Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another with Red Linen Micarta. You'll have to forgive the imperfections where I had to try and cover the shield.

0FCA01CB-94AA-42ED-9717-EEC3E100A588.jpg

I definitely prefer the darker brown natural way more then the honey colored one.

I have a bunch of GEC's done in natural canvas micarta. It seems there have been two distinct shades that have been used. One is a dark brown, and the other is of a more honey colored variety. I love them both. I can take pictures of a few others, if people like. I have a #15 navy knife and a fixed blade as well, just off the top of my head.

NhVgrmrh.jpg

Hhav380h.jpg

Alright, I think this will be the last one, so I'm going to put them all together here in one post.

Natural Canvas Micarta:

7E00B73D-2928-49CD-83FF-E1CA08B140E3.jpg

Bone Canvas Micarta:

E5FABFAC-499D-4117-8C46-6838EB0E1E0E.jpg

OD Green Linen Micarta:

1891442F-10CA-4CED-8784-CE9EA4C1014E.jpg

Red Linen Micarta:

A couple notes:

If the Bone Canvas Micarta happens to be an option, I think most of the #77s that came out with that material did not have the black marks shown on mine, and so they were lighter in color and cleaner looking. That said, mine did come from the factory looking like that, so there would be the possibility of those variations in that handle material (similar to the dark marks seen on some of the Muslin Micarta #13s).

I'm assuming these will be steel liners/pins, so the brass pins on the Red Linen Micarta mock-up are probably incorrect.

I think of the possible handle materials Charlie mentioned, I'm missing two: the OD Green Canvas Micarta and Black Linen Micarta. I couldn't find any photos of those materials on patterns that could easily be juxtaposed over the photo I've been working with (I used various #15s, #77s, #14s and #25s for these), but the OD Canvas should be similar to the Natural Canvas but, of course, the color of the OD Linen, and the Black Linen would look pretty similar to the OD Linen (on any patterns where I've seen both the OD and Black, the colors are pretty similar).

Alright, I think this will be the last one, so I'm going to put them all together here in one post.

Natural Canvas Micarta:

7E00B73D-2928-49CD-83FF-E1CA08B140E3.jpg

Bone Canvas Micarta:

E5FABFAC-499D-4117-8C46-6838EB0E1E0E.jpg

OD Green Linen Micarta:

Red Linen Micarta:

A couple notes:

If the Bone Canvas Micarta happens to be an option, I think most of the #77s that came out with that material did not have the black marks shown on mine, and so they were lighter in color and cleaner looking. That said, mine did come from the factory looking like that, so there would be the possibility of those variations in that handle material (similar to the dark marks seen on some of the Muslin Micarta #13s).

I'm assuming these will be steel liners/pins, so the brass pins on the Red Linen Micarta mock-up are probably incorrect.

I think of the possible handle materials Charlie mentioned, I'm missing two: the OD Green Canvas Micarta and Black Linen Micarta. I couldn't find any photos of those materials on patterns that could easily be juxtaposed over the photo I've been working with (I used various #15s, #77s, #14s and #25s for these), but the OD Canvas should be similar to the Natural Canvas but, of course, the color of the OD Linen, and the Black Linen would look pretty similar to the OD Linen (on any patterns where I've seen both the OD and Black, the colors are pretty similar).

Wow. I need to thank you for doing this, and am very impressed with how these turned out. These confirmed my feelings regarding one material, and surprised me with another for better or worse.

Thanks again!

I´ve missed the last years knife completelly. Well... my own fault. But now I see for 2017 a GEC #13 TC Barlow with Micarta handles? What are you thinking?

I mean, that´s great in any case. I gonna get one or event two of them!

Canvas micarta, preferably natural canvas micarta would be a great piece of cutlery!

I´d definitelly be in for at least one of these babys!

I have a bunch of GEC's done in natural canvas micarta. It seems there have been two distinct shades that have been used. One is a dark brown, and the other is of a more honey colored variety. I love them both. I can take pictures of a few others, if people like. I have a #15 navy knife and a fixed blade as well, just off the top of my head.

NhVgrmrh.jpg

Hhav380h.jpg

I think the honey colored natural canvas looks better than its darker counterpart.

Agreed the honey one is a real looker. The darker one is not bad, but not as beautiful as the honey one.

Thanks Barrett!! You are a true BF hero!!:D

I hope your pics, and a little imagination, will let everyone make an informed choice!

waynorth waynorth , I all-but-created a poll as a new thread for handle choices (unobtanium, meteor fossil, jigged cardboard...) as a test. Didn't hit publish to avoid confusion, but it seemed like I could make it work. Happy to help out if you like.
Thanks coffeemike! Perhaps I can call on you soon!?!?

I started off with a preference for the OD canvas, but the more I see, the more I like the natural canvas, especially in the honey shade. The OD would be a fine second choice.

OD Green Linen Micarta:

Red Linen Micarta:

I'm missing two: the OD Green Canvas Micarta and Black Linen Micarta.

Based on what I have seen, I would prefer linen Micarta.
Black Linen Micarta would ring chimes for me. But Red Linen Micarta would also be very awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back