woodworking and home improvement tools

I finally have gotten my barn done. I know have a small amount of room for some tools for doing kind of basic woodworking. I used to do a little of that but haven't for years. I also used to really like refinishing old (not antique!) furniture.

I was thinking that with a table saw and a drill press that would cover a lot of projects. I'd also like a belt sander. I'd probably be looking for something used.

What would be a good start for getting some tools for fun projects?

Woodworking and home improvement have some overlap but are also somewhat separate.

My favorite power tools for home improvement-
portable drills
circular saw
small electric chainsaw
bench grinder
miter saw

Power tools for my meager woodworking and other projects-
table saw
drill press
router
small reciprocating saw (what we used to call a jig saw)
portable and bench belt sanders

I never got into a sawzall but for serious demolition I think they are great.

Thanks. Those are good ideas, I've got some of the stuff for a slight head start.

The Milwaukie sawzall is essential for demo !! But they also make a smaller sized one [for the kid's playhouse ?? ]

If you are looking for organization after getting the tools you want / need, I highly recommend Wall Control. It is a metal pegboard system that is super versatile.

Woodworking and home improvement have some overlap but are also somewhat separate.

small reciprocating saw (what we used to call a jig saw)
I never got into a sawzall but for serious demolition I think they are great.

A jig saw is still called a jog saw. A Sawzall is a brand of reciprocating saw.

A table saw is one of the most useful for wooddorking. Miter saw, drill press, router and table, etc.

If you get a larger, standing, band saw, pay the extra now, and get one that also cuts metal if you even slightly THINK...you might get into knife making someday. If not, get the cheaper one that only cuts wood. :)

Back