Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry a 2014 Stag quite often, and have an extra put back, Will!
I confess it's my favourite BF knife of all time! I like the others, but that Stag Jack has got "it"!!!
And the one I use is a "second" with a mistake in the swedge grind, but I love it warts and all!

The 14 Stag is a very fine knife for all time Charlie. Of course, getting one with Stag I like helps it along :thumbsup: but the blade is the right size for the handle, it has sturdy W&T and the balance in hand is just right. Balance in the hand really is important to me, it's like a gun or musical instrument makes it immediately appealing. The ringed bolster is a nice embellishment too. If it had been Barehead I might never have had to buy a knife again...;) just lying':D

I am relatively new here, love the 2016 knife, and I plan to buy one of this year's. But I realize I represent the recent growth in the interest in traditional pocket knives, and GEC specifically, that makes people nervous about the supply.
Don't sweat it, friend. We were all new here at one time, and you have as much right to purchase a knife as anyone. Without a general growing interest in traditional pocket knives, GEC might not have flourished and none of us would be having this discussion now. I've been here since 2012 and have had ample opportunity to purchase any of the forum knives at my leisure during the initial release.

Very interesting to read everyone's thoughts on this knife, I'll definitely try to grab one. I don't have a Gec Barlow of any description so that makes a forum knife Barlow even more enviable to me. I picked up the 2014 #77 from the secondary market, and it's a beauty. One of my favourites.

Don't sweat it, friend. We were all new here at one time, and you have as much right to purchase a knife as anyone. Without a general growing interest in traditional pocket knives, GEC might not have flourished and none of us would be having this discussion now. I've been here since 2012 and have had ample opportunity to purchase any of the forum knives at my leisure during the initial release.
Thanks Shaggy! I've also been proselytizing the virtues of traditional knives to my friends. These knives are little works of art that once you have in hand are irresistible.
Dave

I know that the TC Barlows are super popular no matter the version so I can understand the concern some have. However I do believe I recall Charlie mentioned he is doing his own run of Sheep foot TCs as well. So knowing GEC these knives will most likely be produced around the same time. If so it should go a long gone way in assuring everyone gets a forum's knife that wants one. But what the heck do I know I'm just a crazy guy that loves knives o_O:p:D;)

I think this could be a "chicken and egg" situation regarding the recent uptick in traditional interest and GEC's success.

It was actually my search for a 15 TC that had me sign up with BF late 2015 (I think). It took me awhile to feel confident enough to start posting, but I found the knowledge, generosity, and comradery of "the porch" to be an oasis on an otherwise dystopian wasteland that is the internet.

I still buy many GECs (more than I should) but I've gotten back to Case a little, bought my first Queen product in years, and strive to start buying some vintage pieces, once I feel I've learned enough not to get fleeced. I also have learned many tips and tricks to lengthen the life of my knives. All influenced by BladeForums members.

I don't have to buy the BF knife, and if it was grotesque or too expensive - I wouldn't. But even if it was simply "just another knife" that I would not otherwise have interest in, I would buy the BladeForums knife because it's made just for us. And for me at least, is a physical representation of all things I've come to appreciate about this place.

This is simply how I feel, and is not a statement of how I think others should feel.

Just one for me. I already have like........ 10 sheepsfoot blade #15's. I'm totally sheepsfooted out. But I'm definitely buying one, while I finally have the opportunity of getting on of Charlie's Barlow.

Sheepsfoot #15s to tend to spawn, don't they?! Which is of course more due to the relative flood of Beer Crown Scout Lifters than anything in the estimable Barlow stable.

:D

~ P.
Mixing metaphors and just about everything else.

I carry a 2014 Stag quite often, and have an extra put back, Will!
I confess it's my favourite BF knife of all time! I like the others, but that Stag Jack has got "it"!!!
And the one I use is a "second" with a mistake in the swedge grind, but I love it warts and all!

amen! such a journey to find them, kept only the mint one

...I don't have to buy the BF knife, and if it was grotesque or too expensive - I wouldn't. But even if it was simply "just another knife" that I would not otherwise have interest in, I would buy the BladeForums knife because it's made just for us. And for me at least, is a physical representation of all things I've come to appreciate about this place.
Feel pretty much the same way although the forum knife has to conform to my general preferences in terms of pattern for me to be interested enough to buy. They always seem to sell out, so I don't think anyone cares if I get one or not.

I suspect the pre-ordering will be coming soon for this year's traditional forum knife. The handle material seems to be pretty much settled based on the polling.

Just one for me, which will go directly into my pocket. My hope is that by the time the sheepsfoot is sharpened down to that of an awl I will have 10-15 more forum knives from which I can chose to take its place when it is retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back