Off Topic Would I have a problem with this?

With regard to sharpening. I use a 240/400 grit stone, then a 600 grit stone, then a 1000, 2000, 3000, then lastly the leather strop.
I need a new 600 grit stone.

If I buy a 25 micron/800 grit diamond stone (to replace my 600 grit), will there be any problem with using a diamond stone, while the rest of the stones are all regular whetstones?

This might be a dumb question but I would love to tap into the vast knowledge on this site. Is there any problem using a mix of whetstones and diamond stones? As far as I know there is no reason to have all whetstones or all diamond stones, so why not mix them to get the grit you need?

Thank you.

It'll work just fine. I use 140, 400, and 600 grit diamonds on my Edge Pro, followed by 600 and 1000 grit Edge Pro AO stones, finish with 2000 and 4000 grit Shapton Glass stones. If I want a prettier end product I use 3000 grit Edge Pro polish tape in between the 2000 and 4000 Shaptons.

Appreciated. Thanks! I have the edge pro too. I really enjoy that system.

Grit rating is different in different manufacturers. According to the Grant Unified Grit chart, ANSI #600 is 14 micron, which is finer than the said #800 diamond stone. Also, I think that diamond stones tend to make deeper scratches, which makes them feel coarser. I myself use diamond stones at coarse grits for edge bevel setting.

Miso

Yup. Making sure you're accurately comparing your grit systems is important, and take the individual stones' performance into account in your system. Diamond stones have higher grit protrusion, and so will be more aggressive than a bonded abrasive of equal grain size.

Back