• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Work Hawk XL - Backpacking/Bushcraft FULL TANG AXE

Hello BF,

Today I've got a pure function Work Hawk XL sporting Terotuf scales. The Work Hawk XL is a design created with the basic goal of making my Work Hawk bigger without breaking into a weight class that would invalidate the benefits of a full tang tomahawk. I've added 2" to the handle, .5" to the cutting edge, and tweaked the head design quite a bit to keep weight low for its size. The grind on this XL is a slowly convexed appleseed bevel. It's an aggressive cutter for its weight, and handles wonderfully in light chores also. It makes quick work of saplings but will cut your taters and onions by the campfire, too. This Work Hawk XL is finished with gun blue, which I consider a nice compromise tool finish. It's easy to touch up if desired, but looks good while taking a beating. These are meant to be used, and the finish reflects that. If surface rust develops, it can be easily removed with 0000 steel wool, although I find it easier to just keep carbon steels oiled. Grey terotuf isn't the prettiest handle material, but it grips awesomely and is plenty tough, which makes it damn beautiful to me. It's also perceptively lighter than micarta type handles of the same size.

Some of you may have seen my chopping and carving videos featuring the regular sized work hawk. The XL offers a significant performance increase for the six or so extra ounces it packs.

Steel: 80CRV2 @59RC, 47RC tang
Length: 14.75"
Edge: 4.25"
Weight: Estimated 24oz, I will weigh it later today with a scale and post the exact number.
Weight w/ Sheath: TBD
Handle: Grey(black) Terotuf with blasted aluminum chainring bolts + G-Flex epoxy
Finish: Gun blue tool finish, oiled with Barricade, lightly waxed with candelilla wax
Sheath: This is one of my simple edge guard sheaths with a buckle retention strap, but featuring a leather pull tab and leather protective strip to keep the webbing from wearing down against the edge of the tang.

The price for this Work Hawk XL is $345 SOLD (via Paypal, includes USPS Priority Mail to the CONUS). First "I'll take it" gets it. I will post elsewhere, and go by the timestamp.
You must be 18+ to purchase. You are responsible for compliance with your local laws.
10% discount for active duty MIL/LEO/FF/EMT

tFh2Gph.jpg

uWm6roQ.jpg

e2rHfjQ.jpg

6efNlqv.jpg

zGhPQtI.jpg

EC0rvIS.jpg

RrB1SHj.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always comments and questions welcome.

Last edited:
This reply had errors, so I'm canceling it and posting a new reply below. I don't see any way to delete it.

Last edited:
Hi, Park:

I've been wondering about the functional purpose for the scalloped poll in this design. The more common flat (or slightly curved) poll can be used as a hammer. Is the scalloped poll for cosmetic reasons, to reduce weight, or is there another purpose that I'm not seeing?

Hi, Park:

I've been wondering about the functional purpose for the scalloped poll in this design. The more common flat (or slightly curved) poll can be used as a hammer. Is the scalloped poll for cosmetic reasons, to reduce weight, or is there another purpose that I'm not seeing?

Hi David,
Thanks for asking! There are many considerations in the poll design. The first poll issue I encountered when developing prototypes was that striking a target (classic example would be a tent stake) with a poll face on a .25" thick axe is a somewhat slippery challenge. There just isn't substantial surface area (and I'm not content with glancing blows from a shaving sharp upside-down axe in the middle of the wilderness at night :)). My first reaction was to bolt on pieces at the poll to triple the surface area, but it made more problems thanks solutions because lightness and packability are high priorities, and extra width also gets in the way with shaving cuts and deep chops. The deep jumping I ended up using is meant to register with the wood being struck in order to slip less, it grabs the wood. The tradeoff is that it's slightly more destructive to something as small as a tent stake, but I really had larger stakes or posts in mind. Smaller/sensitive things that need to be struck with this particular axe can be struck with the exposed tang. In addition to striking traction, the jumped poll provides a thumb ramp when choked up, and fills the palm when using the tool like an ulu. I decided to err on the side of aggressive, that is I'd rather use a glove or experience slight discomfort than have a slippery tool.
Hope that helps!

Hi David,
Thanks for asking! There are many considerations in the poll design. The first poll issue I encountered when developing prototypes was that striking a target (classic example would be a tent stake) with a poll face on a .25" thick axe is a somewhat slippery challenge. There just isn't substantial surface area (and I'm not content with glancing blows from a shaving sharp upside-down axe in the middle of the wilderness at night :)). My first reaction was to bolt on pieces at the poll to triple the surface area, but it made more problems thanks solutions because lightness and packability are high priorities, and extra width also gets in the way with shaving cuts and deep chops. The deep jumping I ended up using is meant to register with the wood being struck in order to slip less, it grabs the wood. The tradeoff is that it's slightly more destructive to something as small as a tent stake, but I really had larger stakes or posts in mind. Smaller/sensitive things that need to be struck with this particular axe can be struck with the exposed tang. In addition to striking traction, the jumped poll provides a thumb ramp when choked up, and fills the palm when using the tool like an ulu. I decided to err on the side of aggressive, that is I'd rather use a glove or experience slight discomfort than have a slippery tool.
Hope that helps!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the reason the poll hardly protrudes is a function of size/packability. I only added as much poll as was necessary.

everything looks top notch, including the sheath. having the slots lined up on the fasteners is a nice touch :thumbsup:

Own one, use it, and absolutely love it. One of my favorite bush hawks... Nice job again Park!

Back