Why a Nessmuk?

My preferred Nessmuk style blade is the Scrap Yar MUK, I had my SY Muk few months ago, I used him a lot on outdoors, and time by time I was becoming a fan of this knife :surrender:

Probably you still know the origin of this kind of knife: G.W. Sears - aka Nessmuk - was a outdoorsman and a writer

who choose for his trips on the woods this trio of tools

so, the fixed blade choosen by Sears took the name of "Nessmuk", and this is the modern version of this knife, as per Scrap Yard Knives, the Muk:

you may find specs at the SY link
http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm
Let's start with any light jobs, in the kitchen

and now a few of batoning, fuzz-sticking, notching

this is my preferred way to wear my Muk, especially on winter

a good knife, handy and easy to use, IMHO great for camping and outdoors activities, with a reasonable cost

Thanks for reading! Ciao from Italy, Alfredo

Christof doesn't market it as a Nessy, but I consider it one all the same. This is his Mill's pattern skinner model. Patina formed after canning 120 lbs of tomatoes last year!

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

If I recall correctly, there was some speculation that Sears just sharpened a broken butcher knife to make the famous "Nessmuk" knife.

Ken, stop posting pictures of that Mills. Please.

on the subject of Nessies, what are the options for a "Moose" pattern folder to pair with it?

a little searching shows there's several from Case starting at about $50, and a few from Queen for about three times that price. any options i'm missing? i haven't been paying attention to slip joints other than SAKs for a while.

on the subject of Nessies, what are the options for a "Moose" pattern folder to pair with it?

a little searching shows there's several from Case starting at about $50, and a few from Queen for about three times that price. any options i'm missing? i haven't been paying attention to slip joints other than SAKs for a while.

Great Eastern Cutlery.

GEC, as previously mentioned. Case. Queen. Moore Maker. Don't know of any others, but you might try over in the Traditional Forum. Good folks over there, and if anyone on these forums knows where to find one, they hang out in there.

I had a Koster Nessie that was great in 3v. Worked several deer with it and it never got dull. The corner of the edge sat against my finger and that kinda irked me so I sold it.

They look good, are light on the belt, thin and sharp, fit the hand nicely with the curved handle, are great with food processing and passable at most other tasks.

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

Looks like a Lee Reeves hatchet. I have two of his double-edged models, one in Nessie configuration and the other a bit different (no pun intended).

DancesWithKnives

there seems to be something reassuring about using a classic design like a Nessmuk or Kephart. it'they are definitely not a "keeping up with the Jonses" knife, and i wouldn't hold my breath for a version of either from Busse.

Another Busse expert speaks..... :D

BussMuk.jpg

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Another Busse expert speaks..... :D

hmmm, well i was going to go back and edit that out after reading about the Scrapyard MUK, which if i'm reading their website correctly doesn't seem to be available anymore, even tho they list a price for it.

or is it "in production" but the ONLY knife they're listing for sale is the Scrapizashi. :rolleyes:

well, for that matter, Busse only seems to be offering the SCABS, CABS and LCABS on their site. i'm not kidding, their "complete catalog" consists of three models.

and i'm curious id they're still doing the asymmetrical edge like they were when they first introduced the BM, with one side convex and one side flat.

but the one you've posted a pic of is nice. much nicer than the molded on handle on the Scrapyard version.

I have found the unusual Nessmuk shape to be aesthetically pleasing ever since I discovered it reading Sears' book years ago. I finally got an SDS Nessmuk a couple of years ago. The knife's shape makes it excellent at slicing, making fuzz sticks, and preparing food (if I am being honest, this is most of what I do with knives). The broad, humpbacked blade is good for batoning and gripping near the tip for fine work. Shawn's version is pretty pointy too.

I don't have a Nessmuck. I mention this by way of disclaimer. I've got a little "Mini-Nessie" from Koyote and I really like it. For a while it was the knife I carried the most as an EDC.

500497998_BQLEH-L.jpg

It's the one without the red handle scales. :)

But for a design that is fairly well represented in this thread, it is interesting that in the Bushcraft Knife Challenge thread, none of the makers are submitting a Nessmuck-style knife. At least none of the makers who have revealed their intentions.

So if this knife is such a good design, why are the makers building something else for the contest? :confused: Is this really a fad knife? Or is it more of a hunter than a Bushcrafter?

Just askin'....

(And I do have a Nessmuck on order, so please, no one take any offense.)

Last edited:
So if this knife is such a good design, why are the makers building something else for the contest? :confused: Is this really a fad knife? Or is it more of a hunter than a Bushcrafter?

I think because of the task list is biased towards a lot of wood craft chores and carving where the Nessy is at a disadvantage because of its tall blade. Here, Nesmuk used his trapper blade to serve him, and the bushcrafter knife contest isn't testing dual knife efficiency...Albeit, a combo-contest in the future might make for a really interesting idea!!!

Back