WWII Japanese Officers Sword, any information is welcome

So my father apparently found this at a garage sale about 45 years ago, there were two, he bought only one, don't ask about the face slapping even I did at about 8 years old, I was a well seasoned antiques hunter/junker with my mom by that age and even I knew that was a mistake LOL.

Anyways, here it is, my mother gave it to my son for his 13th birthday. Any information about it is welcome. I have not removed the handle to identify any makers marks and I know it is missing the lower cover on the scabbord, it was there at one time, but maybe got lost in a move.

The blade has a fair bend about 2/3 of the way down the blade and a few nicks on the blade.

I'm no expert and was just popping in to read the thread. You may or may not know this already, so just to be safe, I'll mention that you should not clean the tang to make any inscriptions more clear. Leave it as untouched as possible. My brother in law wire brushed the oxidation off of the tang of a pretty nice WW II sword and was told that he had pretty much destroyed any substantial value the sword may have had except for a lower priced souvenir. Mike

I know there are fakes out there what I'm asking is were Chinese fakes common 45 to 50 years ago when this sword was purchased?

That I do not know, I know they have been around at least 20 years or more, I have no idea before you could order them on the internet, I would not be surprised.

Doubtful this one is a fake. Not beyond the realm of possibility, but doubtful. You will have to take the tsuka(handle) off in order to see the nakago(tang), to know more about the blade. It is no big deal they were made to be removed. Use a small brass punch and remove the mekugi(bamboo pin). Be sure to remove it in the correct direction, which should be from L-R when holding the sword in front of you as when used. Note, if it was ever removed in the past it may have been replaced incorrectly, therefore look at it closely first and tap the smaller end to remove it. Wrap the blade with an old towel to protect your hands. Hold the end of the handle only a couple of inches above a soft surface and use a rubber mallet to gently tap the tsuba(guard). This wil remove everything but the habaki, which may need to be oiled over a few days to loosen it enough to remove. Be sure to carefully remove the hardware and place in the order removed to facilitate replacement. *Note: They can be difficult after being stored for many years, but it will come off. Remember the two key terms, gently and carefully. Especially carefully, it is a sword, it is a weapon made to kill, it is sharp, it will cut you. Good luck.

I'll do this when i get back home, working on the road right now. I'll post any makers marks when I get it off, I'd really love to know more about it. Does anyone know a source to replace the original brass cap for the end of the scabbord? What are they called? Thanks in advance!!

I'll also post a pic of the left to right bend in the blade, pretty good bend in it.

Looking at your photos again this morning and realized no one offered any info on the mountings. Yours is a type 94 or 98 Shingunto. Your photos are dark and I can not see the saya well enough to be certain. The Type 94 was produced with two ashi (suspension rings), in Showa 13 (1938) the rings were reduced from two to one and designated the Type 98. That is the only difference between the two, and they are removable, so if the lower one was removed at some point it could be a 94 with a missing ashi. What I see in the photo appears to be a 98.

Yours is missing the fittings on both ends of the saya (at least in the photo). The piece you asked about at the bottom of the saya is called the "Ishizuki". The piece at the top is the "Kuchigane". They are getting harder to find, but they can be located.

Thanks, I did a little more research last night on it as well. I contacted a gentleman that makes replica replacement parts, it appears my Saya is missing both the Ishizuke/Ishizuki and the Koiguchi/Kuchigane. I'll have to send him measurements. His name is Fred Lohman.

https://www.japanese-swords.com/

Last edited:
Nothing against Fred, he is a friend of mine, but I would only do that as a last resort. I would try to find originals, they can be located. Shame you couldn't have made it to the Chicago show, this past weekend. Might try gun shows as well, it has gotten where you see a lot of this stuff at gun shows.

It's a geniune WW2 make or slightly earlier, I guess. That button just below the guard is spring-loaded and it pushes that hooked tongue above the guard, freeing it from the the rectangular hole you see on the scabbard. Saw one like it.

So I guess that would make it a gravity knife in New York City since the blade is release by pushing a button on the handle? :D

Here are the makers marks on my sword, it is marked on both sides and has serial number 137

I hate reading these standing on my head.

Signed: Koa Isshin Mantetsu
Dated: Showa Mizunoe Uma Haru (1942)

Back