Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggested this before but wasn't sure it existed. Here I present Navy Burlap Micarta;

Just something different that has not been on any other of Charlie's SFO's.

I really like the look of the burlap micarta. It is too bad that it isn't on the slate, but I understand that it would raise the price. And I like the practice of trying to keep the forum knife affordable. It is good to bear in mind that not everyone can stretch for a bigger ticket knife.

But that navy burlap is nice.

Of course if we are just sharing fantasy materials, the micarta that I dream of one day having on a knife is Kevlar Micarta. I think it is just so cool looking. Wouldn't that be handsome on a scout pattern forum knife? ;)

image_zpscccf925a.jpg

The Buck 301 BCCI with BG42 came with Ivory Paper Micarta and black liners...I'd love to see something like a natural canvas or burlap micarta w/ blue or red liners on the TC Barlow :):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe Charlie would be willing to ask KSF for another batch? It would make the forum knife a little more unique compared to the "off-the-shelf" GEC micartas. Below is an excellent picture that shows some of the depth that is possible with micarta.

33296811443_e388f61245_c_zps0iffc0h1.jpg

I believe you're looking at yet another fantastic cover material from Shadetree Custom Composites here (purchased by KSF for their Northwoods run, but not actually their material). Shadetree produces extraordinarily creative materials, but their offerings are outliers when it comes to GEC (so far) and the intentionally-streamlined processes Charlie is attempting to establish for a next forum knife.

Based on what I have seen, I would prefer linen Micarta.
Black Linen Micarta would ring chimes for me. But Red Linen Micarta would also be very awesome.

I don't think we want "off the shelf" do we?
I know I'd prefer something original which pretty much rules out paper micarta-that and the fact it looks like off white plastic and is a bit boring.
Black micarta has been done by GEC too.
I'm liking red and canvas micarta-a classy dark red .

... Just as long as we actually get linen or canvas micarta this time, whichever is chosen. :eek:

White linen micarta was chosen for the '13 Congress Jack, yet the knives were produced with white paper micarta. Similarly, a knife from a subsequent Beer Scout run was stated as having linen micarta, yet it, too, arrived with paper micarta.

IMG_1144.jpg~original

Paper micarta has its place, but it does look and feel more like 'plastic' than the other choices. And is, of course, not linen!

So Charlie, when the time comes you may want to belabor the point: Ixnay on paper micarta, and yes we can tell the difference. :D

~ P.

Ixnay on the aperpay! I gree-uh-ay!!:D

I will confirm the options of burlap and linen, so graciously photoshopped, and get a POLL on the road!!

GEC's golden rod micarta ages so nice
It does John, but I think we have an overwhelming preference for some visual texture at this time!
I suppose if we keep at this long enough, we might touch on every idea ever presented in these wish-list sort of threads! Of course some of our children will have to pick up the reins!!:D

Texture works for me too, haven't followed thread that closely. Diffidently not trying to rock the boat.

You know fellas, Charlie said he wanted to order 500 of them.
Even if he orders 350 like he did last year, there isn't going to be a shortage of them.
This isn't one of those 50-knife SFO orders.

After 11 years of knives Frank I don't recall ever having demand exceed supply until way after they've been delivered. Always the ones who missed it because there was something they didn't like and stopped participating only to find out after seein' the pictures and how knice they were and havin' remorse for not buying one.

How many of the first years knives were made and they were still some available after the prepaid orders were filled.

First 3 years (2006-2008) we had about 50 made in each year

These are the tentative numbers made since the first knife in '06, anyone remember any year sellin' out where there were none left after the orders were delivered? There have always been some and with the larger numbers we should be fine to avoid preferential ordering. (Just pay attention to the tread, check on it once a week and you'll get a knife or more. :) ) IIRC Barry was still selling the last of the 2016 Harness Jack's for a few months after all the prepaid orders were delivered.

2006 $78 - (43)........................Ring Openers.....................Canal Street Cutlery
2007 $100- (57)........................Cannitlers...........................Canal Street Cutlery
2008 $89 - (50)........................Stockmen...........................Northwood knives
2009 $82.94 - (113).......................Barlows..............................Queen/Schatt Morgan
2010 $100(?) -(131).......................Moose................................Queen
2011 $92 - (184).......................Easy Openers.....................GEC
2013 $129- (173)........................Congress Jacks...................GEC
2014 $76 - (354)........................Stag Jacks..........................GEC, stag donated by John Lloyd
2015 $00 - (000)........................Serpentine Jacks.................GEC (Barry or Charlie if anyone has the total made let me know so I can update the tally sheet. :))
2016 $115- (350)........................Equal End Harness Jack.......GEC

After 11 years of knives Frank I don't recall ever having demand exceed supply until way after they've been delivered. Always the ones who missed it because there was something they didn't like and stopped participating only to find out after seein' the pictures and how knice they were and havin' remorse for not buying one.

How many of the first years knives were made and they were still some available after the prepaid orders were filled.

These are the tentative numbers made since the first knife in '06, anyone remember any year sellin' out where there were none left after the orders were delivered? There have always been some and with the larger numbers we should be fine to avoid preferential ordering. (Just pay attention to the tread, check on it once a week and you'll get a knife or more. :) ) IIRC Barry was still selling the last of the 2016 Harness Jack's for a few months after all the prepaid orders were delivered.

2006 $78 - (43)........................Ring Openers.....................Canal Street Cutlery
2007 $100- (57)........................Cannitlers...........................Canal Street Cutlery
2008 $89 - (50)........................Stockmen...........................Northwood knives
2009 $82.94 - (113).......................Barlows..............................Queen/Schatt Morgan
2010 $100(?) -(131).......................Moose................................Queen
2014 $76 - (354)........................Stag Jacks..........................GEC, stag donated by John Lloyd
2015 $00 - (000)........................Serpentine Jacks.................GEC (Barry or Charlie if anyone has the total made let me know so I can update the tally sheet. :))

I don't recall exactly how may were made for 2015, but that was Canal Street Cutlery that made the 2015 Serpentine Jack. It is still my favorite traditional that I own. Perfect for my uses. I thought that there was 300 or so made, but I can't recall exactly.

I hope you're right. There are those of us who always buy a forum knife just because it's the forum knife. Then there are those of us who only buy a forum knife if that year's design appeals to us. I have some anxiety that there are hundreds of folks who want a TC Barlow for under $100 that have never previously had any interest in a forum knife.

I'm confident the project is in good hands, and it will be what it will be. But I'm warning y'all. I'll have a Tsarbomba sized meltdown if I don't get one. :eek::mad::D

I just enjoyed reading this entire thread, I would be very interested in whatever the final version is. I too hope that they make enough for the demand!

Please dont go TBomba on us.
:)
On a side note ... the 2009 knife was $82.94?

I don't recall exactly how may were made for 2015, but that was Canal Street Cutlery that made the 2015 Serpentine Jack. It is still my favorite traditional that I own. Perfect for my uses. I thought that there was 300 or so made, but I can't recall exactly.
Beat me to it. 2015 was definitely Canal Street, not GEC. The last knives they ever made, I believe. And 300 sounds about right. And I love mine, too. Great blades, and that wood is killer! Wish I had a couple more.

IIRC Barry was still selling the last of the 2016 Harness Jack's for a few months after all the prepaid orders were delivered.

Actually, IIRC, those CSC knives never did sell out, and Barry did some kind of giveaway or donation to get rid of them.

I've seen it all now. The forum knife has been a decade long tradition, but this is the first time I remember someone asking for preferential treatment.

Yes, odd indeed. Might as well say previous 'loyal' buyers of the Forum Knife, I have 6, should be given preference.:D Makes no sense and it would be difficult to implement. As Frank pointed out later, this is a 500 run not a 25 SFO or something from the early years with 50 odd knives (the number who signed up for it) Moreover, a big run of TC Barlows like this might actually have an impact on the rarity or perceived value of this sought after pattern anyway.

Please don't go TBomba on us.
:)
On a side note ... the 2009 knife was $82.94?
That might have been the shipped price or the after tax price, I forget, That's why I always say the #s are tentative :) I remember that the '09 Barlow was one of the forum's most difficult knives almost bein' the last year of the forum knives.

I remember seein' one of the '06 CSC Ring Turners on Ebay right after they closed their doors, I don't recall what they were askin' but I remember thinkin' it was like the first Hess Truck, extremely valuable to someone who needed it to complete a collection.

That 09 knife is my favorite of the BF knives. I wish I had been around here back then. I can't imagine how there could have been any difficulty around it.

That 09 knife is my favorite of the BF knives. I wish I had been around here back then. I can't imagine how there could have been any difficulty around it.

As I recall, delivery was extremely slow but this was due to illness. Some people objected.

Looking forward to the poll now:thumbsup:

I got in on the recent Mudbug run. I picked the natural canvas micarta, just because it was a little different than anything else I had.
I'm finding that I really like it. It seems to pick up a patina, so it sorta goes with the 1095.
So that's my "vote", for what it's worth. Maybe $.02?
But I'm not married to it. I'll buy at least one of what ever it ends up being. I think that the sense of community, and the shared enthusiasm is what is important here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back