1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by tomsch, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I'm fine with any of the suggested colors & materials.

2. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    All those look great... it's been fun watching this thread's progress.

3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Bark River Pro-Scalpel.

4. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Has anyone mentioned the Burlap Micarta as seen on the recent Northwoods Hawthorne jacks? These just came out with the recent 48's and I think this is the first time GEC has used it. It has more depth and character within the resin than anything other Micarta I have seen from GEC. Also it looks very compatible with a traditional knife.

If you haven't seen it, check out page 815 of the "What are you carrying today" thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ya-totin-today.547127/page-4815#post-17096603

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    Ohio-ZT-fan likes this.
  5. olywa

olywa Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I'm kinda conflicted. I generally prefer canvas to linen but I'm a sucker for red. Sure would like to see a red canvas micarta but don't believe I ever have.

meako likes this.
  6. Macchina

Macchina Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I agree. If we go with a bright color, linen is good. If it's a natural or muted color, then a bold texture is preferable.

7. Butch

Butch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Thank You.

8. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I believe that KSF supplied that particular burlap to GEC for use. I don't believe it was from GEC stock.

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Red linen micarta can look very nice. Here is a SAK that I redid in red linen micarta, many moons ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JSutter, neal70, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  10. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Maybe Charlie would be willing to ask KSF for another batch? It would make the forum knife a little more unique compared to the "off-the-shelf" GEC micartas. Below is an excellent picture that shows some of the depth that is possible with micarta.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM
  11. tstaut

tstaut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

Bone micarta without the dark spots for reference

neal70, Taike, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  12. Ocarr

Ocarr Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Just thinking out loud, but black or antique white paper micarta would look good as well.

neal70 likes this.
  13. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Those all look good!! I am going to be checking in frequently in search of the poll:)

14. Shaggy

Shaggy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Are the handle materials being offered based on what GEC has in stock currently? In the past, GEC has used both black canvas micarta and maroon linen micarta, both of which are very nice IMO.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  15. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks. That is, indeed, what most of them, except mine, looked like. :D

16. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I don't think we want "off the shelf" do we?
    I know I'd prefer something original which pretty much rules out paper micarta-that and the fact it looks like off white plastic and is a bit boring.
    Black micarta has been done by GEC too.
    I'm liking red and canvas micarta-a classy dark red .

17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Just want to remark, that the Bone Micarta as seen on NF Barlows and more recently, the 13 run as Muslin Micarta could be an 'acquired taste' some people did not like the black spots and marks that this material will pick up on finishing. Others though it fine but it seemed divisive.

[​IMG]

I liked it but it is a material that will soak up stuff and develop character. The Collector Minded might not care for it much though....

Thanks, Will

neal70, sitflyer and Taike like this.
  18. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Well I gotta say that is spectacular burlap.... just sayin....

19. kysteve

kysteve Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2015
    the thing i have trouble with is,i use my knives and just sweating turns the natural micarta a dark color thats not appealing,i got an 85 awhile back in natural and it turned really quick,sent it to a highly recomended modder on the service page,he recomended mammouth after paying for that ,then he sent a bill,after paying him for his services,i got the knife back,the cracks in the mammouth around the pins looked bad enough,but the blade play was another story,any way i have had some bad dealings with natural micarta,as far as the knife i have a badman fixing the problems.

neal70 likes this.
  20. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Now, that is COOL!