Why the crazy sheaths?

tueller

Basic Member
I see a lot of custom and production sheaths with attachments for second knives, cordage, fire starting tools, sharpeners, etc. It looks cool but i think its a bad idea. If you try to keep all your tools together in one carrying system, you run the risk of losing everything together instead of just one tool. What good is a back up knife if it gets lost with the primary knife. Imagine not only losing your knife in the woods but then realizing that you no longer have a fire steel. I like to spread my tools by putting them in different sheaths, pockets, packs, etc. Agree, disagree?

I agree to a point. My woods knives have ferro rod holders. These are pretty much back up to my main one though. You need redundancy and some of these sheaths help provide that.

If you try to keep all your tools together in one carrying system, you run the risk of losing everything together instead of just one tool.

True, but the more mass (size/weight) your carrying system has.. the more you are aware of it.. know that it is there (or not there) and the less likely you are to lose it.

Different strokes for different folks.

The fear of loosing everything together is silly though. Have you ever lost a backpack? Most people put a lot of stuff there and rarely lose it.

Some guys go out with a minimalist approach and everything they need is in that little pack on their knife. You can bet that they are not going to be so careless to loose it.

No matter how much I consolidated stuff I'd find more to put where everything used to be.

I disagree, but not entirely. Having things that are used together grouped together can be convenient. But really, I think it is just a matter of what each individual is comfortable with.

The fear of loosing everything together is silly though. Have you ever lost a backpack? Most people put a lot of stuff there and rarely lose it.

Some guys go out with a minimalist approach and everything they need is in that little pack on their knife. You can bet that they are not going to be so careless to loose it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I understand the theoretical question...but my entire adult life I've taken every opportunity to get out onto the trail or into the woods and I have never come close to losing my knife. Not losing my knife is among my highest priorities at all times. I do attach a ferro rod to some of my sheaths, but nothing else. I prefer not to have a bulky sheath set-up with a bunch of stuff attached to it, but I understand if you're hunting why you might attach your fire prep knife to your skinning knife sheath or whatever. For me, the way I carry my knives varies depending on the situation but other than extra precautions around water (like a lanyard, or a pack tether) the possibility of losing my knife is never part of the decision.

I agree. I want my sheath to hold my knife- not a bunch of extra crap. I don't need instant access to my fire making kit or a secondary knife. I don't even want any dangly lanyards or skulls obstructing my knife's handle. I want simple ESEE type sheath that the blade is secure and the audible "click" is a plus for me. Everything else goes in my pack.

It is all personal preference though.

I agree to a point. My woods knives have ferro rod holders. These are pretty much back up to my main one though. You need redundancy and some of these sheaths help provide that.

Yes, if you have doubles, that makes since.

I go back and forth on this. I'm concentrating on spending more time outdoors and figuring out what kind of setup works for me. I can see the appeal of a compact kit set up on your sheath, no muss no fuss, strap it on and good to go, but I don't think I would want to rely on it entirely, so it would likely be a redundant system. And then we get into the question of if the redundancy is actually worth the extra weight and bulk.

I agree with OP - very little on a sheath for me. Just a secure way to hold a knife. I am not opposed to a little pocket for a sharpening stone. I don't really like big bulky contraptions hanging on my belt, but admittedly it is personal preference. To each their own.

Yes, I have gone a night without my pack because it got dark and I couldn't find it. I was glad I had a belt knife and a lighter in my pocket. Of course ideally no one would lose anything but stuff happens.

Yes, I have gone a night without my pack because it got dark and I couldn't find it. I was glad I had a belt knife and a lighter in my pocket. Of course ideally no one would lose anything but stuff happens.

I find this shocking. Was alcohol involved?

Sorry, I just cannot imagine having a light source (lighter) and not being able to find your gear. Utterly unimaginable.

Hah. No can't blame booze for that one. Just a tacticool black pack and spreading my gear too far. Wasn't a big deal cuz I knew I would find it in the am.

But regardless I can't see why you think losing gear is such a long shot. I have dumped canoes, been in blizzard conditions where snow can hide something in seconds, forgot stuff in cars/cabins, thought someone else was carrying something and learned they weren't, etc. I am sure there are hundreds of examples of how accidents happen and you wouldn't want gear all in one place. It's like investing all your money in one stock... Not a good idea.

It is strange to me that the thought of losing gear is so outrageous to u.

Fair enough. The trivialization of putting critical gear down and losing it is strange to me. I hold certain priorities with critical gear...and in many years, it simply has not happened.

If you can lose your entire pack in a snow storm, I guess you can lose everything...so I suppose this would be all the more reason to have a small survival pack on your sheath that you will NOT be taking off and leaving somewhere to get buried/lost/dumped/doused/whatever. If it is strapped to your waist, it is pretty much going to be there...in my whole life, I have never lost of ever heard of someone loosing something threaded onto their belt.

Not everyone is the same, and not every place is the same. We are all different, and we need to be cognizant of that. You say crazy, he says "absolutely sane".

You cannot imagine NOT considering losing things, I cannot imagine losing critical gear....

You are asking "Why the crazy sheaths?" Perhaps you should be asking, "Why don't I have one?"

Survival fantasy. Carrying way too much gear than will likely ever be needed.

Fair enough. The trivialization of putting critical gear down and losing it is strange to me. I hold certain priorities with critical gear...and in many years, it simply has not happened.

If you can lose your entire pack in a snow storm, I guess you can lose everything...so I suppose this would be all the more reason to have a small survival pack on your sheath that you will NOT be taking off and leaving somewhere to get buried/lost/dumped/doused/whatever. If it is strapped to your waist, it is pretty much going to be there...in my whole life, I have never lost of ever heard of someone loosing something threaded onto their belt.

Not everyone is the same, and not every place is the same. We are all different, and we need to be cognizant of that. You say crazy, he says "absolutely sane".

You cannot imagine NOT considering losing things, I cannot imagine losing critical gear....

You are asking "Why the crazy sheaths?" Perhaps you should be asking, "Why don't I have one?"

Well said. I've lost a thing or two in the woods. Even lost a fixed blade or two in a leather sheath chasing down wounded hogs in the brush. I've NEVER lost a sheath threaded onto my heavy leather or nylon belt in any conditions, including mountains, rivers, lakes, etc. and never lost a knife from one of my kydex sheaths.

If I lost my pack or anything else, I have enough minimal survival gear on my sheath to get through most situations, namely a big fixed blade and fire making ability. I sometimes carry other minimalist items in the pouch. In my pack, I have the primary tools, but keep the secondary items on my sheath most times when in the field. Seems like smart planning to me.
2ngs8oz.jpg
[/IMG]
2aj6kia.jpg
[/IMG]
fwiqg0.jpg
[/IMG]
15xmu6a.jpg
[/IMG]

Back