Off Topic work sharp ken onion, worthed ?

I'm thinking of buying one...

I have 6 busse to maintain, is it good for sr101 and infi?

are the belt good for a while or need to be changed often? they are not cheap...

(how is it on m390/s90v ?)

I'd say "no" the belts are really gonna add up...

I went with a Harbor Fright 1 x 30 belt sander...gives you lots of options with REASONABLY priced belts, even leather belts.

It even gives you more options of how to attack/position the edge...

Dan <TinFoilHatTimmy> and others really convinced me to go that way with their PRO quality edges and great advice...and I haven't looked back...$$$ well spent.

I have one and it's ok. I've only used it once and it works. I did manage to put a mirror polish convex edge on my edc blade my first try and with no prior experience so I think it's a good product for a novice like myself. The mirror polish edge is beautiful and I was pleased with it. But all the parts are plastic and as stated above, the belts are the expensive part. But nowhere near as expensive as the blades I'll be sharpening on it. I just don't know how it will hold up since I've only owned it since Christmas.

I'd say "no" the belts are really gonna add up...

I went with a Harbor Fright 1 x 30 belt sander...gives you lots of options with REASONABLY priced belts, even leather belts.

It even gives you more options of how to attack/position the edge...

Dan <TinFoilHatTimmy> and others really convinced me to go that way with their PRO quality edges and great advice...and I haven't looked back...$$$ well spent.

interesting can you post a picture or model #?

here's mine...

I took off the table and use her on her back for edge trailing stropping...

good for convex edges where the belt's a bit slack...you can move your blade over the platen for a more "V" edge...

Posted a link to the model # on your profile page...lots of good YouTube vids about how to use this versatile tool specifically for knife edges...

mlYFttR.jpg

The worksharp is OK. You can get after market belts much cheaper. The best sharpener I have ever used is the Wicked Edge but a little pricey.

I have one. It is excellent for large blades with badly damaged edges or axes. It is nice to have for some jobs if the knife is big. The Harbor freight rig others are using probably does the same thing. I tend to use a Spyderco Sharpmaker 95% of the time as it really is the most useful tool I have for sharpening. You need the diamond stones for it to be really effective though. The sharp maker is the best for folders but also can do a great job on larger knives with some patience.

I like my Worksharp KO. Once you get the hang of it, you get great results very quickly. The belts aren't too bad. Especially once you get all your knives to the point that you're just touching them up here and there. Buy them on Amazon. I don't put convex edges on all my blades, but this is by far the easiest way to get an edge hair popping sharp IMO.

I also have a Wicked edge and the TSProf Sharpener. Both also get scary sharp results. Just takes a bit longer and a bit more work.

I love my Ken Onion Work Sharp. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, like all tools, but once you understand what you are doing it works great. I go through probably more belts than the average user since I make knives as a hobby, but I feel that the belts last plenty long for what I am doing with them. I have sharpened swords, machetes, and tomahawks along with regular knives with no problems. I think the question is how much are you willing to spend on a sharpening tool along with how much patience you have for other sharpening methods. This is a more expensive way to sharpen knives, but it will save you a lot of time and takes most of the guess work out of bevel angle.

Back