Why the crazy sheaths?

I too must admit that "back in the day" [goes back 25+ years now], that all we carried in "the field" was a small canvas, Boy Scout backpack [probably 10-15 L?] that was more like a haversack with dual straps. The Haversack - currently being called the "man-purse"...from the former description "satchel" or "messenger bag"....from guess what it was called pre-1900-ish?....a haversack.......lol.......

My knife, which I still have, was an antler-handled skinner that was given to me by my uncle [Mom's brother], almost identical to this one:
320870095249.jpg

He made the sheath, which was a plain one like pictured 6 posts up. Then again, we carried a small-to-medium axe, and a lot of other firemaking stuff like harronek described above.

Today we have available to us, smaller/lighter and easier ways of doing things than the "common" man had 25+ years ago. If we can combine a few of those items into one package, the better it is for some of us. Not everyone likes the "monster sheaths" and that's cool. I love them for what they are intended for - keeping things together that will not leave my body for __x__ duration.

Last edited:
This is the knife I carried everyday when I was culling .
I realize that this is the oldest sheath of my own that I have .
This was made nearly thirty years ago .
Its handle has alot of Blood , Sweat and Tears embedded in it :)

Ken

Druid, is that a Schrade knife? I did a sheath for a guy with a knife that looked similar. He sent the original sheath and it also looked very similar, although his was far more worn out.

This is the knife I carried everyday when I was culling .
I realize that this is the oldest sheath of my own that I have .
This was made nearly thirty years ago .
Its handle has alot of Blood , Sweat and Tears embedded in it :)

Ken

The tears of the animals you slayed??! :D

That is a super cool knife, what's the handle made from? Looks Canadian belt knife-ish.

The knife is a very early Svord from New Zealand , they put these ones out in a kit that you finished yourself , I couldn't afford a completed one .
The handle is wood scales under the outer wrap of knotted, woven sail thread .
My father was at Sea for many years where he learnt the art of knot tying . In later life he became a member of the international Knot Tyers Guild .
In the pictures you can see his working knife that I inherited and mine , I didn't have the patience or experience at 18 to match his work , and the knots aren't as tight or as consistent .
This technique of covering the handles of knives goes back a very long time in the world or Seafaring . It provides a very non slip effect that is good in all weathers and temperatures .
It is surprisingly tough and will handle alot of abuse , all we ever did to them was rub wax over them every once in a while .

Ken

Druid, is that a Schrade knife? I did a sheath for a guy with a knife that looked similar. He sent the original sheath and it also looked very similar, although his was far more worn out.

You made me go and dig it out, damn you - LOL.....

Nope, not a Schrade. Mine says:

Driver's side:
the number "496" stamped into the steel just forward of the brass finger guard.

Passenger side:
Etched onto the blade it says "Original Buffalo Skinner" in English script.
Stamped into the steel just forward of the brass finger guard it says -
Line 1. EDGEBRAND
Line 2. SOLINGEN
Line 3. GERMANY

...and is exactly like this one:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11319001

If I can figure out how to get pics from my phone to the laptop, I'll post it.

Last edited:
figured it out. Here it is, sorry - my phone is crap:

1425703839559_zpsa1wmmp73.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1425703968428_zps3xw152wj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1425703903661_zpsin7ezhbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1425703985884_zpslkgso97y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I understand the idea of having "groupings" of items on a sheath. But I also totally have experienced the situation where things can be lost. Several times this has happened.

1:30 AM in the bush in west central Ontario. Helping a friend search for a moose that he had hit with his pickup and had received a permit to harvest. The black flies and mosquitos were so thick that you breathed them in, and it was pitch black. The pack was dark colored, and the flashlights not the best.... Set a knife and pack down in the dark, and then follow the blood trail further and try to go back and find it.... Yes, there was some hasty actions, and yes we should have marked the pack site, but it was hot and the conditions bad, and stress levels were high with bears in the area already.

Same basic geographic location, and 25 below zero in Mid February, and the snow was coming down, and the snow machine was stuck in a wet spot on the river in deep snow. You work up a sweat hiking in deep snow so the decision is made to leave the bulk of the pack behind. Eventually finding the road, and staring afire with items left for that purpose in the vehicle... Then going back and recovering things left behind... The end result could have been a lot different. Because I did not carry a fire starter, and a knife as a backup under my parka. I was still a teenager, and very inexperienced in bushcraft and survival. It could have cost my life.

Hunting in South Dakota near the badlands... Hiking down a steep incline, and falling and sliding... Again the pack had been set down earlier (and marked this time) a mile away to be picked up on the return pass.... The hunt ended up being a lot longer hike then expected.) Falling and sliding down an embankment ... In pain and bruised up... Forgetting to check if my knife is still in sheath. Much later after returning to pack and resting I discover I have lost some things.

It happens. Yes, in each case poor decisions were made. But its the real world, and stress, pain, and exhaustion do factor in. These things have taught me to be very careful in planning, equipment choices prior to purchase and trips, and to think more clearly when this type of thing happens to me or another companion...

Druid, is that a Schrade knife? I did a sheath for a guy with a knife that looked similar. He sent the original sheath and it also looked very similar, although his was far more worn out. .....The tears of the animals you slayed??!.......That is a super cool knife........

I believe you might be thinking of a Schrade Deerslayer, daddy to the Sharpfinger.

I have a Schrade-Walden Deerslayer from the '60's that is my favorite hunter blade. On a Deerslayer the thumb rise is actually a baton anvil and the upsweep of the blade a click less severe; it's FFG too. The sheath is like that one, but has grommets rather than rivets and is leather laced rather than stitched. The edge line of the sheath is lined internally with an inert guard and I think the belt loop is the sheath backer continuation folded over behind itself.

I was just about to post how similar that knife is to a 'Slayer when I read your post.

The knife is a very early Svord from New Zealand , they put these ones out in a kit that you finished yourself , I couldn't afford a completed one .
My father was at Sea for many years where he learnt the art of knot tying . In later life he became a member of the international Knot Tyers Guild

That is several sacks of cool and unique. What a talent and what a knife. Thanks for posting those pics.

My father was at Sea for many years where he learnt the art of knot tying . In later life he became a member of the international Knot Tyers Guild .
In the pictures you can see his working knife that I inherited and mine , I didn't have the patience or experience at 18 to match his work , and the knots aren't as tight or as consistent .
This technique of covering the handles of knives goes back a very long time in the world or Seafaring . It provides a very non slip effect that is good in all weathers and temperatures .
It is surprisingly tough and will handle alot of abuse , all we ever did to them was rub wax over them every once in a while .

Ken

Ken, I think that's really nice that you extended your father's experience into that knife. The very best knives are the ones with history, and making your own handle just adds to it. :)

----------

Druid, sorry to make you work, but appreciate it my friend. :D

So it's Solingen, is it stainless? Almost a scandi grind on a skinner. Cool.

I believe you might be thinking of a Schrade Deerslayer, daddy to the Sharpfinger.

I have a Schrade-Walden Deerslayer from the '60's that is my favorite hunter blade. On a Deerslayer the thumb rise is actually a baton anvil and the upsweep of the blade a click less severe; it's FFG too. The sheath is like that one, but has grommets rather than rivets and is leather laced rather than stitched. The edge line of the sheath is lined internally with an inert guard and I think the belt loop is the sheath backer continuation folded over behind itself.

I was just about to post how similar that knife is to a 'Slayer when I read your post.

Sounds likely, although the sheath sounds much different, but that probably isn't abnormal if they made them for any length of time.

I *really* need to take more pics. I've kicked myself several times for shipping off a knife and sheath before taking a single pic. :(

Druid, sorry to make you work, but appreciate it my friend. :D

So it's Solingen, is it stainless? Almost a scandi grind on a skinner. Cool.

Yes, it's a scandi-ish grind and it's actually carbon steel. It does rust if not kept up on and has a lot of 'flex'...a lot more than stainless would have at this thickness.

To add my 1 cent, I see the value of a sheath and pouch set-up. I've got an ESEE Laser Strike with their MOLLE backer and pouch. The pouch has some basics, like fire starting gear. I doesn't add much bulk, but is another option for carrying repetitive gear. Why not have a small lighter, tender, and ferro rod on your sheath as well as in your pocket or pack? It also adds a "grab-n-go" option. I like that option for a truck knife. An emergency happens, you grab something quick and move...

Survival fantasy. Carrying way too much gear than will likely ever be needed.

:rolleyes:
A lady just died on Mt. Washington on the East coast because she carried "just enough" gear for her intended hike, and the weather turned.

I don't carry 20 extra pounds of gear, but I damned well make sure I'm prepped as I can be for breaking a leg, freak weather, etc. Fire starting ability is paramount, though I usually solve that by carrying 6 or so mini-Bic lighters spread out in my gear as well as a magnesium block/flint zipper pull, and probably a knife with a firesteel.

Ultralight camping is for heavily traveled on-trail areas in prime weather.

Anyone who goes out by themselves, especially off-trail in wilderness areas is stupid if they don't carry more than they need. Nature doesn't care about you, and can kill you with total indifference if you haven't taken some "survival fantasy" precautions.

I did break my leg at work one day. Thank God it was only my fibula. But, had it not been for my walking cane, which I always took on trails, and a khukuri machete, I'd have been in rough(er) shape. That 15 minute walk turned into an multi-hour ordeal. Without the cane I would've just had to wait until a search team found me. And it would've probably been 10 hours before they even got concerned. I could've easily spent the night in that canyon. That's not the only time I thought I was going to spend an unexpected night outdoors. I try to be prepared now.

Just a word of caution, use your wording carefully. Talk about the subject not another member.

Even though I know its not intended, quoting a post and then using the word stupid in the text of your reply could be construed as a slight against the person quoted and cause undue drama. Its happened countless times, so please be aware.

Its a good point of discussion, but very polarizing. I dont want to cut it off before its explored properly.

:rolleyes:
A lady just died on Mt. Washington on the East coast because she carried "just enough" gear for her intended hike, and the weather turned.

I don't carry 20 extra pounds of gear, but I damned well make sure I'm prepped as I can be for breaking a leg, freak weather, etc. Fire starting ability is paramount, though I usually solve that by carrying 6 or so mini-Bic lighters spread out in my gear as well as a magnesium block/flint zipper pull, and probably a knife with a firesteel.

Ultralight camping is for heavily traveled on-trail areas in prime weather.

Anyone who goes out by themselves, especially off-trail in wilderness areas is stupid if they don't carry more than they need. Nature doesn't care about you, and can kill you with total indifference if you haven't taken some "survival fantasy" precautions.

You must be speaking about this well-versed woods-woman: http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

In part the article says:
A Manhattan woman died while hiking alone in the subzero temperatures and 100-mph winds of the New Hampshire mountains.
Kate Matrosova, 32, was found dead on Monday, apparently from exposure, a day after she went missing in the White Mountains.
Matrosova, who was born in Siberia, was found between Mount Madison and Mount Adams, in a series of summits called the Presidential Range.

Her death was an absolute tragedy and a debate for her ultimate [and avoidable] demise should be reserved for another thread [I'd guess]....but it basically shows a very capable woman, who does this all the time could not sustain in the elements.

@ leatherman.....I don't think he [bitfiend] was attacking anyone here...at least, that's not how I read his commentary. I think he's using her death as a focal point of not carrying 'basic' survival gear...to carry more than you need for those unexpected 'needs.'

The "crazy sheaths" keep some small items on your person at all times. Whatever those items are is up to the user. I also carry a "drop pouch" on my weak side with additional items now...because like I said in previous writings, losing your gear in a simple 'mishap' can be dangerous, even devastating.

Survival fantasy. Carrying way too much gear than will likely ever be needed.

I suppose that we all form our views from personal experience, or you would hope so anyway. I like to have a self contained fire kit on/with my knife sheath. I have been to isolated locations, very isolated. And I came within a hair of spending a lost night in the Boreal forest years back. My clothes were ripped, I was exhausted, I was drinking bog water were I filtered out the back swimmers, yada, yada. My experiences weren't fantasies, and they taught me some stinging lessons. But to each their own.

This rig is working for me on the farm. BK-15, SOG Paratool for quick fixes and so I don't have to lug too many tools, a Maglite Solitaire when I am out in the dark for a quick poke around, and a Buck sharpener if blades need a touch up. It's a quick grab-bag of tools that stays together and keeps me productive. If I had to hit the trail, I would have fire kit and cordage elsewhere. And my BOB has most of what I'd need anywhere.

Changes since this pic: Removed the upper keeper on the sheath, dropped the lanyard from the knife, dropped the carabiner from the sheath, added small clips to light and Paratool for easy retrieval.

Not sure this qualifies as crazy. It's a work kit right now and I can see bringing it on my next outdoors venture.

Zieg

IMG_20150325_090454.jpg

Why not the crazy sheaths.
I carry a scandi knife With a plain leather/Wood sheath myself.
But if someone want to carry a Chain saw strapped to their hip it is up to them. To each their own

Back