Why not say its for defense?

I'm with dryflytrout: "I don't answer questions. Am I free to go now?" is an appropriate solution to any involuntary law enforcement contact. Some people prefer to say "My attorney advises me never to talk to police without him present."

It's my understanding that, here in Michigan, your intent is what really matters, and carrying a non firearm weapon for self defense purposes is a crime, so no, it's not a defensive weapon, it's an apple peeler or box opener, for self defense I carry a 1911, here's my CPL.

The way I look at it, it depends entirely on how you define the terms that are used. As far as I'm concerned, protecting yourself from harm is utilitarian work. Weeds are undesirable, saplings and undergrowth are undesirable, dangerous individuals and animals are undesirable. To me it's all the same application when need be.

It seems to me that the weapon aspect of an object, whether it is a knife or a stick, may be an additional charge related to another criminal incident. I work on a federal installation and it is at least possible that someone with an especially strong umbrella, such as the ones made for use as a baton, may become an illegal weapon once it is used as a weapon during a crime. When I am not at work, I carry a couple knives, a good flashlight, a mobile phone, pepper spray and a handgun. The last think I would consider using for defense is one of the knives, but, it is possible in close quarters where my handgun is not readily accessible. Still, at that point, things have not been going very well and the situation is dire.

Trust me just lie to the cops.

The cops want you to lie to them. They don't want to arrest a good citizen for nothing. I can tell by your question you probably aren't the guy they are looking for.
Well, am not sure about the answer to your question. But yeah, what you asked is right, why can't you tell the truth? Next time give a try;)

The way I understand it is that police have a right to ask you questions if you are stopped by them. In some places or some circumstances (IE:"routine" traffic stop) they don't need to have a reason. Some places or circumstances, they do. regardless, your answers should be kept to simple "yes" and "no" answers and if more is required, very short and simple explanations. Certain things you say can lead to an escalation in their suspicion and even your arrest. If you are arrested, that is when you refuse to answer anything more without a lawyer. Once they have arrested you and read you your rights, nothing you say can be used for you, only against you. Anything you may have said before you are placed under arrest and read your rights cannot be used against you in court except perhaps as an explanation of what lead the officer to arrest and charge you with a crime??

In short; be polite, be co-operative, be within the law, and don't help a cop to build a case against you out of nothing and arrest you!!

The way I understand it is that police have a right to ask you questions if you are stopped by them. In some places or some circumstances (IE:"routine" traffic stop) they don't need to have a reason. Some places or circumstances, they do. regardless, your answers should be kept to simple "yes" and "no" answers and if more is required, very short and simple explanations. Certain things you say can lead to an escalation in their suspicion and even your arrest. If you are arrested, that is when you refuse to answer anything more without a lawyer. Once they have arrested you and read you your rights, nothing you say can be used for you, only against you. Anything you may have said before you are placed under arrest and read your rights cannot be used against you in court except perhaps as an explanation of what lead the officer to arrest and charge you with a crime??

In short; be polite, be co-operative, be within the law, and don't help a cop to build a case against you out of nothing and arrest you!!
Basically the police have the some abilities as a regular citizen when it comes to talking with someone else. The police may ask anyone questions at any time. It's called a consensual contact. You have the right to decline to participate in a consensual conservation with an officer. Anything one may say during a consensual contact (IE before you are detained or arrested) may be used against you in court. If one continues to answer questions and the officer believes the person is beginning to incriminate themselves they will then read them their rights. "The reason for this is that if you are not arrested for committing a crime, you are not going to trial, so you don’t need to be warned that what you say can be used against you during trial." I borrowed the quoted sentence from a site explaining Miranda Rights. I couldn't come up with a better way to say it as clearly.
Being co-operative gives the police more information to work with. An attorney is better prepared to decide which information to offer to the police than almost any non attorney. As I explained earlier in this thread, even innocent statements can be viewed as incriminating in some circumstances. The best response to any question from the police is always "Am I being detained?". If you aren't detained, leave or refuse to answer additional questions without a lawyer present to represent you if you wish to continue what you were doing without being questioned further.

As another user here posted, I am also from Ohio. Here, I find the knife related laws a little comical.
I have a concealed carry permit...but it only applies to handguns. Open carry of knives is no issue. It is when they are concealed, that they could fall in to the deadly weapons category which is illegal, and also NOT ok just because of a CCW. So, if I say my Kershaw is for defense, and it's hidden in my pocket, well that's illegal. The Glock 45 next to it is just fine.

I’m with those who say know the laws and be in compliance. That’s a little tricky in my State, because there is, on one hand, State Law, but each municipality can set their own variances. If I was stopped, being in compliance, I would not hesitate to answer general questions without elaboration in a courteous manner. If I had to use my knife, or gun, to defend myself, I would seek council before submitting to any further questions, beyond stating that I had to defend myself.

Back