XM-18 and XM-24 Knives - Generations, History and General Information

Need2Know: Is this saber ground? I'm pretty new to blades so excuse my ignorance, but it looks hollow to me.

Well, pretty much yes-ish. The customs are obviously hollow ground..look at the blade from the tip toward the handle as if going to poke yourself in the eye...customs have an obvious dish-shape while productions are flatter.

Think about the way knife makers grind their blades with a belt grinder. If they grind the blade where the belt is on the wheel there will be a cup (or a concave shape) in the blade. The smaller the wheel the deeper the hollow. If they grind the blade between the wheels with a flat platen behind the belt then the blade grind surface will be flat. Hinderer Knives uses both methods. The production models are flat ground. The custom models are hollow ground. Clear as mud?

I have a 3.5" production warnie that has the laser logo & USA made s35vn on the blade and "Hinderer" engraved on the lockside handle... does that mean it's definitely a Gen IV? Was looking at getting a titanium scale for it and just read it only works up to gen 3 so figured I'd ask here first. Thanks

I believe that all the 3.5 Wharnies are Gen 4........yours definitely is based on your description.......but the easiest way to confirm is to check to see where the stop pin is located.......Gen 4 stop pins are visible when looking down at the XM from the top......it will run between the lockside and the liner and be located above the pivot.

You can get a ti scale for it but you have to get a smooth 3.5 as those are the only ti scales that have the stop pin hole drilled for the Gen 4's.......textured and frag ti scales will not be mountable on your XM as there is no stop pin hole drilled in the scale.

thanks for the quick response, falcon... yeah I can see the stop pin. was hoping for a frag ti =(

Suggestion: Can the OP be revised to show pictures of the different blade grinds listed?

Also, perhaps a short spiel for each of the blade materials listed.

Suggestion: Can the OP be revised to show pictures of the different blade grinds listed?

Also, perhaps a short spiel for each of the blade materials listed.

Perhaps, I plan to add to it over time, too bad I can no longer edit it in this BF but have had Rubi help with that. Stupid forum software.

Hey guys I need some assistance. I recently got this Ina trade and I have no idea what blade steel it is. By looking through this thread this is a gen 3 right? Please let me know thx. It's a 3 inch btw

Attachments

• 2015-01-28 20.43.18.jpg
    2015-01-28 20.43.18.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 130
  • 2015-01-28 20.43.31.jpg
    2015-01-28 20.43.31.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 123
Not sure if this is a documented thing, but I was wondering what generation or year RHK stopped making non-flippers?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a documented thing, but I was wondering what generation or year RHK stopped making non-flippers?

I'm not the largest fan of non-flippers so other(s) will need to correct me or add to this...but...

Because the knives are made in batches, I'm memory serves they were phased out with 24 first, then 3.5 then finally, the 3". I'm thinking there are no logo Gen 4 3.5 non-flippers but maybe some early G4 3.5 non-logo non-flippers. The 3" XMs might be the most recent non-flippers but none have been created in over a year+. Pile on with corrections...please.

Saving up for a XM-24 (4.0") - Generation 2.
Any thoughts as to where best to purchase one? Thanks!

Hey Guys.

I just want to say that the guys at RHK do an exceptional job on their HT's.

Maybe the best out there....

Is it possible to find out at what HRC the current steels are run at?

Might be good info to add to this amazing list....

I am most interested in the HRC for CPM 20CV, but it would be nice to know for S35VN and CTS-XHP as well.

Thanks in advance.

Back