Why the dislike for Lansky sharpener system?

I have a Lansky 3-stone sharpening system that I've had for years. I buy replacement stones when needed, and added two additional finer stones and the strop. Some say the angle isn't consistent, but it works and works well at giving a super sharp edge to my blades.

I recently use it on my Schrade Sharpfinger (USA made) and brought the edge to a very keen 25 degree edge. With a touch of Semichrom on the strop, the edge is as near mirror finish as I'm willing to go. Another few minutes would have made it better, but this is where I decided to stop.

I have never had a complaint about this system, and have used it for many, many years.

photo uploadingcertificity.com

I'm not familiar with much dislike of the Lansky. I, like you, started using it many years ago. It is how I achieved my first "truly sharp" edges. But over the years I have used other sharpening systems with much better results. Now I use my own home built system which is a "better" Edge Pro copy. And I use Shapton and bonded diamond stones mostly.

There is nothing wrong with the Lansky. There are simply better options now. I will say that available stones are 75% of what put other systems ahead. Lansky stone options are limited. And as far as the small economic sharpener systems, I prefer the DMT Aligner. Had better results for me.

i like the lansky - i started with the 5 stone kit, added the 2000 grit and strop, and will probably add more strops and diamond stones at some point.
its fairly portable, and even as a beginner I was able to get decent edges, which have only gotten better with more use.

there is some play in the system, but I think its not so bad that you can't work with it.

there are definitely other systsems that allow for more stone options, and greater angle range or adjustability, but the costs are 2, 3, or more times that of a lansky - and atleast at the present, the cost is more than I'm willing to throw at it just yet

Lansky is the first sharpener system I've used 30 years ago and it's more than ok for beginner or people with limited budget.
Sometimes the stones could be slightly warped but you can fix it with SiC powder.
Nowadays I got Edge Pro because virtually I can use any stone I'd like to.

I think the Lansky is a great system. To make it even better I used the DMT guide stone holder with the Lansky clamp. It works great and I prefer the DMT stones over the Lansky.

The lansky is not terrible. its not great tho. you can get better and faster results with other systems. otherwise nothing wrong with it per say. there are always pro's and con's to each system. the lansky just has more con's over other systems with more pro's to them. ultimately you can get a similar result in that the knife will be sharp, in the end.

I've always gotten great results with the Lansky, to be honest. I may in time upgrade, but I don't see that happening for a number of years.

The lansky is what led me to the wicked edge. I had a problem with the sloppiness in the graduated rod holders and then the rods themselves would flex. Like someone else mentioned, I did get better results with it than I could trying to sharpen by hand. So there is some good to it. Oh, and with the lansky system you cannot match stock bevels on a knife with the included hard set angles. I knew that if I wanted to use the lansky I would be replacing the bevel on my knife, I didn't always want to have to do that, not to mention the amount of work that it requires.

Since most of the work I do with it is to older pocket knives with 1095 steel blades, it's perfect for what I need it for. I'm sure that if I were to do longer blades or more exotic metals more often, that I would need something better. But, for what I do, it's all I need.

While I can sharpen using a diamond plate or stone I seem to get better consistent bevels using a Lansky. I have the 4 stone set and a course and extra course rod as well. The extra course is handy for changing the bevel. Everyone raves about VG10 steel but I seen to have a problem getting that steel sharp so out comes the Lansky and I am back in business.

Back