Would you guys take take along your Sebenza on possibly wet camping trip?

Would you guys take take along your Sebenza on possibly wet camping trip?

For example, going on a mountain trip wherein there is around 70% chance that it would rain?

Or a trip to the beach?

Or would you rather have one of those knives that are specifically made not to rust, ala the Spyderco Salt.

This is of course considering that Sebenzas are not cheap, and the there are more rust resistant steels out there..

or are Sebenzas rust resistant enough for a situation involving lots of water?

Yes, it would be fine, I've never had an issue with rust yet. Beat the crap out of it, that's what they are built for. :)

I am also curious on this subject. How would the bronze washers hold up? Lets say i were to take one of my CRK, ie my seb to someplace humid and tropical and decided to swim/snorkel/dive with it attached to my swimming gear? Then decided to change and eat without proper takedown/cleaning for lets say 10 hours after?

I would take my Sebbie on the camping trip, but not to the beach. However, I'm sure the Sebenza would hold up just fine in both environments.

I'm no steels expert, but from what I understand S30V contains nitrogen; the same ingredient that gives Spyderco's H1 its rust resistance. I think H1 just contains a lot more of it. As for the other parts of the Sebenza, titanium can withstand attacks from certain acids and moist chlorine gas, so I think it's safe to say that rain and salt water should be no problem. Also, the washers should be fine as they are an alloy and not a true steel.

I just personally wouldn't take my Sebenza to the beach because I'd be afraid of losing it in the sand!

Last edited:
had mine with me this summer on and by the sea... no rust but a lot of sand, the Sebenza is so easy to clean so go for it

I have lived Taiwan for a few years now and have had nothing more than a slight "rust rash" on my Sebenzas and Umnumzaan. I often hike up rivers here when I go hiking because the jungle is usually so thick it would take the whole day to walk a mile through it. The humidity is just stupid during the summer and the winter is fresher but it rains quite a lot.

I also have family that live in Thailand and my CRKs often come with me on holidays there. I have swam in the sea and again walked about in the hills there with the Seb. and Umnum. with no problems.

As long as you wash the knife off with fresh water after a salty dip or when it gets muddy I find there is no problems to be had. Both knives are so easy to take apart and clean it would probably make little difference if you left it a while any way.

:):thumbup:

The Spydie Salt is really designed for ocean use and salt water exposure. Sebenzas are too reliable and easy to clean not to take it to the forest or the beach. I take one of my Seb 21's especially when I know inclement weather is a possibility.

The ENTIRE THING is made of either Titanium or Stainless Steel.

Why on earth would you even worry or have a question such as this?!

Just for the hell of it...

"Water" doesn't faze a Sebenza.
As a matter of fact I clean mine frequently under running water whenever it gets filthy, sweaty, or exposed to fruit juices, animal blood etc. Leaving dirt, salt and/or acidic matter in contact with the blade is about the only way to do any damage to it at all. I shake/flick it to get most of the water off and wipe the blade on my shirt tail, close it and clip it in my pocket, that's it, down the road I go. I do place a single tiny(!) drop of machine oil in the female hex bolsters to prevent moisture from getting to the threads. I only do this a couple times a year or whenever I decide it's time for a thorough teardown/cleaning. The secret to all of this is the pivot bushing/washer lube. Use ONLY Chris' lube OR Krytox (same thing Chris repackages/sells) You need a "grease" not an oil for it to stay put and last. It never ceases to amaze me at the cheapass SOB's that will drop the coin on a CRK and then put the cheapest fuckin' lube in it or use whatever is "handy" on their bench. For Christ's sake people, get the fuckin' lube. It also the single *best/greatest/mostawesomest* O-ring lubricant, AND a single syringe will last you many many years. /end

The ENTIRE THING is made of either Titanium or Stainless Steel.

Why on earth would you even worry or have a question such as this?!

Just for the hell of it...

"Water" doesn't faze a Sebenza.
As a matter of fact I clean mine frequently under running water whenever it gets filthy, sweaty, or exposed to fruit juices, animal blood etc. Leaving dirt, salt and/or acidic matter in contact with the blade is about the only way to do any damage to it at all. I shake/flick it to get most of the water off and wipe the blade on my shirt tail, close it and clip it in my pocket, that's it, down the road I go. I do place a single tiny(!) drop of machine oil in the female hex bolsters to prevent moisture from getting to the threads. I only do this a couple times a year or whenever I decide it's time for a thorough teardown/cleaning. The secret to all of this is the pivot bushing/washer lube. Use ONLY Chris' lube OR Krytox (same thing Chris repackages/sells) You need a "grease" not an oil for it to stay put and last. It never ceases to amaze me at the cheapass SOB's that will drop the coin on a CRK and then put the cheapest fuckin' lube in it or use whatever is "handy" on their bench. For Christ's sake people, get the fuckin' lube. It also the single *best/greatest/mostawesomest* O-ring lubricant, AND a single syringe will last you many many years. /end

Rock on Lube-man!
anim_27.gif

I have been carrying them in and out of fire scenes, trips to the beach, trips to another continent for over 10 years and they are still working just fine:)

I've had problems with some knives on extended kayaking and canoeing trips, especially in salt water. if you get stuck out in the ocean because of ice you can be there for a fairly long time without a chance to clean your blade, and no amount of lube or coating can guarantee you won't get some rust. But having said that, your folder wouldn't be exposed to the elements as much as a pfd or strapdown blade and they are easy to clean. The sebenza in particular is, in every incarnation I've seen, very corrosion resistant and an all around great knife. i wouldn't hesitate to take it.
However, if you can find a nice talonite or stellite folder, or even a titanium blade, then you'd have no corrosion worries at all.

Heck, I've snorkeled with a small Sebenza off Grand Cayman. Simply rinsed it in fresh water afterward everytime; followed this up with a breakdown and re-lube every few days.

If anything, the Sebenza moreso than other folders, is perfect for water submersion due to the ease in breakdown and cleaning.

Use it like you really want to!

Professor.

I know where you are coming from, man. The thought of wrecking your Sebenza makes you throw up in your mouth a little, huh? But they are tough, and can take it. And why wouldn't you want to carry your best knife at a time when you might need it (camping)? As for the beach, I agree with what has already been said. Just be careful not to lose it in the sand, but know that it's so easy to clean if you do get it all gritty.

Don't give in to Sebenza-phobia. Take it. Enjoy it. Cut stuff with it.

Trust the Force, Luke.

I would leave it at home in the back of my sock drawer, that way it will also stay sharp.

Take it out for special occasions a few times a year but don't cut anything.

It will last a life time. :thumbup:

I live on the coast and have carried mine every day and exposed it to ocean water, sweat, blood, fruit juices, sand and more sand. It's never shown any rust and despite being quite scratched up, is a good and functional as when I ordered it brand new. I wouldn't leave it in a puddle or with salt water inside for a long time, and am always careful to rinse and wipe each day it winds up getting abused, but it takes minimum care.

If you leave it wet and untouched for a few days you'll likely develop some surface oxidization on the blade but that'll rub clean off with some steel wool or a dish scrubbie pad. I don't know what you'd have to do to harm the titanium. Apart from scratching, I've never seen anything phase it.

Have a good camping trip; it's exactly what your Sebenza is designed for. :D

S30V is highly rust resistant and titanium, well, you can leave that on the bottom of the ocean for 1,000 years and it wont rust.... so what's to worry about? The screws? They are mirror polished stainless steel, hardly a rust magnet! ;)

I would leave it at home in the back of my sock drawer, that way it will also stay sharp.Take it out for special occasions a few times a year but don't cut anything. It will last a life time. :thumbup:

:D:D:D:eek::thumbup:

S30V is highly rust resistant and titanium, well, you can leave that on the bottom of the ocean for 1,000 years and it wont rust.... so what's to worry about? The screws? They are mirror polished stainless steel, hardly a rust magnet! ;)

You should know......If a Sebbie don't rust in Durban it won't rust ANYWHERE:p

Back