PD and have openly used a GEC #74 in my lab. I've seen multiple professors with SAK's as well. If you're a student, maybe be more discrete, but as faculty/staff I sincerely doubt any problems will be presented.

I just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone else finds this information useful and wonders what I did to my Emerson CQC-14. I looked into a regrind and went with Razor Edge Knives ( http://razoredgeknives.com/ ) as mentioned by adamlau. I am very happy with the results and I attached an image of the cqc14. I also got it sharpened with the wicked edge option so this thing is razor sharp, well worth the money IMO. I asked the folks at Razor Edge Knives to also keep the chisel grind because I prefer it to a V grind. I am really happy with the work they did and I think it looks awesome.

g6LJ2bW.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/gmqR0

My only fear is that UCLA changes their rules to make the allowed blade length less than 2.5 inches. If they do I'll be sending it back to RZK for another regrind lol!

Back