Worst abuse you've done to a knife?

The worst abuse I ever did to a knife (Kabar 1236) was forget it was laying in the bed of the pickup (in it's leather sheath) where it laid for over a week, during which period it rained every day. When I found it, the sheath was shot and the blade rusted to hell.

Derusted it, resharpened it and made a new sheath for it. That happened about 20 years ago and I haven't been that stupid with a knife since.

I've done tons of things to abuse a knife....

Worst abuse I did to a knife was hand it over to a non knife person when they needed to cut something.

Also when I first bought my Rat 1 a few years ago, me and some friends were drinking beer and throwing the Rat 1 into the dirt and it ended up hitting a rock in the ground and the tip broke off.....I had to reprofile the tip of the blade, so now I no longer throw knives into the dirt.

One time I was tearing down a old shed in the backyard and was hammering a Bowie knife in to the roof shingles and the finger guard broke off and the hammer left a bunch of dents on the spine of the blade.

I also did some other dumb stuff to knives a long time ago.

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPGthis one survived several years of construction trade, from post frame construction to hod carrier. Whether tapping the knife through trim or wood with a hammer to prying.
Nothing wrong with it, I tried to get BM to send me a new blade but they didn't produce them any longer. I spent a winter in the "tool shed" while on the job site at a power plant in turlock ca.(05?) Evidently I found the engraver and did some fancy freehand lol

Last edited:
My first reaction was : I don't abuse my tools.
Then I finally remembered this little Buck. About thirty some years ago I shorted it between a battery terminal and the clamp holding the battery down. I was scraping the terminal and connector clean and I melted a divot out of the edge you could fit a large tooth pick into.

Later I felt so bad I ground the knife to get rid of the divot and polished the blade to make it up to him.
My only excuse was that she was very hot and flirtatious. The damsel that I was getting her car to start for.

The other day I used my S30V military to cut through a servo belt that is reinforced with small steel cables. Nobody at work thought it was possible for a pocket knife to cut through it, but it did, and it dulled and chipped the crap out of the blade. Took a good hour or more to sharpen again and it's still not quite the same! Too bad it wasn't CRUWEAR or M4! Now I know though.

Bent the tip on an old Schrade trapper using it for something I can't remember ages ago. Mistake was trying to straighten it out. Snapped off the tip. I still have it but my tip re-profile afterwards wasn't the best.

was cutting the plastic strap that hold the spare key around the steering wheel on a new Mercedes for friend who was the new car manager and my SG spider monkey would not cut it and then realized it was a steel lined cable.Wiped the edge right off the SM but just put a better edge on it with my edgepro.

Used a Mora to cut sod. Didn't faze it a bit. Blade took some wear marks is all. My hand got blisters tho'.

Hi! Never really abused my knives but I surely have sometimes misused some of them in my… learning process :D. So I remember I snapped the tips off from a couple of Opinels while prying something, I broke the scales of a couple of SAKs using them as improper hammers, I certainly screwed up the edges of some kitchen knives fighting with bones, etc. Fortunately, having been exposed to knives use since childhood, I have soon learned what’s appropriate and correct use and have limited the damages inflicted to relatively cheap knives :). I am not a collector and all my knives gets used but I now know what to do and what not to do with my cutting tools :).

I let my 8 year old son use my Evans Knife and Tool Companion on a 3 day camping trip. During the trip he told me "Dad, this knife will not cut through a rock."

The edge was chipped, but it will sharpen out with time. I would say the S35VN held up pretty well. My son did great too, he cut a ton of stuff during our time in the woods, but didn't cut himself.

Once upon a time I purchased a Schrade hunting knife to use for hunting and camping, but I quit hunting and I found I was using other blades when camping. The Schrade got packed away and forgotten for about 15 years or so. When I rediscovered the knife recently, still in its leather sheath, it was covered with corrosion especially the brass guard. I believe the technical name for the corrosion is "green goo". It took a lot of work to clean up the blade and I learned a lesson - don't store knives in leather sheaths.

-I used to have a cheapy or two,(1 folder, 1 fixed) at work that got "sharpened" on the grip tape on my forklift. They got dropped on concrete, slid across warehouse floor, bumped tip and edge against metal racking in use. The folder was actually twice run over by a forklift. I still have both and both are still functional. Folder is in the garage somewhere, fixed in the shed, it's now used to scrape and clean out the lawnmower.
- More recently I used my lrg Insingo Sebenza to cut some downspout metal to length. Didn't even dull it much, suffered 1 small chip that's almost gone after 1 sharpening.
- I try to use the right tool for the job at hand, but sometimes things come up and whatever tool you have on you has to do the job.

Used a Mora to cut sod. Didn't faze it a bit. Blade took some wear marks is all. My hand got blisters tho'.

I didn't realize that was abuse, lol.
29437977185_e6b18d3da8_b.jpg

940s don't make for good screwdrivers.
25554072642_85666aa290_b.jpg

- I try to use the right tool for the job at hand, but sometimes things come up and whatever tool you have on you has to do the job.

I'm with you. My knives have done LOTS of things they weren't designed to do.

Once upon a time I purchased a Schrade hunting knife to use for hunting and camping, but I quit hunting and I found I was using other blades when camping. The Schrade got packed away and forgotten for about 15 years or so. When I rediscovered the knife recently, still in its leather sheath, it was covered with corrosion especially the brass guard. I believe the technical name for the corrosion is "green goo". It took a lot of work to clean up the blade and I learned a lesson - don't store knives in leather sheaths.

i did the same with an old timer. it was forgotten in a dry bag I use for canoe camping, I have no idea how long it lived in there before I pulled it out. that green goo is serious stuff.

I try to take care of all of it, but on a motorcycle ride, I had to make a repair, no screwdriver small enough and I broke the tip off of a brandnew kershaw blackout. Then there was a wet leather sheath on a backpacking trip with a high carbon steel knife. I had no idea it had even gotten wet until I got home. Then there was learning to sharpen.....lots of knives suffered, a few permanently.

EDIT: according to Bark River, cleaning rabbits and splitting the pelvis with a Bravo 1 is abuse, and I should expect chipping when splitting a 4 month old rabbit's pelvis a the cartilaginous joint. Same with when I cut off feet and heads, but battoning is ok.

Last edited:
Back