would like to identify

this is a axe i found at my uncles house after he passed many years ago. just recently decided to refurbish it. looked like maybe my cousin was chopping nails with it sorry no before pictures. took some time to file out those chips.

first every axe refurbish and assume it is a cheapo import. no markings other than grooves going all the way around inside the neck i think it is called.

think it was painted black.

anyone have any idea what it may be?
0814171152-00.jpg
0814171153-00.jpg
0814171153-03.jpg
0814171154-06.jpg
0814171154-00.jpg
0814171153-06.jpg

thank you for any help.

Last edited:
It's a Jersey pattern. Looks typical of vintage American axes with its high centerline (convex cheeks). Many makers sold unstamped axes to hardware chains who attached their own paper labels. These are typically of good quality but not top shelf.

The wear doesn't look too bad. A little file work and some honing and she'll be good as new.

Learning curve...
If there are grooves within the eye, were there other manufacturers using this technique other than Kelly?
Did Kelly use grooves for specific models and or during certain years of manufacture?
This probably opens a can of worms...

LOL!!
The link has an error, I will try searching the thread when I can
Thanks Garry3, the humor here is right up my alley, I appreciate a good ball busting:oops::):D

thank you all very much. this axe does not have ridges like in that thread it has grooves. i was thinking about it last night and if i had to guess my uncle most likely got it from sears in the 80s. very possible could be older however i do not know anything about axe but very well could go back to 60s-70s. if he brought it with him from the farm he grew on it could be even older.

again thank you all.

Back