Would you guys take take along your Sebenza on possibly wet camping trip?

The ENTIRE THING is made of either Titanium or Stainless Steel.

Why on earth would you even worry or have a question such as this?!

Just for the hell of it...

"Water" doesn't faze a Sebenza.
As a matter of fact I clean mine frequently under running water whenever it gets filthy, sweaty, or exposed to fruit juices, animal blood etc. Leaving dirt, salt and/or acidic matter in contact with the blade is about the only way to do any damage to it at all. I shake/flick it to get most of the water off and wipe the blade on my shirt tail, close it and clip it in my pocket, that's it, down the road I go. I do place a single tiny(!) drop of machine oil in the female hex bolsters to prevent moisture from getting to the threads. I only do this a couple times a year or whenever I decide it's time for a thorough teardown/cleaning. The secret to all of this is the pivot bushing/washer lube. Use ONLY Chris' lube OR Krytox (same thing Chris repackages/sells) You need a "grease" not an oil for it to stay put and last. It never ceases to amaze me at the cheapass SOB's that will drop the coin on a CRK and then put the cheapest fuckin' lube in it or use whatever is "handy" on their bench. For Christ's sake people, get the fuckin' lube. It also the single *best/greatest/mostawesomest* O-ring lubricant, AND a single syringe will last you many many years. /end

I never really thought about it, but considering Chris designs his knives like a machinist, the grease makes sense. There are good reasons why you use oil on one thing and grease on another. I've been using Miltec-1, a super-synthetic metal-impregnating gun oil, but I bet the grease is a better idea since it's thick. Guess I should order a tube. But there is also that stuff that Surefire uses for o-rings on the flashlights, the CPF people love it, can't recall it's name...:confused:

The ENTIRE THING is made of either Titanium or Stainless Steel.

AND a single syringe will last you many many years. /end

To everyone who have used CRK Fluorinated Grease, will 1 syringe really last years? This is taking into account that it is only used on 1 Sebenza.

How often do you guys apply this?

If doesnt last even a year, are there cheaper alternatives, that work just as well?

Am I cheap, not really. I am asking because I don't live in the US and shipping is quite high. If there is an alternative that I can buy in large quantity, if the CRK F Grease doesnt last long, I would definitely go for the alternative.. After all, they are machined parts, just like machined parts of other machines and knives.

Last edited:
Let me put this lube thing in perspective...

The amount of grease needed to properly lubricate the pivot bushing and washers is LESS THAN the size of a grain of rice. Actually about HALF (1/2) that amount would be a pretty close. Please remember this critical joint is machined to very high tolerances i.e. .000x"(!) Once you tighten that, there's only the thinest FILM left on the surfaces. That's why I tried my damdest earlier to describe the procedure. You're NOT gooping this thing up with any kind of lube because that is counterproductive/wasteful and does nothing but attract dirt/sand/grit to one area that you want to keep clean! Any excess grease that squeezes out should be cleaned off. Now, picture that syringe and think of how many applications you will get, AND, here's the missing variable not discussed a lot, you don't need to tear down and lube a CRK frequently!!! Once or twice MAYBE three times a YEAR is all an average user needs!! Even if you are one of these sick in the head OCD types that has nothing better to do that take apart his knife all the time, you will be in a geriatric care home before you can use up that tube of lube. Hope that helps.

@JK86, you're thinking of Nyogel. That's NOT SUITABLE for this application. Far too viscous and not formulated(whatsoever) for an application like this. Buy the f'in lube. :D

Best regards,
Dr. Lube :p

To everyone who have used CRK Fluorinated Grease, will 1 syringe really last years? This is taking into account that it is only used on 1 Sebenza.

How often do you guys apply this?

If doesnt last even a year, are there cheaper alternatives, that work just as well?

Am I cheap, not really. I am asking because I don't live in the US and shipping is quite high. If there is an alternative that I can buy in large quantity, if the CRK F Grease doesnt last long, I would definitely go for the alternative.. After all, they are machined parts, just like machined parts of other machines and knives.

How long the lube lasts depends on your use, but it's going to last a lot longer than most other lubes anyway. If you want the best option it's Flourinated grease, and you might be able to find it from another source. I'd trust CRK's choice and just use it. And with the small amount needed, buying that one tube is like buying a bucket.

Let me put this lube thing in perspective...

The amount of grease needed to properly lubricate the pivot bushing and washers is LESS THAN the size of a grain of rice. Actually about HALF (1/2) that amount would be a pretty close. Please remember this critical joint is machined to very high tolerances i.e. .000x"(!) Once you tighten that, there's only the thinest FILM left on the surfaces. That's why I tried my damdest earlier to describe the procedure. You're NOT gooping this thing up with any kind of lube because that is counterproductive/wasteful and does nothing but attract dirt/sand/grit to one area that you want to keep clean! Any excess grease that squeezes out should be cleaned off. Now, picture that syringe and think of how many applications you will get, AND, here's the missing variable not discussed a lot, you don't need to tear down and lube a CRK frequently!!! Once or twice MAYBE three times a YEAR is all an average user needs!! Even if you are one of these sick in the head OCD types that has nothing better to do that take apart his knife all the time, you will be in a geriatric care home before you can use up that tube of lube. Hope that helps.

@JK86, you're thinking of Nyogel. That's NOT SUITABLE for this application. Far too viscous and not formulated(whatsoever) for an application like this. Buy the f'in lube. :D

Best regards,
Dr. Lube :p

Agreed^ and ok no nyogel. You said F-grease was the best o-ring lube ever so that's why I thought of it.

Whatever you do dont get katchup on it.... My wife has the packet collecting habbit and a ketchup packet busted in her pocket with her nica tanto sebenza 1-200 and she did not notice for a day at the most and it ate it slam up. Blade pitted scales pitted took a month at the spa and a deep pocket to fix it. So be warned katchup is the enemy.

Damn....... what the hell is in that stuff??? :confused:

Whatever you do dont get katchup on it.... My wife has the packet collecting habbit and a ketchup packet busted in her pocket with her nica tanto sebenza 1-200 and she did not notice for a day at the most and it ate it slam up. Blade pitted scales pitted took a month at the spa and a deep pocket to fix it. So be warned katchup is the enemy.

I would take it anywhere. I have experienced patches of surface rust on CRK S30V. For extended excursions in a hostile environment, I might break it down and condition everything with FrogLube (or whatever protectant works for you) beforehand.

AriseThreadLongSinceDead_zpsaq6akn28.jpg

I have no experience with H1, but can attest that CRK knives, in S35VN, are highly corrosion resistant, including wet camping and trips to the beach. I've never had pitting or spotting on any of the parts of the knives, including the hardware. The washers get a funky blotchy patina on them regardless of what you do, but it doesn't affect them. It's just the nature of Bronze.

In regards to this thread......wow that's an old dusty one.......next thing you know the "Has anyone tried the new BG42 blades?" thread is going to rise from the grave.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the necropost until now :eek: . Must have been thread hopping through a list of search results...

Back