Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have and likely will by more. I vastly prefer the US made option when possible though.

no. cause buck can and does still make american made quality at an affordable price still.

if they had high end chinese made like the we or kizer brand knives as an example at a good price id consider it.

the entry level types buck currently has made in china i have no real need for, but i understand the need and market it fills.

I was not going to, until I found one cheap in a pawn shop. Bought it and it is ok. But I carry a Vantage and a 55 during the week, and wear a 110 on the weeekend if I'm camping or doing chores or not "dressing nice."

Trying to use the Chinese Buck enough to form an opinion, but it just doesn't call to me.

In my opinion this is what it boils down to, they make them for less than we can. Most people buy cheap knives and do not care where they are made. Provide a cheap knife for the masses, that makes a profit for Buck.
I own and use both USA and imported Buck Knives.

USA 301 $65
China 301 $35

I bought a Nobleman and Bones. I had my eye on the Nobleman for some time and when I saw it at a very good price on sale, I bought it. The Bones was on sale (very cheap) and an impulse buy.

I like the Nobleman as an apple knife and the Bones was basically a throw-away to be used for prying or rough work. I still like the Nobleman and the Bones is okay but a little junky, although they clearly are cheaper quality knives.

As far as Made In China goes... I prefer knives from N. America, Europe, or Japan, not China. Most people who act like "Made In China" is a dirty word probably have a home full of Chinese-made products and love buying cheap things in bulk and complaining about prices these days. You get what you pay for and country of origin doesn't always mean quality.

Nah....

382.Pearl%20005_zpszzptqson.jpg

389Canoe005_zpsf53c10f5.jpg

Last edited:
My experience is that Buck has hurt their image trying to accommodate Walmart and cash in on the low end market. Maybe it wasn't considered but People today are looking more at country of origin labels. Plus, this move threw open the door to counterfeits. Those manufacturing these are our competitors. I don't care to move my tent across the lake and camp on that side. DM

Edited Post: You know what, forget it. I'll take that one back. No point in starting that conversation here

Delete

Last edited:
If there was a good reason to buy one I would. I'm not against it. Give me a knife I like the looks of in a good steel for a great price and I'd buy it. The price on their American made knives is very reasonable. If their knives were twice as much or more as they cost, there would be more market for lower priced alternatives IMO. As it is, the difference between $30 for a Chinese version and $60 for an American knife isn't that far off. Especially when you consider in almost every case the American version will include better materials and at least as good but usually better fit and finish as well as warranty.
I think Buck might be better off doing what a lot of other companies do and naming foreign produced lines something else. That way it doesn't dilute the Buck brand but can still be associated with Buck and ride their coattails a little.

In my opinion this is what it boils down to, they make them for less than we can. Most people buy cheap knives and do not care where they are made. Provide a cheap knife for the masses, that makes a profit for Buck.
I own and use both USA and imported Buck Knives.

USA 301 $65
China 301 $35[
/QUOTE]

You're shopping in the wrong place. I just checked some online sites and the USA-made 301 is available for $29.70 and the 371 (Chinese-made 301) for $21.17. And those are everyday prices, not sale prices.

Last edited:
I gave a Selkirk away last year to a guy camping next to me. There are plenty of options made here in the USA that I don't need to support the Chinese versions. At the Buck sales most of the Chinese knives sell for 5 to 8 dollars and are usually the last ones still available on the table at the end of the week.plus if you tried to re-sell one it's almost impossible.

You're shopping in the wrong place. I just checked some online sites and the USA-made 301 is available for $29.70 and the 371 (Chinese-made 301) for $21.17. And those are everyday prices, not sale prices.
MY prices are from the Buck website and are for sample purposes only.

Only BCCI members can afford to buy from the Buck website.
(In some areas of the site, even BCCI members can't afford it.)
:)

My only one "knife" reason was a china scissors on sale for like $12. Can't justify a splizzors and I had an order going in anyways. Love it and use it weekly in the kitchen.

Since this thread has matured to 38 posts lets be careful to keep on track about the discussion of contract made out-of-USA made Buck knives not just rant on political subjects.

I, like most Americans, consume many items made overseas. Buck sheaths are made in Mexico. The current main small folder contractor is located in China. Buck appears to maintain careful watch on products made under that contractor.

In my area most stores only carry overseas knives at the common mans price point. The local lumber yard has a nice display of a certain American made knives with C--e tang stamps at double those Buck contractor prices. Otherwise to buy a Buck you go to the Mart store. Where Buck contracted knives are sold. A very few USA Bucks hang in the oft hated blister packages also. I cannot not think of any displays of USA stamped Buck knives in the old fashion display boxes within 50 miles. You would have to travel at 75 miles to a Pro or Cab to find Bucks in boxes.

Regular fellows buy non USA knives because that is what is in front of them. And our society is use to the point of those overseas manufactures being displayed, even on our food. Outsourced Bucks are available in town and are lower cost and look decent in their blister pack. I have a couple and they are stout and well finished. But, I have not bought any others for a long time. I do see people I encounter having one in their pocket from time to time. Buck has brought home the making of some past contractor models and says in it writings that they plan additional returns

Buck does this contracting to maintain a market share. I wish for the days where a Buck display was in every hardware store would return, maybe, but I don't think I am willing to give up other advances in our society to have that happen. I do not buy contracted Bucks as gifts. I have more knives than I personally need so don't buy any USA made ones for myself either.

I do support American workers when I know the difference. No flag waving just answer to the thread question. 300

Last edited:
I was not going to, until I found one cheap in a pawn shop. Bought it and it is ok. But I carry a Vantage and a 55 during the week, and wear a 110 on the weeekend if I'm camping or doing chores or not "dressing nice."

Trying to use the Chinese Buck enough to form an opinion, but it just doesn't call to me.

This is, as far as I'm concerned, to be the best answer to Chinese manufactured Bucks and why someone would not buy them. I have a couple myself, a combo set that is exclusive to Canadian Tire (Steel Ridge) as well as the Nobleman/Colleague knives and even though the quality is a step above their price point (got them at clearance pricing at up to 70% off), I just don't seem to have that "fondness" for them that I can explain. I have them, take them out on occasion, but don't have a desire to actually use them, whereas my small and large Vantage's get the nod. But then again, it could be that the Vantage knives are just that much better.

I have other Chinese made knives such as SOG, KaBar and Ontario but don't seem to have that aversion to them, as the quality is also good (well except the SOG Fielder but that is another matter) and they all get used and appreciated, so I don't have a really defining answer.
Of course, since I'm in Canada, all knives are foreign made so I try to buy on value rather than country of origin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back