• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why the lack of shipping outside US?

I and about 20,000 other Americans working for the US Government have the same issues. While technically my address is US and the postage is US but people have to fill out a customs form to ship
APO addresses are no problem to me although at one time I was totally unfamiliar with the process and a little unsure. I am happy to go through any little hassle there may be for those serving my country.
They have been some of my nicest buyers & shipping cost were either the same or possibly less then regular domestic.

I feel your pain, I am in the same boat living in Spain. So far I have bought a few knives on the exchange and never had any issue, always paying through pay pal. Not long ago I asked the same thing and got the same answers. Lot's of chances for something to go wrong when shipping outside the US.

Switzerland is a knife friendly place with one of the best postal services around. I wish more people would be willing to ship here.

I understand filling a customs form is a hassle for some, but a lot of y'all have missed out on a lot of my money!

Switzerland is a knife friendly place with one of the best postal services around. I wish more people would be willing to ship here.

I understand filling a customs form is a hassle for some, but a lot of y'all have missed out on a lot of my money!

Haha. True ;)

I wont ship overseas because usually one of these issues arise.

1. The seller wants me to include free priority shipping to their country. Usually $50 As soon as you tell them they have to add shipping to get the knife they bail.
2. They want me to lie about the value of the product and send it with no insurance so that it will hopefully squeak past customs unflagged. This prevents me from insuring it to the full value and I am totally out if its lost or stolen.
3. The buyer as soon as receiving the knife makes a claim with paypal even if its perfect to negotiate a better price after the fact.
4. If there is a problem and the buyer wants to return its a hassle due to the extra return shipping cost (which they usually claim they shouldn't have to pay) and time lost waiting to receive the knife back. Within the USA at most I'm out $7 and 3 days. Not $25-$50 and 1-4 weeks.

Same as many others: it's easy for you to know knife laws, customs laws, etc. for your country, but it's not so easy for me to know them for all countries. PayPal Goods is heavily in the buyer's favor and hard to track shipping. Takes too long for you to receive the knife and for deal to be considered closed. Even then I don't trust the 6 month PayPal window. And what if you don't like it, there is some small mark it scuff and you want to send it back? Now I'm eating that cost?

Often buyers say they accept all risk but I've been advised PayPal doesn't accept that, even if the buyer accepts in writing and seen at least one thread with a member commenting in this very thread where they filed a claim anyway and won. So maybe there is PayPal friends but asking to do that is a violation of their terms, and if we are speaking via email you have a record of this to send to PayPal if you wanted to be a jerk. And on principle I don't agree with using it for a business transaction.

Buyers also say they will accept shipping cost. So how does this work? You say you'll take it, then I package my product, take it to the PO to figure the cost, then I message you back: you don't like the price of shipping and back out. Or you don't reply back to me fast enough so I then have to make a return trip to the PO once I hear back from you? With a US Buyer I have the agreed price within a few hours before I ever leave the house.

This hits it on the HEAD:

1. The seller wants me to include free priority shipping to their country. Usually $50 As soon as you tell them they have to add shipping to get the knife they bail.
2. They want me to lie about the value of the product and send it with no insurance so that it will hopefully squeak past customs unflagged. This prevents me from insuring it to the full value and I am totally out if its lost or stolen.
3. The buyer as soon as receiving the knife makes a claim with paypal even if its perfect to negotiate a better price after the fact.
4. If there is a problem and the buyer wants to return its a hassle due to the extra return shipping cost (which they usually claim they shouldn't have to pay) and time lost waiting to receive the knife back. Within the USA at most I'm out $7 and 3 days. Not $25-$50 and 1-4 weeks.
============================================================================

Some feel the hassle just isnt worth it..
I have done it for buddies that I have dealt with
because they are very aware of the terms.
People I have not dealt with Not a chance..

This ? comes up all the time and the answers are always the same.
The better ? by the international buyer might be to ask their fellow international buyers-What is the best way to work through this maze of problems, so you can buy the knives you desire?
The problems exist. There is little financial incentive to the US seller, since most of the buyers are US anyway and the sales will get done.
The international buyer is not on a level playing field and needs to adjust that as best they can. No doubt it sucks, but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
This ? comes up all the time and the answers are always the same.
The better ? by the international buyer might be to ask their fellow international buyers-What is the best way to work through this maze of problems, so you can buy the knives you desire?
The problems exist. There is little financial incentive to the US seller, since most of the buyers are US anyway and the sales will get done.
The international buyer is not on a level playing field and needs to adjust that as best they can. No doubt it sucks, but that's the way it is.

There is always little financial incentive in a "hobby", unless it is a business. International or not. ;-)

There is always little financial incentive in a "hobby", unless it is a business. International or not. ;-)
I wasn't referring to a profit, but I actually should have said there is a negative financial incentive. We are trying to get back some of the money we have in our knife even if it is less then what we paid. With an international sale I work harder to get that back and have a higher risk of loosing all. That doesn't make for the best choice.
Since this is a hobby rather then a business allowances can be made if the international buyer can narrow the difference between the international and domestic transaction.
The registered mail is a great idea, and knowing what the cost to do so will be.
US address seems to work also
Knowing their countries laws and not trying to sneak things in that will be confiscated
Not asking sellers to lie on forms
to name a few

Last edited:

^ You summed this up perfectly, Keith! :thumbsup:

With an international sale I work harder to get that back and have a higher risk of loosing all. That doesn't make for the best choice.
Since this is a hobby rather then a business allowances can be made if the international buyer can narrow the difference between the international and domestic transaction.
The registered mail is a great idea, and knowing what the cost to do will be.
US address seems to work also
Knowing their countries laws and not trying to sneak things in that will be confiscated
Not asking sellers to lie on forms

^ :thumbsup:

Back