Why does Victorinox continue to put that damn parcel hook on so many knives?

About the only time I have ever used mine was to untie knots in my kids shoes. Seems like kids can tie the weirdest & tightest knots ever.

I use mine quite a bit. I discovered that it's good at removing my camping coffee percolator from the fire, and I use it as a zipper pull for the tough zip closures on the jet engine covers at work. Especially when it's cold out and my fingers don't work.

This has happened to me, and I would have appreciated having the hook with me at the time.
[video=youtube_share;PVEZl-32iTE]http://youtu.be/PVEZl-32iTE[/video]

I heard it was added after a petition by MacGyver fans so the star could use it to escape burning buildings via zip line.....

:D

macgyver.jpeg

MacGyver cheats. He uses over a dozen different models of SAK depending on the situation he's in.

How many of us wanted an SAK after seeing MacGyver, only to discover that there are no models that include everything he uses?

The vent cover for my A/C uptake is secured with three little pinch hooks like this: ^.
I went to check the replacement size the other day, and the parcel hook (& this thread) immediately jumped to mind, LOL. Worked like a champ. What I've done previous is to jam a ballpoint pen into the triangle and pull, but the knife is much easier

I find the hook to be extremely useful when I'm in the field with my National Guard unit.

It's great at pulling up tent stakes (use it the most for that).

Perfect for pulling cammie net taut.

Perfect for pulling/carrying/adjusting concertina wire.

Hang the knife by the hook from the loop on the ceiling of your tent, you have a prety good field expedient clothes hanger for drying socks and what not.

It's good when raising an OE antenna, getting the lead lines taut (for you comm guys out there).

And a million and one other uses.

The parcel hook is the best tool to use when you have stuck zippers. I had to use it yesterday on a stuck backpack zipper. It worked like a charm! It doesn't slip the way pliers do and saves your fingers from getting torn up.

Well, this thread has made me like the parcel hook!

Now I'm just curious to see if it will hold my weight if I hang from it.
190 lbs...place your bets!

I agree it's got limited use. Probably used it twice or 3 ties this last year.
The actual reason they use it is a technical one... it is the only backside tool with mobile joint - meaning it is the only type of tool that can be placed opposite the scrissors.

I agree, the hook's potential benefits are innumerable, and only limited by one's imagination; small mind, little to no value.:cool:

Used them in Boy Scouts all the time growing up. They are perfect for grabbing a Dutch oven off the fire.

Back