"y2k rollover"

howdy, all. last night i was attempting clay's y2k rollover (on the advanced section of his trick tips) and i couldn't quite get it. cut myself once trying, too. i had to give up and go to sleep, but hopefully i'll get it today. anybody tried this trick besides clay? can anyone do it? anybody have any advice?
thanks a lot.
peace.
aleX.

------------------
"i flip you... i flip you for real..."

"come and get one in the yarbles, if you've got any yarbles."

Nah, I do a couple of finger twirls and that is not one of them. I really hate the part where they stick the needle IN the cut in several different angles to get the Lidocaine in there to suture the wound closed, that part sucks.
biggrin.gif

Clay is awesome at what he does, how he developed all of those through his "Natural Progression" (and I believe him because I never saw a video until a couple years ago and bought Imada's Advanced Balisong Manual in about 1998, some four years after I started...I have no doubt he has done this on his own) Anyway, how he does not look like a Yakuza Member with several fingers missing is beyond me.

The Dude is simply awesome, and if you ever get to see him in person, and you love Balisongs...you'll break out in a sweat watching him.

Extensive finger twirls are just not something I ever invested the time in, Aerials either, but I think those that can do them and work at them, are certainly deserving of respect for the talent, skill and dedication to them.

------------------
Usual Suspect
Ipsa scientia potestas est aut disce aut discede
Some of my Knives and other neat things

I've gotten used to this move, as it's part of my daily routine. It's probably the hardest non-aerial move there is though
tongue.gif
It's all about positioning. if it's too far into the web of your thumb, it's going to start turning. If it's too far to the side, you're going to drop it.

I suppose you could gauge it like this: keep your 4 fingers together, and keep your thumb out to the side so that your thumb feels comfortable. the direction you want the balisong pointing (or to go) is parallel to your fingers.
When I do them I make a small counter-clockwise circle with my hand to guide the balisong. I think it gives it more inertia.
Now you should be holding only the bite handle with the inside of your thumb when you drop the safe handle. You just gotta let the safe handle drop, and when it's pointing to the ground, start the counter-clockwise motion with your hand and let go of the bite handle. Catching it without cutting yourself is a little difficult- I usually don't cut myself when I mess up, but I just catch it closed or something. So my advice to you is to practice just the rotation over your thumb and then drop it, THEN when you're comfortable with it, make the catch.
Or make the catch all along; doesn't matter
wink.gif

Yeah, this move has given me trouble too. I have a harder time with roll overs than any other technique. I can only pull off the y2k about 1 out of 6 times... and even then it looks like crap.
smile.gif
But I think it's just a matter of letting it go and rolling itself. Seems like setup is the key to this, but since I can't seem to get it right either, you probably shouldn't listen to me
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Dave

"One in the hand is worth two in the sheath"

Sure, I do it, and pretty well by now. In the beginning I made a successful y2k rollover 10% of the times, and I almost gave up on the technique.. but now I rarely fail.

I think two good pieces of advice is:

1) you don't have to be fast, in fact, it's easier if you do the technique slowly, you'll be able to catch the safe handle at the right time and avoid cutting yourself.

2) Don't let go of the bite handle too soon. Follow the rotation along with your hand, and just when you can't hold it any longer, let go and complete the rotation!

Hope it help, it worked for me! :cool:

------------------
Balisong Sweden

It came to me after about a weeks worth of working on it. Just try different timings for letting go to complete the rotation. What I can't figure out is that full twirl. Clay just does it too fast and I can't tell what he's doing. Can anybody clue me in?

------------------
Small minds discuss people,
Average minds discuss events,
Great minds discuss ideas.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between a finger twirl and a full twirl, but I think the full twirl is just a finger twirl with the bali facing the opposite direction. I think...

It's a lot like a kickflip, if you try to actually kick the board using your leg it will just go flying off, but if you "flick" your ankle it will rotate. BTW, a kickflip is a trick in skateboarding.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Cameron

"And shepards we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be, En Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"
A few of my first balisongs
My ClubPhoto albums of balisongs and misc knives and wallpapers

Oh yeah, my point: Do not force through the technique, flow through it.

------------------
Cameron

"And shepards we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be, En Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"

Ya know the reverse windwill? Well, do that but when you rotate your hand/wrist for the other handle to come up just soften that movement a little bit and get ready to catch the safe handle. Practice, practice, practice, practice, and did I mention practice?

Remember practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. That means if you are doing it wrong and continue to do it wrong you won't get it, but if you have the right technique and form just keep on at it and it will come to you.

------------------
Cameron

yes, baliman, i skate as well.
smile.gif

thanks for the input, everyone. i can happily say that i've now been successfully performing y2k rollovers for the last 5 hours! wee!
peace.
aleX.

edited for ridiculous spelling mistakes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by alex_111 (edited 06-22-2001).]

Sweet!!!!!! Congratulations! It's pretty fun isn't it?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Cameron

wee!
BHthumbroll.gif

it looks almost as cool as when clay does it (^^^).

------------------

[This message has been edited by alex_111 (edited 06-22-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Detori:
If it's too far to the side, you're going to drop it.</font>

I've found that the closer I get to the end of my thumb the better the control I have. Probably due to the shape of funny Venusian-monkey paws. I've only tried this a couple of dozen times today though, so I reserve the right to change my mind later on.

------------------
What's that - bag of tricks?
... Bag of knives!

... stomp and squish as required ...

WOW! That is very cool!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

general,
keep in mind that that isn't me. that's a gif i found on clay's site. mine looks *almost* as neat as his.
wink.gif

peace.
aleX.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Detori:
I think the full twirl is just a finger twirl with the bali facing the opposite direction. I think...</font>

Nah, they're different. Study the positioning of the fingers in the beginning and you'll see !

YIPPY!!!! Thanks for all the tips 'n' such! I finally got it down consistently and with no trade in blood.
biggrin.gif

------------------
~Dave

"One in the hand is worth two in the sheath"

Back